Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Texas Instruments does not fab ASIC’s for Bitmain. As bitcartel posted for you, Bitmain states they clearly use TSMC.

Yes this is true, but that is not how this industry works. The are quite a few open foundries around the world. Some are better suited than other to do ASIC fab. So why would anyone want in house foundry capabilities??

So you have been involved with ASIC development? How many ASIC’s have you developed? I have only been involved with 9 so far, but recently started on my 10th.

So what are you saying? You believe TSMC owns or in some way contributes to the Bitmain ASIC’s? I thought you knew about ASIC development??? Do you not understand the difference between the ASIC design and the foundry? The foundry does nothing but fabricate the customers design, in this case Bitmain. Bitmain owns 100% of the ASIC, TSMC just converts the design into silicon. Yes the design and masks need to be tailored to TSMC processes, but other than that they own nothing.

This is how most silicon chips are fabricated. Nvidia uses TSMC and Samsung, AMD uses GlobalFoundaries and TSMC. Intel will almost certainly use TSMC as their foundry when they enter the discreet GPU later this year as their in house fabrication is tailored to CPU’s and they don’t have the expertise with GPU fab that TSMC has.

Edit:
Samsung on the other hand with certainly use their in house foundry for their ASIC’s and discreet GPU’s.

1 Like