Decentralizing the Dev Fee

Thank you @mhluongo for your contribution (and for the shout out), it was a great read! I like it.

I’m going to comment via other’s comments first as some of my own initial sentiments have already been expressed.

Question, @mistfpga would this not reduce the value accrual of ZEC over time? Basic supply/demand economics, halving typically drives pricing upwards, if we put back ZEC and extend the next halving, wouldn’t that contribute to a slow growth?

I disagree, I think this is pretty feasible in the short term, conditional that ECC agrees to receive 1/3 of the remaining 20% dev fee (i.e 25% of the 75%)
and that ECC agrees to solely work on ZEC - two conditions which I glean have been a strong point of contention for ECC.

I’ll refer back to my proposal - I agree that this is a gap in @mhluongo’s proposal.

AUDITABLE METRICS

The Zcash , Zcash Foundation, and ECC must work together to develop and achieve consensus on auditable metrics that:

• Show quantitative value to the ZEC economy
  • Track against the strategic roadmap
  • Can be measured and audited by anyone
  • Allows for flexibility in terms of failures, pivots, and adjustments

The Zcash Foundation will contract or hire[4] an individual(s) with the proper pre-requisites (background in blockchain, data, analytics, and design) who will solely be responsible for working with the Zcash Foundation, Electric Coin Company, and external developers to:

• working with the community to define and communicate auditable metrics with product developers (i.e. ECC and external developers)
  • communicate with the Zcash community and host live votes
  • consolidate and publish voting results, feedback, and suggestions at a defined time interval
  • host Quarterly hangouts for discussions

The independent authority who will be responsible for ensuring the legitimacy and validity of reporting will be the Zcash community .

Moving along…

I also agree that there is another gap, @mhluongo, in terms of how to fix the existing grant funding mechanism.

I had a few ideas, but they did require more of a governance procedure/ application… @mistfpga on-chain governance was out of scope for @mhluongo proposal, which makes sense to me. It may be a phase II item: Priority #1 figure out how to allocate funds
Priority #2 figure out how to manage fund disbursement and metrics
Priority #3 figure out decentralized decision-making applications (both on-chain and off-chain)
With a dedicated team and active community, I’m hoping that a lot of ground on these three priority items can be covered in 1 year’s time.

@mhluongo curious to know what you think about my Vesting idea. Decentralized Participatory Voting through VESTING

@mistfpga you lost me here. Isn’t the point for the teams to 1. get funded and 2. build/ implement the ideas

On this, @mhluongo there’s a gap on entry-level participation for teams and/or individuals to begin to learn the code-base. Your 75% Dev Fund mirrors my Endowment Fund, but my ‘Zertilizer’ attempts to address flaws within the existing granting mechanism. Maybe there’s a blended approach that could be explored?

@mistfpga in response to this:

I think it’s a well-balanced meritocracy due to the inherent veto abilities of the network:

and the structure of the ZFND board, as proposed:

I am a little concerned about this:

@mhluongo could you explain to me why a team could receive Dev Fund money but also be justified in not working on ZEC?

Things I really liked with this proposal:

• It’s well balanced between addressing short-term, immediate needs and nodding to longer-term governance
  • It proposes a roadmap to inclusion of external developers (despite not necessarily addressing the current issues with grants)
  • while also preserving stable funding for the principle developer (aka: the ECC)
  • It’s clear, actionable, and able to implement immediately.
  • It moves ZEC towards a Meritocratic and more decentralized governance structure

Things I would like to address:

• It’s fully dependent on the 20% fee from miner’s rewards, I’d prefer a blended approach (like my endowment mechanism) to hedge against risk (aka: temporary reduction in ZEC value and/or hash rate.)
  • It does not address how metrics will be determined and by whom and how much weight they will carry in decision-making.
  • It proposes a Burn Rate

More on Burn Rate
Burn-rate seems like a misalignment of incentive. Metrics, roadmaps, and milestones should keep stakeholders financially responsible and accountable.

Using burn rate to ensure financial responsibility can be uninspiring and thus hamper motivation which can drive developers to other projects which do not cap their return on time/ effort/ capital investment.

If a burn rate is nonetheless decided upon, I’m against discarding the coin. I’m also against moving the halving, as suggested by @mistfpga. This is probably crazy, but I rather distribute the burned coin to all ZEC holders (yeah, even if it’s only fractions) and encourage the network to hold on to them.

Finally, I agree with @avichal here:

And would like to eventually see ECC compete for Dev fund allocation like all other principal developers - something like my Equity fund proposal whereby a track-record of excellent work can make eligible an external team to apply for that 25% reserved for the principal developer.

However, I do disagree here:

I think the suggestion of eligibility around a CFO is fantastic and I would actually extend it to all applicants, with a caveat to make things less onerous, that the requirement of a CFO is only triggered at a certain level of funding.

There are a few comments/threads that I’m still working through- and that some of my questions/comments may have already been addressed- but I’ll continue to post along as I get through the rest of it.

3 Likes