Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Totally agree, that’s why i personally stopped mining allready in December 2018.

It just doesn’t make sense anymore on normal low prices to invest that much into mining and sponsoring hardware and electricity companies as these get ALL your money day by day 100% and we miners today never even will ROI in normal electricity price countries ~10cents, leave alone these with high electricity prices like germany for example at 35cents

We all thought the Z9 mini will ROI, it didn’t and won’t. Than the Z9 same game, same result. And i’am pretty sure the Z11 and Innosilicons will have the same faith. The question today is only how much % of the ROI they reach, not if they ROI at all. They simple won’t if you are not in a very loc electricity cost region, easy and simple as that.

You are right with mooning would help. But there are 2 problems with this:
1.) An investment shouldn’t be based on what if mooning prices but more on worst case scenarios.
2.) IF mooning more hardware gets online again, more hardware will be produced, more hardware will be sold. Just logical. Means a mooning effect would be only very temporary.

Just my opinion and some thoughts and the reason that most of my bets/bags go to POS today so i don’t have to sponsor hardware and electricity companies … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Which Equihash flavor is currently considered the most ASIC-resistant?

Not 100% sure, but my from all equihash flavors i’am aware i would bet on equihash 96,5, Minexcoin is using it for example. Next one could be equihash 210,9, but as said, no garantee.

For equi 192,7 and 144,5 pretty sure asics can mine on these allready.

Just my personal opinion from overviewing these from time to time, no garantee. Maybe someone with better technical skill gives an input as well.

1 Like

The fall of Bitmain: Canary in the crypto mine?

https://bravenewcoin.com/insights/the-fall-of-bitmain-canary-in-the-crypto-mine

guyzzz

new bitmain miner - z11

135 000 sols - 1420 watt - 1242 USD

compare to A9+ Zmaster (BEST OF THE BEST, till yesterday)

120 000 sols - 1550 watt - 5000 USD

questions i want to ask to my all fellow miners who always defending their z9 minis (criticacid, boxalex etc etc)

how you guys like this overnight sudden gamechanger for the whole project?

what do you think about those who two days ago bought very best and only miner there is for 5000 usd?

1 Like

i mean, not so long ago, beloved and completely transparent Bitmain did not hesitate to sell you z9 mini with 11.000sols for 1999usd.

and now they suddenly give away 135.000sols for 1242 usd.

but yeah, z11 not avaliable anymore… im guessing who bought them all… which country… hmmm… real mystery…

jokes aside - it is just the beginning.

right now 70%+ hashrate is in China.

with every new asic it will only get worse.

rates at which it gets worse are just shocking.

and you deserve it all, for not resisting.

1 Like

This isn’t a game changer, this is no different than someone coming out with new mining software that increases the hashrate or the new GPU (you know the new card that comes out with 8% to 12% more hashrate). You either keep growing, keep expanding or fall behind.

I was / am already selling my z9 mini’s to make room for a couple of Z9’s, though this addition to the family will mean selling them for less. The Z11 is about 300.00 more than what I was going to buy the Z9 at, so no difference to me.

1 Like

dude, he is still around, dose he get paid for it?

i get paid, sure, why not?

There are clearly several GPU (only) miners here with economic incentives to be anti-ASIC. As long as they adhere to the code of conduct I think their opinion adds to the discussion. For one, it provides a clear example of the behavior that the current distribution creates. This can be valuable for making predictions about future PoW changes or switching to another fairer distribution method.

2 Likes

It’s nice that people know about who I am speaking of.
Anyway I would like to get paid too… LUL

1 Like

The Monero Hard Fork – Did it Help GPU Miners?

Monero’s introduction of the anti-ASIC Proof of Work protocol saw hash rates plummet by 83%. However, the hash rate is already beginning to climb, recovering to 313.75 Mh/s from 95 Mh/s.

The one danger is that over time, Monero’s commitment to its six-monthly hard forks may be unsustainable. This is because community consensus becomes increasingly harder to achieve – the last fork spawned four Monero spin-off projects.

complete article here

2 Likes

While i’am really not a Monero fan i think it’s ok what they are doing and trying to achieve.
They want at all cost stay asic resistant and stay a cpu/gpu coin project.

It’s even interesting to see how it works out long time and i’am all for having a gpu mined Privacy coin like Monero, an asic mined coin like Zcash (which i believe by now won’t lead to anything good), a POS conensus privacy coin like PIVX and or hybrid projects like Dash and others for example.

I’am pretty sure Monero will soon come up with something that might kick off asics for longer. Shouldn’t be too hard to make/modify an algo that is truely asic resistant for longer…

The CryptoGlobe article fails to mention that the Monero spin-offs are obsolete.

Here’s how CoinGecko ranks them by marketcap…

Monero’s network upgrade in October may include switching the PoW to RandomX which targets CPUs:

3 Likes

Thx for sharing the link. Very interesting, while i’am no way nowaday a fan of POW, cpu algos are the only exception that have a future … Just my opinion of course.

EDIT: Link to the actual report from Binance: Digital Assets and Cryptocurrencies | Blockchain Research | Crypto Analysis | Binance Research

1 Like

I agree with most in this report but absolutly not with this:

Outcome 2: Low hashrate = higher probability of 51% attack

As ASIC miners were forced to “opt out”, the hashrate dropped by more than -70%, resulting in a slightly higher risk of a 51% attack.

This just doesn’t make sense. There was mostly 1 facility mining with these secret asics, or they wouldn’t be secret at all. The author forgets this fact absolutly. So there was more or less all the time a chance of a pure 51% attack with the ~70% hashrate coming from asics.
Removing them, especially in the monero case, did not increase the chance of a 51% attack, but very much lower it as the dangerous part, the single asic facility was eleminated on the network.

2 Likes