MXM cards the future of gpu mining?

Are there any examples out there on how to connect these to the pci-e slots on a regular motherboard? I know clarence is doing it and I don’t want to take any of your proprietary items, just a general question.

wait so if these are equivalent of a rx 480? then surely there should already be a version out equivalent to a r9 280? or similar, could anyone give me any info on this?

Did you say EACH CARD is doing 1.7kh/s ?? wtf

actually you can find the older versions on ebay from people taking apart laptops and gutting them out.

but the deal with MXM cards is they are not something you can upgrade easily in a laptop. You usually have to buy 100 min buy direct from the manufacturer because of the way the heat sink will lay out the TDP etc.

the r9 290x mxm card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alienware-17-M17X-R5-ATI-R9-M290X-4GB-GDDR5-Video-Card-MXM-3-0b-V3G02-/231564666271?hash=item35ea54659f:g:qVIAAOSwpdpVWJO2

sorry i meant 1.7kh/s on the entire board.

The link I posted for rx 480 website has all R series MXM cards

As posted above the site has most MXM series cards available to buy new and in bulk orders or single orders, I have not found an adapter to change MXM form factor to pci-e to use on a motherboard or MXM extenders card to run multiple cards from laptop motherboard or server boards capable, I think an email to site I posted might give some suggestions, dell do motherboard with 2 MXM slots and I suspect there will be a device out there to convert 1 MXM slot to 3 like pci-e have, there must be a motherboard out there that can run multiple MXM cards

no there is not. we have made a 8 mxm board to dual quad plex pcie switches
and a 10 mxm board to 3 quad plex pcie switches

output is 3 mpcie on the 10 board and 2 mpcie on the 8 board.

Then you can use computers like the NUC or other mini pc with dual mpcie no problem. You just have to make sure you have enough lanes through the north bridge and the cpu.

I see makes perfect sense and would be a great mining rig, have you plans to sell your design?
Panda mining are offering 4 and 8 MXM mining rigs but only 2 months warranty that will not cover burned out boards, not very appealing

PandaMiner B1 Plus got 8*RX480 MXM
If you are interested in it please contact sales@pandaminer.com

Can you give customers more information regarding warranty, we have discussed your miner and the 2 months warranty seems rather short thanks

pandaminer’s FAQ states:
“Q Can I return the miner?
A Return of goods and refund are not available. But we have a one-month warranty if your miner goes malfunctional. The shipping costs for warranty should be covered by customers, and we will make appropriate compensation for lost mining time during shipment.”

Love to hear more info on the specs etc. I get the idea of a board driving a PCIe MXM expansion board. I’m interested more in the oil baths etc. Details please.

1 Like

i am really interested in this but where can i get boards that will take 8 mxm gpus?

I have an Alienware with two MXM 3.0 B. And I want to buy these GPUs. Anyone have idea where i can get them?

right now you can’t. Sold out with 3 months wait on the MXM cards.

interested in the details of your board, i thought about immersion as well and the board is kind of my missing link. Care to share some more info on it? like to get in touch if you got time

Hi, could you give me more information about your MXM mining GPU?
Where did you get it?
I’ve been looking for a while already.
I sent several unanswered emails so far to AMD resellers.
Any help is welcome.
Thank you.

does somone have some mining results with these cards?