Moving the Dev Fund discussion forward

Extending the current Dev Fund is not the only option.

At the risk of repeating myself, other comunity members have put forward alternative options:

The current Dev Fund (i.e. 20% of issuance, split between ZF, ECC and ZCG) could certainly be extended by a year.

It could also be changed, to use the same model but with different percentages and different recipients, for a year (or longer).

That very much depends on what the alternative is. Certainly, a proposal such as @joshs’s Zcash Funding Bloc cannot be ready in time for November.

However, a proposal along the lines of @noamchom’s or @JGx7’s can certainly be put in place by November, as they effectively replicate the existing Dev Fund model, with different recipients and allocations. (There is some uncertainty around @GGuy’s proposal, as it would require more complex changes; so long as zcashd remains the dominant node implementation, those changes would almost certainly require the support of the ECC engineering team, and it’s not currently clear if that would be forthcoming. Perhaps @Daira can comment.)

This poll isn’t intended to assess community sentiment regarding @joshs’s Zcash Funding Bloc proposal.

This poll is intended to gather ZCAP members’ views on What should happen in November?

ECC has proposed that the current Dev Fund should be extended for a year, with the same recipients and the same percentage splits, and that during that year, @joshs’s Funding Bloc proposal should be implemented.

There is no reason a changed Dev Fund (with different recipients and different percentage splits) cannot be put in place from November. And, if that happens, it doesn’t prevent ECC from continuing to work on – and build consensus around – @joshs’s Funding Bloc proposal.

We’re looking at two different time horizons.

The first time horizon is November 2024, which is when the current Dev Fund expires. If the community wants to continue directly funding organisations and programs from coin issuance (i.e. using the current Dev Fund model), then we need to reach consensus on that soon.

The second time horizon is longer term, November 2025 or later, to give the community time to explore entirely different Dev Fund models (like @joshs’s Funding Bloc proposal).

What we decide to do in November 2024 has no bearing or impact on what we do in November 2025.

4 Likes