Disappointed with wallet experiences lately

This is concerning. Right now the two official servers are not functional. The free2z lightwalletd is running fine but I assume if a lot of people move to it that it will suffer from the same problems

⚡ grpcurl lwdv3.zecwallet.co:443 cash.z.wallet.sdk.rpc.CompactTxStreamer/GetLatestBlock
Error invoking method "cash.z.wallet.sdk.rpc.CompactTxStreamer/GetLatestBlock": rpc error: code = Unavailable desc = failed to query for service descriptor "cash.z.wallet.sdk.rpc.CompactTxStreamer": unexpected HTTP status code received from server: 502 (Bad Gateway); transport: received unexpected content-type "text/html"

⚡ grpcurl mainnet.lightwalletd.com:9067 cash.z.wallet.sdk.rpc.CompactTxStreamer/GetLatestBlock
{
  "height": "1712154",
  "hash": "1+QVsQAmS0qYVIs3ayxd5WR5VaoLUGYUPg5LAQAAAAA="
}

⚡ grpcurl zuul.free2z.cash:9067 cash.z.wallet.sdk.rpc.CompactTxStreamer/GetLatestBlock
{
  "height": "1736471",
  "hash": "/hQteqRSArnWFfcAsiM9dpm933j3cwXk8fYxAAAAAAA="
}

zecwallet.co is returning 502. lightwalletd.com is behind (almost caught up again tho). zuul.free2z is working but I can tell that the traffic is not extremely high because it’s not using all that much bandwidth.

All wallets should allow users to change servers. Empirically blaze sync doesn’t work for me with the big blocks and old wallet, warp sync does. Are there any theoretical reasons why blaze sync would be preferred?

After 6 days I decided to reach out to Ledger Support. Very kind and helpfull. However the solution according to them would be to buy a different brand of hardware wallet :person_shrugging:

afbeelding

On another note, the CEO of Ledger shared on twitter spaces, Zooko was present, that if the Zcash Community wants to have shielded ZEC on ledger it is possible that a third party can build this and integrate it with their platform.

2 Likes

This statenent triggers me!

3 Likes

For real. WTF is he out of the loop on the current grant?

1 Like

We completed the app long time ago.
Unfortunately, it was never integrated in a web or desktop wallet. Without that, it was not possible to submit to Ledger because it was not possible to use the app. We tried to coordinate and get support to get this used in zecwallet although it was not under our engagement.

More recently, we decided to move forward with integrating ourselves into Zecwallet so there is finally some application that uses the Ledger app we developed. As part of that effort, we have upgraded the app, added support for new devices, improve the code base and we are finalizing the integration. Our team is really looking forward to seeing this being use on a daily basis…

8 Likes

That’s actually pretty good to hear that.

A shame it couldn’t get that integration (seems Trezor will win that race), but glad to hear Zecwallet benefits. Maybe it can also find its way into YWallet as well.

If the app cannot be loaded on a device because it is too large, I don’t understand how it is finished. You don’t plan to support the nano S?

Nano S was originally supported (within the timeline of our development).
Since the time we completed the project (long ago), Ledger kept increase SDK sizes, etc.

Due to the device limitations, Ledger decided to discontinue Ledger Nano S in June:

The recommended and available devices at the moment are Nano X and S+

1 Like

Understood. Is it possible to use the S+ in dev mode or is a special unit required like the X?

Thanks for @ing me. We are absolutely actively working on it. I will post our progress during the last couple of months in the original post soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s no special unit requirement for S+ so you can sideload the app without any issue (except a few annoying prompts about app not genuine etc etc).

As a matter of fact, you’ll be seeing such setup at ZCon3 soon :blush:

6 Likes

Congratulations. I am looking forward to using your app on my nano X.

2 Likes

There’s a new Zecwallet Lite (Desktop) release that should address most of the sync issues and make it reliable again. It features:

• Dynamic batch sizes to adjust for empty/full blocks
  • Save sync progress so we don’t have to restart if we crash
  • Parallelism improvements
  • Improve connectivity and handle server connection failures gracefully
  • Tweak sync parameters to use as many threads as possible.
  • Show much more detailed sync progress and stats

Additionally, Zecwallet’s new LightwalletD server is much bigger, able to serve 10x the bandwidth as before. This should make syncing more reliable.

Thank you everyone for your patience. These improvements will make their way to the mobile apps soon.

14 Likes

This is much appreciated, @adityapk00! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Day 15, still unable to access my ZEC funds on my Ledger.

New desktop light wallet based on warp sync (hanh’s zcash-sync repo) that is built on node/electron/react. What is done:

• it looks cool
  • it syncs (pretty freaking solid)
  • it detects and displays transactions
  • it can receive

TODO:

• send
  • restore
  • hardening

Looking for collaborators. I think it’s going to be a really good option for desktop within the next few weeks.

7 Likes

Trying Ywallet…

2 Likes

how is it now?

it was so gud for a while. currently sum hiccups.

2 Likes