Add Orchard to Zecwallet Mobile and Desktop Apps

gif

4 Likes

I’m excited for @adityapk00 continuing. I’ve been following in some of his footsteps recently and realizing what a substantial contribution he has made. I also would like to see more community involvement, distributed support, a plan to pass the keys to a wider group of “trusted” contributors. I’m also sympathetic to the sentiment that ZWL (and YWallet) could look hotter and be a bit more … stable, less buggy.

While my suggestion that the entire Zcash ecosystem (including zcashd and zebra) could be in a multi-package repo was not well received for fairly obvious reasons, I still think there is a case for bringing together more of the Zcash UI Universe into a single trunk so it’s easier to work on different parts with a consistent view of the code, a consistent development environment, easier sharing, have atomic changes across packages, more easily integrate downstream dependents … I envision a future where building new wallets on the ZWL foundations is a lot easier. In particular, i would like to see web browser return as a first-class target alongside electron, android, iOS. If it was trivial to “npm install zwl” and use the installed client in a browser, a world of possibilities would open up. Browser extensions and non-custodial web wallets come to mind. With a reusable client, i know we could make several beautiful wallets using frameworks like material-ui and ionic. The “UI” part could basically be a skin to the underlying lightwallet foundations that “normal devs” could work on.

These are big topics that are mostly orthogonal to the OP here and I’m probably too long-winded already. I’ll probably get around to creating a top-level post on the ZUU idea (Zcash UI Universe, ZecWallet). I guess the takeaway for this thread is 1) Dont forget about WEB 2) Do we want to think about unifying some of the ZW trunks into a single trunk for the reasons stated above?

I started to play with the idea of a metarepo with a devcontainer here: https://github.com/free2z/free2z/pull/12

Anyways, i look forward to Orchard in ZWL and continued collaboration with zingolabs and others!

5 Likes

when is it planned to release the official zec wallet with all the network capabilities and support for all addresses? zecwallet proved to be weak and not reliable on the distribution of nft :neutral_face:

zingolabs is working on it’s own version as mentioned here:

2 Likes

We have a new beta release (v1.8.0-beta1) of Zecwallet fullnode with Orchard support.

New in this release:

• Add unified addresses
  • Support for sending and receiving funds into the orchard pool via UA
  • Assorted bug fixes

Limitations of current beta:

• zcashd needs to be started manually (It is included in the distribution)
  • User needs to manually run zcashd-wallet-tool to backup their secret phrase before they can use it.

As always, please file bugs or feature requests. We’ll work on adding lite client support next.

10 Likes

Running a separate zcashd with new beta frontend works! Thank you. Here are somethings that came up:

Screenshot_2022-06-25_21-41-29

should say: UA or Z or T address

Screenshot_2022-06-25_21-43-45

Hitting the receive tab reveals UA addresses, but they cut off the ends in the display

Screenshot_2022-06-25_21-43-10

Sending UA → UA (Full privacy mode) works, but when going back to the dashboard, you see (change) as an address. This may be as required, not sure.

2 Likes

Zecwallet Fullnode v1.8.0 with Full Orchard support is now available.

• Full support for Orchard pool (send / receive)
  • Support UAs for sending / receiving
  • Allow moving between pools using configurable privacy.

Thank you to everyone that beta tested and filed bugs and provided feedback.

The Lightwallet beta with Orchard support should be available soon for testing.

18 Likes

How long should it be stuck on the loading screen for a new node?

If you just started this node, it can take several hours or days to sync the Zcash blockchain. Please wait for the sync to finish (since this is a Full Node) before you can use the wallet.

I’d recommend running zcashd in it’s own window so you can track progress.

2 Likes

Fantastic, a big moment!

Note: The .deb installer doesn’t seem to be built for Debian Bullseye (the required dependencies are only up until buster). (now fixed in later release)

3 Likes

A new version of Zecwallet Fullnode with zcashd v5.1.0 is now out.

If you are running a full node, I highly recommend this release - It has several performance upgrades to deal with the increased tx volume of late.

3 Likes

Error: Error invoking remote method ‘doRPC_IPC’: NO_CONNECTION
1.8.0, 1.8.0 beta on macOS 12.4

all time loading…
1.8.1 on macOS 12.4

it just doesn’t work :neutral_face:

1 Like

This is what I get too. I left it for hours and it doesn’t download anything. It makes the folders but that is it. If I quit and reload it a few times it will progress, but there is no blockchain downloaded. I also forwarded ports on my router.

