Cake Technologies Zcash Mobile Wallet Design & Development

Priority is given to the most modern pool i.e. Orchard in this case.
IIUC

1 Like

Pretty cool!

2 Likes

Itā€™s sad to see the reactions to your additional coin support in the Monero community:

Much toxic. So vitriol. Wow.

4 Likes

Just Do it.

Itā€™s a risk I believe @cakewallet took on their users. Whatā€™s funny is that wallet already has Bitcoin & Litecoin but they are bothered by adding Zcash to multi-currency wallet.

1 Like

I was one of this community and mined enough Monero. But I found out about Zcash, installed a wallet and tried z2z. After that I opened an explorer and found that it looks much more interesting. Then I read a lot about snarks and in the end I exchanged the entire XMR for ZEC at a very unfavorable rate at the moment. Today they have a chance to do the same at a much more favorable rate. A chance if they wanted to read and not draw memes. To each his own!

7 Likes

Cake Wallet is going to split their wallet into three separate apps:

Based on feedback, the following is the plan for Cake Technologies:

Drop everything and prioritize the Monero only app. BTW, we have ALWAYS wanted to do a Monero only app for the hardcore folks. Our goal is to have this out by the end of the year and it will be available on Android and iOS. It will still feature the exchanges and ultimately the buying of Monero through credit/debit cards.

Cake Wallet the current app will remain as it is now but may consider additional coins (like Ethereum or a stable coin or wownero) in the future. Nothing will happen until we finish Monero only app.

For zcash, we will build a new and separate app.

1 Like

For clarity, we will fully plan to complete the grant proposal as described. Anything else we do on top (eg: a Zcash-only wallet) is a bonus.

6 Likes

@cakewallet Can you clarify what this means? You will be able to support three separate wallets for Android & iOS?

1. Original Cake = multicoin (BTC, LTC, ZEC,XMR, THORchain swaps, Buy, etcā€¦)
  2. Cake Lite Zcash only (Swaps/Buy)
  3. Cake Lite Monero only (Swaps/Buy)

Is that correct?

12 Likes

My understanding was ā€œOriginal Cakeā€ would not include ZEC at all due to the response by the XMR community, limiting it to the ā€œZcash onlyā€ app, and removing the user base advantage gained by working with Cake Wallet on this grant.

• For zcash, we will build a new and separate app.

This line here, combined with saying the main Cake app will look at ETH/USD*/WOW and avoiding any mention of ZEC, combined with the XMR community being outraged over the mere existence of ZEC support in the main app, is why I say that.

2 Likes

If that is the case it clearly contradicts what they said here when applying for the grant:

Iā€™ll wait for Cake wallet to reply before commenting further.

8 Likes

May be Cake wallet can do a poll on their app, asking if they like to see Zcash on Original Cake wallet. That will potentially bring more clarity.

Waiting for @cakewallet to respond.

Just a general note, while there has been some pushback from monero ppl about this grant (and people claiming they are going to delete cake wallet), my instinct (or perhaps my bias) is that there may be a loud minority making noise about it, but thereā€™s probably a large amount of harmonious users of xmr, zec, btc, etc that likely donā€™t pipe up as much. After all xmr and zec are both about privacy right? Hope the cake wallet folks donā€™t feel they have to bend over backwards and do extra work to satisfy edge cases by making a bunch of stand alone wallets. Mainly, I def hope there will be primarily integration into the multi-currency wallet. This outcome seems to be supported by their statement that a Zcash only wallet would be a plus and above and beyond the grant requirements.

10 Likes

Not sure this is a good idea given the recent reaction to their ZOMG grant being approved.

1 Like

We (the community and ZOMG) should always be reasonable and wait to receive official communication before (over) reacting but given the information presented on Reddit my independent understanding was also that the original wallet would not include ZEC. If thatā€™s the case Iā€™d support a suspension of the current grant until we review the amended proposal.

7 Likes

Itā€™s super disappointing to see the response from the Monero community and I do hope that there will be a multi-coin Cake wallet that includes both Monero AND Zcash. I hope we can all get past this tribalism one day. A lot of their responses are clearly based on outdated and propaganda origin biases.

Screenshot 2021-12-01 220114

5 Likes

@Shawn @kayabaNerve @dontbeevil @David_Heisenberg @anon35140610 @GGuy

As you may have seen, we have a lot of passionate wallet users who are very interested in making sure they trust the wallet they use. After the grant was approved, that prompted quite a few concerned voices in the Monero community.

Cake began as a Monero-only app, and despite us now being a multi-coin wallet that supports Bitcoin and Litecoin, many people still see Cake as a Monero app.

We have addressed concerns of a small number of Cake users by expediting the creation of a separate app that only supports Monero. We also considered making another separate app for Zcash, but that seems to have caused more unnecessary confusion than anything else. Weā€™re sorry about that.

We fully understand that adding Zcash to Cake Wallet is the scope of this grant, and we propose no amendments to this existing proposal nor believe they are necessary. We never want to argue about this sort of stuff anyway; thereā€™s no point in building a wallet people donā€™t trust. As we move forward with the grant, we want to make sure everyone is 100% satisfied before accepting any money.

As a quick update from us: we have received compliance approval to sell Zcash directly to Orchard addresses with debit/credit cards in select US states to start, which we intend to build directly in to Cake Wallet as explained in the scope above. We are interested in doing things the right way above all else.

24 Likes

Appreciate the update and good to see weā€™ll be able to use Zcash in Cake Wallet.

Itā€™s disappointing to see some of the responses from (a small but vocal minority of) the Monero community.

We have more in common with each other than differences, we all recognize that privacy is a human right worth defending, hereā€™s hoping that we see more love and less war as we continue to build for the future we want to see.

14 Likes

That brings up a good question though.

Informal Poll - Like if youā€™d find a ZCash only cake wallet useful.

1 Like

Hi @cakewallet, is there any update that you can share regarding this proposal?

Really excited about this getting implemented in a beautiful UI like Cake Wallet. Cheers!

4 Likes