About dev fees and how to remove them

What is this threatening to @Optiminer? I may not share his decision to remove the miner but you are no one to threaten him or force him to do as you please. Respect his decision.

1 Like

My god fan boys there everywhere lol

I am not threatening anyone, but few people including me are using latest binaries and i thought other might want the same, and as for respecting is decisions i do respect that and no more updates for public.

But for something that has been released in public and then reverted back you can’t call it threat.

If you mistake respect for fandom that speaks very well about how cool you are.

Well I don’t have any reason to defend anyone but it just didn’t sound very polite to me. My apologies if it wasn’t your intention.

I’m flagging your comments as inappropriate because you’re talking about willfully violating the license agreement of the software. See @paige’s post below regarding illegal modification and distribution of software.

@burimaliu the license as posted above prohibits redistribution, so it doesn’t matter from a legal standpoint that it was freely available to download before…if you re-post here that’s a CoC violation and a ban…just saying </takes off mod hat>

The release itself does not contain any copyright restrictions including redistribution, i don’t know how you can restrict a software after its been released without a restriction.

I have nothing to do with that rule, i am not modifying the software nor i am building anything to modify its behavior.

I thought you were talking about the software that the license file was posted above

Are you talking about two different pieces of software here? Because the software referenced in your first statement clearly did contain redistribution restrictions.

From the LICENSE file:

1 Like

Let me put this as simply as I can.

Optiminers software can not be redistributed by you, it clearly says this in thier licence. If you upload that miner somewhere and post a link to it on these forums you will be banned.

1 Like

The release contain LICENSE file which explicitly prohibits 3rd party redistribution.

That’s not the end of the world.

As stated by others already, redistribution of previous version of my miner is illegal by its license.

Regarding new releases of my miner, see Miner- Optiminer/Zcash GPU miner v1.7! - #1146 by Optiminer

3 Likes

Well, @minerzec and all those that were in doubt,
Flypool has implemented SSL and so has Claymore.
The root of this? Well, I don’t need to state the obvious here I guess.

Well, considering that the new optiminer version is as fast as the previous, i’m not that sure

Optiminer’s license won’t hold up in court anyways, he probably wrote it himself.

I think optiminer must not be a miner, other than a test rig. Otherwise, he would realize what he’s really asking for from the miner when he takes a 10% fee for as long as the miner uses his software. He’s asking for 10% of a miner’s gross revenue. The miner is basically giving him 10% of his rig(s), even though the miner shelled out the capital for the rig, got it working, supplies the space for it, optimizes it, maintains it, pays for the power for it, pays the pool fee for it, deals with the heat from it, etc., etc. In other words, 10% of net revenue is a lot less than 10% of the gross revenue. There’s a reason why Claymore has been so successful and is well regarded by miners: he’s sensible about what his dev fee is, and sensitive to what he’s asking for from the miner. He keeps his dev fee reasonable (for ETH, it’s 1% if you don’t dual mine), in keeping with what pools normally charge. If you consider what a pool gives the miner for his 1% fee, it really makes optiminer look like one greedy SOB. When folks get that feeling about a person, many will simply say “screw you too”. He basically brought all the dev fee removal action on himself by not being fair to the miners from the start, and if he had been, he would be making a lot more for his efforts, with a lot less negativity directed his way.

4 Likes

Totally agree, the fee is too high. I never tought to “steal” the dev fee from claymore, because it is a reasonable amount. But iam glad i circumvent optiminers fee