Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Special “can-kicking” algo.

It generates a VM and executes basic math functions based on somewhat seemingly complex rulesets of some random ordering (like I said if you’re gonna go through that trouble you may as well put a protein or asteroid in there)

1 Like

difficulty spikes to 130M…

but as soon as BTC grows in price, ZEC is just sold massively.

High difficulty and huge selling pressure - result of asics!

drowning among other crypto, slowly dying.

who the hell is now matpool.io???

who the hell is that?

54%??? is that a kind of an attack?

now they are gone again :thinking::thinking::thinking:

what is going on?

It’s a Zen mining pool, (my guess) probably decided to point at zcash for a minute
The network hashing power spiked for a sec before the diff adjustment (indicated by “last block found - never”), diff adjusts, their effective hashing power dropped and they decided no

Zen diff and hashrate both spike at those times which coincides with 1/8 of the total power leaving the network for a few minutes and then rejoining

1 Like

alright, thank you @Autotunafish

4.82 GSol = 4 820 000 Ksol = 96 400 pcs of A9 Zmater /
:thinking:

There is a statement in the article below that I have been saying for months " It may take developers some time, but if an algorithm can be mined, then an ASIC can be built for it."

3 Likes

Hi,

Just want to correct a mistake in that article.

I don’t see how the author reaches this conclusion. I currently run rx vega 56’s and make 3:1 against electricity on monero. (its a bit closer to 4:1 with the current price) I pay around $0.10 for electric. I am not questioning the binance report, but the reporter. why not use this quote from the same report?

• page 44 of that report. it is referencing monero too.

Maybe not quite as catchy?

The point isn’t that an ASIC cant be made, it is that it is not cost effective to make such a device.

3 Likes

They just rake the muck around to make it seem like buying from them is the only option that isn’t completely stupid

its ok for criticacid and others who run asics to throw in here some clickbaits.
everybody got used to this, and left already.

4 Likes

Looks like even GPU miners may be out of luck with the new Monero algo if it works as intended:

2 Likes

I wonder will that RandomX algo be more suited to AMD or Nvidia cards. Traditionally AMD had big advantage on Monero.

“”“We’ve ultimately come to consensus in general that RandomX is what will be implemented. It’s our best shot to preserve monero as it was founded,” said Ehrenhofer. “If this fails then monero will probably move to an ASIC-friendly algorithm.”

But… they promised to remain ASIC free :roll_eyes: … at the very minimum the electronic forums are going to short circuit from the digital tears, if this happens.

1 Like

this part really jumped-out at me. XMR showed their hand. basically gives ASIC manufacturers a public challenge. also tells them they have nothing to worry about once they do figure-it-out. imo, as-long-as XMR stays relevant; ASICs will figure-it-out. honestly believe XMR devs understand this. being said, hope they do pull-it-off.

1 Like

I went down a rabbit hole on RandomX and found this statement

estimates suggest the RandomX algorithm favors CPU miners over not only ASIC miners but GPU miners as well.

from the article –

Leaving GPUs behind

At the same time, estimates suggest the RandomX algorithm favors CPU miners over not only ASIC miners but GPU miners as well.

Graphics processing units (GPUs) are optimized for what Chu calls a “graphics workload which tends to be very sequential.”

“Data goes in at the head of the pipeline and you do some munching on it and it all spits out at the end of the pipeline,” Chu said. “The main emphasis there is fast transfers of data from the input to the output, pretty much in a straight line.”

For monero’s current mining algorithm, called CryptoNight, GPU miners take the lead over CPUs in terms of computation and energy efficiency. Originally, however, even CryptoNight was intended to boost CPU performance over other types of hardware.

“It’s really again kind of an accident of fate that [CryptoNight] turned out to work fairly well on GPUs. Nobody expected CryptoNight to be good on GPUs and it was anyways,” explained Chu. “The fact is today GPUs have so much memory and so much massive memory bandwidth that it’s not very much of an obstacle when it comes to CryptoNight, which was designed back in 2013 or so.”

Soon, with the activation of RandomX, Chu predicts CPUs to be “at least three times better than GPUs” at mining on the monero blockchain.

And while this has disgruntled “a very vocal but extremely small minority” of GPU miners, Ehrenhofer maintains that “people with GPUs can always either resell or repurpose their hardware.”

“If I have a monero ASIC, I don’t have that same economic option available,” said Ehrenhofer.

As such, despite the impact RandomX will have on not only ASIC miners but also GPU miners on the monero network, Ehrenhofer maintains:

2 Likes

That’s a good sign and something, in my opinion, will give Monero a good boost.
That’s exactly how it should be, because literally everybody has somd kind of CPU that could mine. And from what i see they are aiming for cell phone cpu mining as well.

This is the most fair mining approach someone can ask for. It states that it will ensure a period of estiminated 3-5 years of being asic resistant and that’s long enough after somethng new comes out eventually.

And as said, i’am pretty sure it’s the right move into the right direction to move away from mining centralization. It will have a positive effect if every average joe can mine Monero with his PC, Laptop and maybe even cell phone. Something that isn’t even on the road map for ZEC the next years and even not researched…

1 Like