1 Like

Running Xubuntu 22.04 LTS I compiled the latest master and ran a -reindex and was able to sync up my laptop. Progress :cowboy_hat_face: (You can see how long it took from the screenshot)

Also installed latest Zecwallet Fullnode (v1.8.0), and got it working as well. I will note that until your full node has caught up to the latest block height it will not show connected but only 99% synced. You can verify what the current block height is from sites like: https://zcashblockexplorer.com/

3 Likes

So awesome that zecwallet has Orchard and UA!

I’m trying to run it on mac (this version Release Zecwallet Fullnode with zcashd v5.1.0 · ZcashFoundation/zecwallet · GitHub - 1.8.1) yet it isn’t working for me.

Is anyone else having issues?

I’ve attached a photo of what the program looks like when trying to open it.

ZecWallet Lite seems to be working fine for me (using this version Release Bugfixes and Improve Sync Performance · adityapk00/zecwallet-lite · GitHub - 1.17.20)

Does it have UA and Orchard support? The addresses looks like the old version to me.

Thanks for the hard work @adityapk00 !

Same here, Zecwallet Lite v1.17.20 .deb now installing fine in Debian Bullseye, but I see it’s still old Z- and T-addresses only.

(Nice simple interface though, and with a minor tweak for how I execute the binary in my weird, probably slightly non standard Debian environment, I got it syncing and loading in only minutes. It’s probably syncing fine by default in macOS and Windows. I tried a second Debian environment and no modification was needed in how it was launched. Linux (with multiple DEs, not just distros) is a fragmented mess as usual.)

Can’t wait for UA to be added to lite gui @adityapk00, any ETA on that? Quite crucial for ecosystem adoption to have UA as default when we recommend it to people in the big move to simplified UA. Can’t wait to clean up the old two address system and rid of it!

I’m happy to announce a beta program for Zecwallet Lite CLI and Orchard.

Based on previous feedback, the beta program is open early, before all the features are ready. I’ll keep updating this thread with the weekly beta releases until we get to the lightclient launch.

Today’s beta is:

• Zecwallet Lite CLI only
  • Allows creating UA addresses
  • Receive funds into the Orchard pool, including full memo support.

What’s not working yet:

• Send outgoing funds from the Orchard pool.

You can play around with the beta in conjunction with Zecwallet Fullnode that has full orchard support. Please file bugs if you run into issues or have other ideas to improve Zecwallet Lite.

Please make sure that you save the seed phrase used, since you will almost certainly need to recreate the wallet or rescan the wallet at some point.

Download the binaries here (or compile from source): Release Beta1 with Orchard sync · adityapk00/zecwallet-light-cli · GitHub

6 Likes

Running v1.8.3 with external zcashd v5.2.0

Screenshot_2022-08-02_10-04-04

Clicking on the Receive button on the left hand side then the Unified tab shows ZEC funds at 0, when in fact it does have a balance. Clicking on Dashboard or Send you can verify this.

I’m using Zecwallet Lite GUI v1.17.20, and it’s taking considerably longer to sync than old versions of Zecwallet Lite, is that normal?

In addition, Zecwallet full node GUI v.1.8.3 isn’t working for me on mac, is anyone else experiencing issues?

I thought it was supposed to have zcashd built into it, so are these instructions no longer valid? (found on: GitHub - ZcashFoundation/zecwallet: A z-address first full node and UI wallet for zcash)

"ZecWallet needs a Zcash node running zcashd. If you already have a zcashd node running, ZecWallet will connect to it.

You need to manually start the zcashd node so that Zecwallet can connect to it. The first time you run zcashd, you need to:

1. Create a zcash.conf file with at least:
server=1
rpcuser=<someusername>
rpcpassword=<somepassword>
  1. Run ./fetch-params.sh to get the Zcash params
  2. Run ./zcashd-wallet-tool to configure your seed phrase and set up your Orchard accounts.

All binaries needed are included in the distribution."

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I just quit zecwallet lite (it was saying syncing batch 0 of 116 and was going very slowly).

I deleted the folders: “zecwallet” “Zecwallet Lite” and “Zcash” in Library/Application Support, restarted zecwallet lite, and made a new wallet with new seed phrase.

It then only had to sync batch 0 of 1, and started up in under a minute.

Is something wrong? That’s a large difference. What about the other 115 batches?

did you have to download zcashd separately? My 1.8.3 zecwallet full node isn’t working