Mining Speculation/Strategy

I get them for $239. They are the only card that doesn’t seem to fluctuate in price. I’d stay with the 1060s but they can be $350 one day and $600 the next. It’s ridiculous.

I have two 1050 ti of two different models and both run at > 170 but consuming “only” 45W…

*wrongly edited

1 Like

Seems like the best price per hash these days is around $1.25 per hash for a 1050 Ti.

If power isn’t real cheap where you live, then paying $1.29 for a 1060 3GB would be a better bet:
https://miningcharts.com/crypto-gpu-mining/gtx-1050-ti/equihash-hashrate/

This ‘flooded used GPU market’ stuff I hear all the time.

Seriously, where are all the used GPUs? I want to buy some. Are all the used GPUs trying to be sold for 2x MSRP? I don’t see any good deals so I guess this isn’t happening??

I was expecting it to happen when the get rich quick miners figured out that it was not profitable. I see a lot of blocks on Flypool being captured by people with little mining rigs. That’s why the hash rate has gone up. I’m waiting for the ones with the small rigs who realize that they are not going to make any money and sell their cards.

It’s either that or people will start flooding the market when the Volta cards hit the shelves. If that were to happen the smart people will start snapping up the 10 series cards as they are still just as good. I will buy it if it increases my overall hash rate.

In Hong Kong right now many local markets are selling gpus at 50% retail price, they are selling directly many many rigs (used rigs).

We still really don’t know that. We know that there is still at least a 20% gain from volta cards, witch are running at 1-1.1K sol/s and there are many new algoryhtms coming out, and eventually volta architeture will have a big advantage in some PoW coins, time will tell, in any case volta are veeeeery valid cards for mining… 1000 Sol/s with 180W is much better for the enviorment (less for the wallet, but we will get there…)!

what is going on here???

yesterday that:

today like that:

by almost the same hashrate:

every pool is decreasing in blocks found

now its back to normal…hmmm…:thinking:

difficulty was huge yesterday for a small time.

I bet anything the difficulty starts to drop after Overwinter is released. @phakov posted about Overwinter as being a hard fork. People tend to flock to any coin when a fork is mentioned.

Though I did the rental model versus mining ZCash and I am making about the same between the two. I’m biting the bullet and trying to slowly build a 7th rig of GTX 1060 3GBs to gain more market share. Just building this rig will get back to what I was pulling in back in November. The problem is for every rig I build I increase my electrical spend which decreases my overall profits.

That is most likely as to what is going on with Flypool right now. The price is dropping while the difficulty is going up. Personally I am still waiting for the smaller miners to start dumping cards onto Ebay.

The used market is filling up with big rigs for sale, but the prices are astronomical. Example a 400 mh etherum rig for 8k. Used! At current prices that is a 36 month ROI. Only silly people would pay that.

1 Like

Do you have the link for that? I would love to see the specs.

It’s up in Canada where I live. All amd 580s 570s and a could r290. Not the best for zec, but I can send you a link if you want. It’s actually selling 11 580 8gb. 3 570 4gb and 2 290.

The rx 580 nitro is 450 new now on Newegg. Still over priced. 450x11 = $5000 plus $1000 for the 570s plus 500 for the 290 at most. So that is $6500 for the cards brand new. 3 psu max 1000 mobo and ram, processor 500 for a total of $8000 brand new with warranties. Converting to us dollars he is asking 8300. Plus it’s in the backwoods so shipping. Basically the rig could be build brand new for less than asking right now. And who knows if this downtrend continues those rx580s will be 400 again soon on Newegg brand new. They were 350 in November.

That’s hilarious. It’s like me trying to sell my car with 100K miles on it for brand new. The person is most likely trying to take advantage of the shortage. Somebody might actually buy that given the DRAM shortage that is going on right now. I read that the mobile phone market is the reason we can’t get graphics cards. The article I read a while back said more memory went to into mobile phones than any other device.

I’m just waiting for cards that come with the new GDDR6 ram in them.

This is why people are selling GPU’s for prices like that

1 Like

Yeah but that is nvidia. People don’t even look at the going prices. In the example above, that might have been a fair price mid to late January when a rx580 8gb was going for 650++ but now they are approaching sane prices in the low 400 area. Also amd are good for flashing a bios and mining ethereum. Well eth was 1000 then and is 450 now.
This is just one example I see dozens of big rigs up for sale, mostly ones for ethereum. Something profitable above say 700 is no longer at sub 500. Electricity when running 15 plus rigs is expensive here. Could be as much as 20 cents kWh with all things factored in. (Cost, delivery, tax, debt repayment - yeah we have to repay the debt that hydro execs have racked up on their pet projects)

I speculate that most people that are selling are just trying to break even. Motherboard, risers, rpu’s, psu’s etc.

People purchased the new GPUs for $750.00 to $1100.00 each because the ROI was 4 to 6 months.

If you had a crystal ball and could see that you could buy the rig, save all the coins it mined and in 9 months it completed the ROI, would you do it? of course you would - speculation and gambling, just like buying Zcash now hoping it will double up soon.

Sure it’s all a gamble. My main point is that these people probably won’t get what they are asking. If they do the person buying is either a bigger fool, or really believes that the coins will take off. I consider a 1 year ROI the max on brand new equipment. A 2 year is silly and a 3 year on used equipment is insane. Sure I guess if you believe the price will triple in the next year and difficulty will not rise - highly unlikely- then maybe it’s worth the gamble. Me I am trading the dips and continuing to mine.

Another example of how I look at this differently. I am an existing miner, everything I have is paid off and is positive gain. I don’t look at a $1000.00 GPU and say/think okay ROI for this is XXX days. I pay for it with mine’d Zcash. I look at it as no fiat out of my wallet, and I’ve increased my hashrate. I am semi reinvesting with profits, I know there is a 3 year warranty on the card, so I should get at least 30 months of mining out of it, unless I decide to rotate it out after 18 months. Even though,if I sell it at 70% off, I still have a positive gain.

math is funny but when done correctly is never wrong:
if I buy it for 60
then sell it for 70
rebuy it for 80
and resell it for 90 I still have a positive gain!

1 Like