All ECC teams focused on wallet performance

Hey everyone, Ian here from ECC. It’s been a few weeks since my last post, so I wanted to provide everyone an update on the work ECC is doing to mitigate performance issues related to the ECC wallet SDKs.

This remains our top priority and focus as a company. We continue to have a cross-functional team working on these issues.

ECC updates:

• We’ve integrated diverging rust libraries to ensure all new performance improvements and bug fixes are deployed consistently across the iOS and Android mobile SDKs as well as zcashd. This will help ensure users, which rely on our mobile SDK or zcashd wallet, will receive upcoming performance improvements with better quality assurances, and more promptly.

• We’re modifying the wallet SDK architecture to enable performance improvements to scanning and syncing moving forward. This will enable a variety of upcoming improvements to the robustness of syncing a mobile wallet, including recovering when interrupted, improving the syncing protocol to greatly reduce sync time, and lowering mobile device storage requirements while syncing.

• We’ve completed the implementation of zcashd optimizations expected to save memory and to reduce orphan rates for miners. This ensures the main network nodes operate robustly under the increased load which supports all Zcash wallet users.

• Working on abstractions to support ZIP 317 (Proportional Transfer Fee Mechanism) in the mobile wallets. This upcoming change to the fee system will reduce the amount of low-value transactions which make up the bulk of the current load, which will further alleviate syncing issues for shielded wallet users.

• Continuing to work on recursion for Halo 2. While this does not address the current performance issues, it sets the stage for longer term consensus protocol improvements to scalability down the road.

Thank you all for your time and patience. As mentioned previously, if there are any questions, please post them below and our team will answer them. You can also reach out to me directly.

Ian

19 Likes