Let’s talk about ASIC mining

which ZEC is anything but fast.

exactly, however much the ETH ASIC is a slight threat to Ethereum… the Z ASIC is a major threat to being taken over… we know bitmain mines with ASICs behind our back before selling them… if they get away with this one, they can create a super powerful one, mine with it behind our back to get ROI and then do a 51% attack to make bank

right

But he has a lot of $$$ from the Bitmain. He betrayed all of us and changed his words about ASIC-resistance, principles, bla-bla-bla. Businessman Zooko.

1 Like

haha like i sad when he post first time that he works in bitmain factory…he even know that this new ASIC “sound as human conversation at 1m” even no one has seen it except them and there is no such info on the internet …but he still lies how he is GPU miner but how ASIC is something from the heaven and GPU miners are evil people

2 Likes

we wont know if he sold out as he would just receive payment in Ztransactions… the only way to be sure we have not been sold out is if he keeps the companies word and eliminates any ASICs

they can say they are totally transparent… but with Ztransactions… no one can prove otherwise…

has to keep his word or he obviously can’t be trusted.

4 Likes

Zooko seems willing to listen to our arguments. You can’t expect the developers to come to a decision about a hard fork in just a few days. The Z9s don’t ship until mid June, so we have to figure out a solution.

yes he has already bought the asic, so he is just protecting his investment.

He said:

Question remain unanwsered:

Why can’t we prioritize changing PoW over Sapling?

3 Likes

important thing to keep in mind: traders already don’t like the emission schedule. adding more coins at this point in time would most likely be viewed unfavorably by traders.

1 Like

Why would you buy ASIC from Bitmain? if it could make money they would be using it as they are in business to make money. What you are buying is used end of life product as they bring the next generation online or fear or POW fork to recoup their investment no one sells mining specific hardware if they can make more money using it. The Zcash developers are naive (Pollyanna) these people are criminals if Zcash where to go to US$1000 tomorrow you will see network hashrate double from no where due to ASIC Bitmain already has they did this to Litecoin X3 network hashrate in short period of time. This kind of monopoly should be fought otherwise the coin will have a niche following until a truly decentralized coin emerges.

2 Likes

Yes I know, that is why I have never and never will buy an ASIC of any kind

6 Likes

GPU miners are a security issue.
This is pretty visible on this thread now.

You are hilarious. You won’t give your money to Bitmain…you are a security risk.

1 Like

The last of the Pure Land is gone???

Not yet…but the threat is real and imminent. The decision to allow it to happen or not hasn’t been made yet.

In a short term the team should give a priority to algorithm changes for ASIC resistance. Long term is another story, but without successfully surviving in short term there will be no bright long term.

4 Likes

i know i know new user, but i’ve been mining zcash for 9 months, small farm.
i want to say that i had a choice between various hardware and i invested 40k eur in nvidia because of zcash statement that it is and will be asic proof.
yes, maybe stupid, but i think it’s reasonable to ask Zcash to try sticking to it’s own proposed rules.

5 Likes

When I first heard of Zcash, I was excited because it is linked to Israel.

Zcash was developed by researchers at Johns Hopkins University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the United States and Tel Aviv University and the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in Israel.

So I was excited, I promoted Zcash to everyone, even to Coinmamma, another Israeli based firm, who didn’t even know anything about the coin at the time.

I was so excited to think that an Israeli linked coin could do well and hoped it would help the GPU miners - US based GPU companies, AMD and NVIDIA, that has no direct stake in mining at this moment. Instead this coin has been a massive disappointment if it moves to ASICS. It will be a total surrender to Bitmain and ASICS and complete dominance of the coin by ASICS miners. What a disgrace this will be for Israeli linked startups. You fund them and help them enthusiastically and then they turn on you like a pack of wolves supporting complete Chinese control instead of the US and there’s no good reason. I can only think of corruption beyond anything I can imagine. A total and complete dishonor of ethics and founding principles.

2 Likes

Just look at this thread.
Things are very visible.

Most people care about their profits only.
Attacking Zooko personally - trying to force a decision which benefits them.
The arguments are pretty weak - one of them is decentralization, however we have empirical data - flypool.
GPU miners don’t care much about decentralization, profit goes first.

The real value of Zcash goes far beyond the ability to make profits by building mining rigs.
Especially because of Zooko and the Zcash team because they strongly care about ethics.

5 Likes

When it comes to money people word and mission get to change on the fly it is a reflection of their character; Zcash is going no where till they get ethical leadership, @zooko must go, he is a dumb ass programmer…I know because I have many degrees in computer science…it does not take going on 2-years to implement sapling.

Hey @zooko
Don’t know if youll read this since lots of ppl talking shit above but I thought I would also give you perspective of another zec user/miner.
While I agree w/ you on the fact that asic resistant in itself is not sustainable in the long run since newer more cost effective ways tech will always find its use, I don’t think you should accept the inevitable but rather find other solutions.
I find your idea of splitting mining reward between asic & gpu miners interesting but I dont think it is feasible in the long run because odds