How to Mine Zcash on Amazon EC2

worked wonderfully. thanks

I’ve updated this documentation to work with Sprout. :slight_smile:

These instructions should be good enough to get you up and running on mainnet.

I’m having an interesting problem. I went with the recommended option #2 for wallet management and on my original AMI had “keypoolsize” : 30001 and presumably this is what I backed up.

However, now when I look on one of my spot instances I’m seeing “keypoolsize” : 30017.

It’s my understanding that the key pool wasn’t supposed to grow until I ran out of keys (presumably from 30k mining rewards?). Now I’m worried about where these 16 extra keys came from and what’ll happen to any rewards I earn.

Have you used any protected addresses?

I haven’t performed any transactions or created any wallets that I’m aware of if that’s what you mean.

However, upon review, I now notice that all my spot instances are showing keypoolsize of 30017. So this likely happened sometime between when I first increased the pool size and my last AMI snapshot which is good. Still no idea how that keypoolsize grew but it doesn’t appear to be an ongoing issue.

I noticed something similar today on my own instances.

I suspect that when we first ran zcashd (but before we refreshed the keypool) it automatically added some keys to the keypool.

Then when we refreshed the keypool, we got 30000 more keys.

I suspected the same thing but still had my bash buffer available to confirm. After generating the extra keys, it was definitely at 30001 (only one key existed prior).

1 Like

“version” : 1000050,
“protocolversion” : 170002,
“walletversion” : 60000,
“balance” : 0.00000000,
“blocks” : 822,
“timeoffset” : 0,
“connections” : 8,
“proxy” : “”,
“difficulty” : 26460.13255759,
“testnet” : false,
“keypoololdest” : 1477723474,
“keypoolsize” : 101,
“paytxfee” : 0.00000000,
“relayfee” : 0.00005000,
“errors” : “”

Do I have this right?

Noob questions. Dos this use a pool to mine? How do I view my wallet address? When should my balance changed? It shows 0 for the last 30 min.

There is SO much hashpower on the network, solo mining is playing the lottery, a balance of zero is kind of expected

1 Like

Why don’t we use xenoncats solvers ? They are supposed to be quite faster on cpu
https://forum.zcashcommunity.com/t/xenoncats-solver-integrated-into-nheqminer/

In the next week I’m going to cut AMI’s with various different miners running, I was focused at first on getting one out that works with zcashd, myself.

@Austin-Williams can you please help me use xenoncat solver like here: https://forum.zcashcommunity.com/t/xenoncats-solver-integrated-into-nheqminer/ ?
What commands should I change in your guide ?

Thank you anyway for your help

noob here, how do u setup the suprnova pool to work with this?

I would be wary of using an AMI built by a third party for crypto currency
mining. It would be trivial to backdoor it.

But I would be open to having a bash script that installed everything!

flypool is the only pool I’ve been able to get working (and even that
required venturing away from the available documentation).

I’ll wait until Dec 2nd to see the results of the Open Source Miner contest
(so we actually know which of the Open Source miners really is fastest on
CPU) and then I’ll write that miner into the guide.

I currently don’t have the time to write a guide for each solver, so I’m
just using tromps miner (since it’s available in native zcashd).

I dont think this is profitable anymore at these prices.

This image shows what happens if you rent out 100 instances for $0.6/hour each for a total of 5,500 hash/sec.
this means you pay $60 an hour but only get 24 back. (yesterday it was 117 so it was still profitable)

2 Likes

Please help me. I have followed all of the steps and amazon is even charging me already. But when I check on the info, I don’t see any changes on my balance:

~/zcash/./src/zcash-cli getinfo
{
    "version" : 1000050,
    "protocolversion" : 170002,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 1540,
    "timeoffset" : 0,
    "connections" : 8,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 49357.06330147,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1477826529,
    "keypoolsize" : 30001,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "relayfee" : 0.00005000,
    "errors" : ""

In the guide, there is no way we connect to pool, right? do we need to connect or use pool?

Also, how do we know our zcash wallet address so that we can for example withdrwaw and deposit it to exchange sites for selling some zcash coin?

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

good questions, Id like to know too!

please someday can help me :frowning: