Moving the Dev Fund discussion forward

The problem is that the choices are not fungible: It is not clear how one is supposed to combine the answers to the questions.

There is one thing that is fungible: ZEC!

I suggest polling the distribution from 0-1 year, 1-2 year, 2-3 year and 3-4 year (or simply 0-4 year).

Protocol

The ZF creates a shielded address for each potential recipient of the block reward (including the miners).

For example, with the ECC, ZF and ZCG we would have 4 addresses: zECC, zZF, zZCG and zMINER.

Every voter casts a vote by sending a transaction for exactly a total of 0.01 ZEC to these addresses (they can split the amount as they want). Any transaction that sends less or more is disqualified
[1].

At the end of the voting period, the ZF reveals the full viewing keys so that anyone can check the transactions.

The final amount in these addresses determines the reward allocation[2].

How does the ZF prevent double and unauthorized voting?

With Zero Knowledge Proofs…

Setup

The ZF generates a random voting key v_i for each authorized voter. Then they build a merkle tree. This tree has root r and each voting key v_i has a position \rho_i and a merkle path \pi_i. The ZF sends to each voter i their key information: (v_i, \rho_i, \pi_i).

Vote

The voter i calculates their vote id as V_i = \text{PRF}(v_i) and adds a memo containing V_i to their vote transaction.

Also, they generate a ZKP of the statement:

Given the primary input of

• r
  • V_i

there is an auxiliary input:

• \rho_i
  • \pi_i
  • v_i

such as:

• Merkle Path Validity: (\pi_i, \rho_i) is a valid Merkle Path from v_i to r;
  • Vote Id integrity: V_i = \text{PRF}(v_i)

The ZF

• rejects invalid votes when the ZKP does not validate;
  • rejects double voting when V_i is used twice.

1. It arrives, but it is eliminated from the tally. ↩︎

2. With some rounding added maybe ↩︎

4 Likes