I just wanted to chime in on why I thought this ZIP was the necessary and proper way to transfer this authority to ZODL.
I wanted to avoid establishing a precedent that Keyholder authority is property that can be sold by an organization. I also think that any substantial discontinuity in a keyholder organization should be addressed through a ZIP, not simply through the org’s internal governance processes. If I had my way, the Keyholder ZIP would specify that substantial changes in any of the keyholder orgs must be communicated by updating the ZIP.
In practice, I think the Zcash community’s trust rests with the specific people in these orgs, not with the orgs themselves. If all of the key people in positions of trust move to different orgs or leave the Zcash community, the ZIP should be updated.
Regardless, I think this ZIP establishes a good precedent for how this matter should be handled in the future. At current prices, this structure will be managing funds for a decade or longer, so this kind of situation will inevitably recur.