Let’s talk about ASIC mining

As true as that sentence could be, you wouldn’t have considered writing this if it wasn’t for the ASIC’s coming into play, yes? :wink:

Come on guys, lets keep it honest and real here. If we have suggestions we shouldn’t aim at destroying the ASIC’s, but to offer the best long term solutions for mining distribution.

Let’s not play the “I’m in it for the technology” thing like this, in vain.

2 Likes

There is no evidience for this in the mining pool hashrate Zcash Chart.

Actually it looks more like they got them ready about a week ago IF the unknown miningpool we saw the last days belongs to them, which i’am, after the announcement, pretty sure it is.

Bevor that (~10 days) there has been only 1 unknown miningpool with more than 5 MH/s online and that was the hidden/secret/private Bitmain Mining Pool with <10% hashrate.

Pretty sure that Innosilicon just got them ready at most 14 days ago and is fast realeasing/shipping them to sell them until the market is temporary satisfied … Just my guess!

This problem could easily be fixed with a proof of work tweak.

In Zcash, forks are not easy. The require months of planning.

Edit: they do not require a new multi-party ceremony.

Does requiring a minimum of 4GB gpus disqualify a lot of miners? The system I use for my day-to-day has a 1.5GB graphics card. I’m not saying I would mine on this machine, but some people might want to.

I think there’s a misnomer that adjusting the algo or forking is easy.

There is a lot of testing that needs to be done before putting something into production.

1 Like

There is no evidience for this in the mining pool hashrate Zcash Chart.

More likely not that it was definitely. :slight_smile:

A network upgrade (forking) does not require a new multi-party ceremony (MPC).

We’re only conducting an MPC for Sapling because the underlying circuitry is changing so we need to update the parameters.

Zcash’s shielded transactions rely on zk-SNARKs — small, fast-to-verify zero-knowledge proofs of arbitrarily complicated statements. These proving schemes rely on a set of public parameters that can be used to create and verify proofs for specific computations or “circuits”. Any time we change our construction, we’ll need to create new parameters. Announcing the Sapling MPC - Electric Coin Company

I also just want to say that forking to require 4gb, 8gb, 16gb of memory isn’t a long-term solution. We don’t know how difficult it will be to hard fork in the future. Correcting the parameters should be for reasons of making Zcash easier to use (Ethereum app). Forking with a PoW change should be only for something that is expected to last decades, which takes time to research and discover.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction.

Requiring 4gb (or around there) would eliminate very few GPU miners, since most modern GPUs have at least that much vram.

Do you really think that’s a reasonable goal? It’s not so clear to know what advancements would happen in hardware and computing in ten years.

It’s not so clear to know what advancements would happen in hardware and computing in ten years.

Yes, Bitcoin Cash has been on sha256 since the start.

I guess I don’t see how that is relevant to asic resistant proof of work.

May 9th

June 7

I think something might really be turning over :thinking:

Since Genesis Block on October 28, 2016. It was about 8-9am here when we got our first node live off the testnet and started sending our hashrate from coinmine.pl to our first Zcash address.

The Foundation commissioned a study on ASICs in the Equihash world: home - zcash foundation

Full PDF: https://cryptolux.org/images/e/ef/Zcash_Mining.pdf

3 Likes

So from the beginning of 2018 (mb earlier) we have 1/4 global ZEC hashrate controlled by ASIC’s (Bitmain/Innosilicon/etc.)

A GTX 1080 Ti is already down to 80 cents a day mining Zcash!

The real danger for GPU mined coins is the unwillingness of devs to solve ASICs vs GPUs issues arising in their communities in a reasonable way

This is the only danger, as I’ve explained many times.

It’s impossible for ASICs to win against a cryptocurrency that commits to ASIC resistance.

The feigned helplessness from the Zcash team makes me wonder whether there was some deal involved with Bitmain.

2 Likes

The worst of it we are stuck at two bad extremes now: the ones who blindly defend ASICs, the ones who blindly defend GPUs and worst of all, zooko, who spills blatant public posts without consulting his PR/marketing staff.

1 Like