Let’s talk about ASIC mining

I’d prefer some solid wallets and some marketing

3 Likes

I’d prefer a zec price of at least 300 :smiley:

1 Like

I started way back a round somewhere near the beginning. And held on to my ZEC right up till they announce Asic. I never looked at the profit. Back around Dec 2017 to Jan 2018 I could sold and made tons off of ZEC. But I didn’t and held on. I was one that believe in a lie from Zooko.

I exchange some my ZEC for BTC and sold the rest and built a Solar farm. When Asic enter. I still mine and have over 250 gpu’s mining different coins.

Now on to this word everybody throws around. Profitable. It’s only profitable if you cash it in at that time. Yes down the road it may be if it climbs. Buts that’s the gamble many take.

What the hell is Cryptocurrency for if not to use as a currency.

Thanks for linking them articles and for trying to be helpful, but none of the links you keep posting have anything to do with what im asking. The Github issues is talking about a PoW change from 2 years ago and has nothing to do with changing the PoW because of ASICs, and the disscussion ended before ASICs were even announced. It was not a official meeting by the team on ASIC for Zcash.

The second link from Zooko talks about Sapling being the priority…I understand that, but once again has nothing to do with my questions about what happened before the ASICs were announced.

And in the first post you responded with a link to the may 18 Zcash statement, this again was AFTER the ASICs were announced. Here are my questions again.

I could be wrong, but it seems like ASICs took all you guys by surprise, and ZCash was in no position to respond, so you had to accept them or keep getting attacked.

Just for clarification I am part of the Zcash Foundation which is separate and independent of Zcash Company, and prior to that I was a Volunteer mod here on the forums. I don’t have any more information than what has been disclosed publicly here on the forum, on the chat, or on the blog.

I will say that I (and I believe many of the core Developers) were caught by surprise at how quickly an ASIC was developed for Equihash. For a long time it seemed like ASICs were only for the big players, Bitcoin, Litcoin, etc… and would not be made (due to the huge capital investment) for smaller market cap coins like Zcash. It just didn’t seem to make sense.

It’s unfortunate that the timing of the release of specialized hardware happened to fall right in the middle of one of the biggest “make it or break it” moments in Zcash history. The cryptography behind Sapling is a huge undertaking and (in my opinion) will change all cryptocurrency for good.

I fully understand Zookos perspective to not compromise the key improvements to the protocol by shoving a hard fork into the mix, which may or may not have been effective at holding off ASICs and may very well have compromised network security.

Beyond that info I linked for you, I don’t know what or how much planning or thought went into the question of ASICs prior to thier reveal.

4 Likes

Possible, most new asics for more algos and coins have been released after April 2018 this year. Including Cryptonite, Ethash, Equihash, Tensority, Lyra2REv2 after some break btw. January - April 2018.

However, there have been hints that asics will go for every algo possible as well, good example is Baikal providing Asics for Pascal, Myriad, Qubit, Quark, X13, X14, X15, Lbry, Skein, Nist5, X11Ghost, Blake***. All these released within 2016 - January 2018.

they call them asic but are mainly fpga’s

How did you come to this conclusion? In my books they are pure multi algo asics, even price wise.
I doubt you can get a fpga with 3 hashboards for < USD 1.000, or?

don’t know about all of them but mostly some sort of fpga.

google → baikal fpga

I googled it even bevor the last reply but nothing concrete i found. As said, IF they are some sort of fpga, how can they be sold for below USD 1.000 with 3 hashboards? Doesn’t fit up somehow, not?

i’ve had baikal and the multi algo ones had to be reprogrammed to mine other algo (i couldn’t just switch them quickly).

You can check on youtube to find more detail on that process.
Also machines came out at much higher prices.

And only because consumer fpga is 5000-7000 doesnt mean all fpga are as expensive and high quality either.

to confirm the thesis anyways, best would be writing to them directly, they respond usually under 24 hours.

No idea about the first baikals, but i have 15 Baikal Giant X and Giant B and i switch the algo in faster on them than switching a pool with an Bitmain Antminer. With switching i mean the whole process. On the Baikal choosing another algo and beginning to mine needs about 3-5 seconds. Even auto-multi-algo mining is possible but i never tried this feature.

1 Like

FPGA config on small ones can take less than a second. Most FPGAs are not more than $100 each. The bulk majority sold are small and cheap. People who aren’t in this realm of engineering just don’t understand the difference between a demo/proto board and a tailored design.

2 Likes

looking at network hashrate over equihash coins makes me think that manipulation is going on.
seems that bitmain would like to sell some more asics.

It’s like with dash miners they sell mamy devices 4dummies than the price will falldown … when the zec Coin will be shi … T Coin :smiley:

Saw this article on Reddit, Brian draws some interesting conclusions about ASICs The Equihash ASIC Takeover is Complete | by Brian Stafford | Good Audience

2 Likes

all those conclusions you find interesting were mentioned long before. there is nothing new in the article.

zcash network been given to china and now everybody wondering how it will end… while 2,3 years ago it was obvious for ZCASH that asic resistance is way to go.

it is such a joke, this whole thread.
tons of words, tons of opinions and absolutely ZERO decisions made. absolute zero.

chinese won. you do not control network anymore.
you do not control price.
your ideas about more decentralized network hava fallen.
you are more likely to 51% attacked
and ALL THIS was predicted the moment z9 was announced.

you (zcash team) just do not want to admit responsibility for lost of very important moment.

you did not want to fork, it seemed to extreme… well professor… now you wave hands in the air, but the fact is that harder move is needed. its the price for you to pay for being passive.

while author of an article mentions BTG in such a way “What the Bitcoin Gold team has done is more important as a symbolic gesture than as a hardened defense.” he needs to study more the effects of this decision. compare btg and zec after the fork. till today. compare the whole thing - price, hashrate, difficulty.

if you call BTG decision - just a symbolic gesture.
you have to speak truth about ZEC - symbolic act of sacrificing every single one who believed your anti-asic statement.

2 Likes

TLDR → bla bla bla I’m mad bla bla bla.

You certaintly didn’t read the article since it states that for Zcash ASIC-resistance now, wouldn’t bring a difference and profitability is going to find an equilibrium soon.

sorry i did not read you juhnwisdom, i think you are just trolling with “bla bla bla bla”

you just sit and wonder

• what diff it will be today
  • what will happen with ZEC price when those zec mined in china are sold on the spot price
  • will that huge hashrate attack zcash network or not
  • will my asic roi or not

im so angry that devs choose this way to go.

i think i have my right to write whatever i think of zcash considering i wasted about a year on this project.

when asics were announced - we wrote all those arguments, from an article. what was the response?
stop crying greedy gpu miners, you got it all wrong. network will be secure, decentralized and with less consumption. just adapt.

how is your adoptation going?

now the position is - it is too late.

joke.

1 Like

Just on my pić veeeryy long time ago

1 Like