Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Here where we live we have a saying: “Everything bad is for something good”. In this context i thought often about the/you guys that fought anti-asic, many sold their ZEC as a protest what they had and how many of us more or less laughed about that. It turned out to be the right decision to sell than back so for you guys it was at the end of the day a good decision somehow, while others like me that supported asics, just have to regret that we have been that naive.

4 Likes

Ycash is really cool, it’s a fork of Zcash so you might try pointing your rigs at that :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Nothing comes without tenacity.
If you think ZEC tech is disruptive, keep supporting.

@mario made the decision to leave, is he happy with that ? He seems to be, right now.
I made the decision to stay, am I happy with that ? Yes, because it is my decision. No jealousy, no regret.

2 Likes

Well that is nice to hear but little late… I remember fighting you to dead on this topic about Asic here… I also sold then in protest all and “left the chat” … Was 170$ then… Greed killed the crypto… Because some who were creating this coins were “I want to be rich fast”

3 Likes

According to me, linking the fall / rise in the value of a crypto based on the release of ASICS sounds like an intellectual shortcut.

1 Like

Will the upcoming fork make any changes to asic mining? Do we need to change something in software etc …?

1 Like

The next upgrade schedule does not call for a mining protocol change

@Srdjan, @dzonikg :wave: Pozdrav iz NS!

1 Like

Novi Sad? (20 chars …)

Yep yep… but I’m thinking of moving to Geneva soon. The situation is getting really bad here. We seem to have elected some complete idiots here.

Our dear leader has recently announced while evading a journalist question that “They cant handle him because he pours truth at the speed of lightning.”

I fear the poor guy is under a lot of stress.

It is not too late to resume this battle and bring Zcash back to its ASIC resistant roots.

Decentralization and a growing community of CPU miners will be the reward.

RandomX has been live long enough to be considered as a viable option

3 Likes

RandomX is also horribly complex and slow to verify, both undesirable properties for a PoW.

And while it may take a huge design effort, an ASIC should be able to get a 2x-4x efficiency advantage,

3 Likes

If you have a proposed alternative spec where the ASIC efficiency advantage would be less than 2-4x (and require at least as much r&d effort) I would love to see it. So far I am not aware of any better alternatives to the PoW I cited.

Would be nice to have more options besides Bitmain…it seems they are the only ones who produce Equihash ASIC miners. How come there are no other ASIC miners for Zcash?

These are always sold out…

Agreed. There is the Innosilicon Zmaster but the current Bitmain Z15s do about 3x more the hashrate with similar power consumption.

There are Z15s available to purchase @ Compass Mining but you have to host for at least a year. + they are quite expensive.

I also see some Zcash ASICs available on the Blockware Solutions Telegram channel sometimes as well.

1 Like

I recently got a z11 i installed fudware but keeps saying connection error or something like that… what am i doing wrong. I can’t get this thing to work

I don’t know much about fudware but a connection error sounds like either a physical issue or a miner configuration problem. What pool do you have it pointed at?

Don’t remember i went to nicehash and used strantum generator and copied and then used my wallet address.

I have to look deeper into their support level, but was it a shielded or transparent address?