Hello everyone - our second RFP for 2023 is for Unified Address support & implementation by
exchanges. This is open to all exchanges which support Zcash.
The RFP is available in PDF format for sharing here .
Proposals for this RFP can be submitted here.
The Zcash Community Grants (ZCG) committee is inviting qualified companies
(Grantee(s)) to submit a proposal to integrate unified addresses on their platform for all
Zcash deposits and withdrawals.
Zcash is a privacy-focused cryptocurrency that provides users with the option to make
transactions that are either transparent or shielded. The current address format used by
exchanges allows for transparent transactions only. However, the introduction of the unified
address format provides users with the optionality of using the Orchard shielded pool,
transparent transactions, ecosystem wallets, and in the future will provide access to Zcash
shielded assets. Exchanges are not required to support shielded transactions and may
complete the requirements of the RFP by adding support for parsing transparent
addresses from the unified address format.
The integration of the unified address format into exchanges is one of the highest priorities
across the Zcash ecosystem. This integration will allow users to take advantage of the full
range of privacy options offered by Zcash, and will also improve the overall security and
privacy of transactions on the platform.
The Grants Committee is committed to funding the integration of the unified address format
into exchanges and is looking for proposals from exchanges that demonstrate a
commitment to this goal. The committee will prioritize funding for those proposals that
clearly articulate the benefits of the unified address format, the steps necessary for its
integration, and the technical expertise and resources required to complete the project.
The integration of the unified address format is an important step in the growth and
development of the Zcash ecosystem, and the Grants Committee is committed to
supporting its adoption and implementation. The exchange chosen to integrate the unified
address format will play a critical role in shaping the future of the Zcash ecosystem, and
the Grants Committee is eager to work with the chosen exchange to bring this project to
The relationship between the winning Grantee(s) and ZCG shall be that of a grantee and
grantor, governed by standard grant terms and conditions.
2. Project Assumptions
The following assumptions were made in the development of this Scope of Work:
- Technical Expertise: The exchange has the necessary technical expertise and
resources to complete the project and integrate the new wallet type and unified
address format into the platform.
- Adequate Funding: The grants committee will provide adequate funding to cover
all reasonable costs associated with the project, including development,
hardware, software, and licensing costs.
- User Adoption: Users will adopt the unified address format, and there will be no
significant resistance to the change.
- Technical Compatibility: The unified address format will be technically compatible
with the exchange platform and will not require significant modification or updates
to the platform.
- Ongoing Support: The exchange will provide ongoing support and maintenance
to ensure the continued functionality and security of the unified address format.
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance: The unified address format will be in
compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, including those related to
security, privacy, and data protection. Exchanges may parse the transparent
address from a UA and are not required to use shielded pools.
These assumptions are based on the understanding that the project will be executed in a
professional and timely manner, and that the exchange and the Grants Committee will work
together to ensure its success. Any changes to these assumptions or any unforeseen
circumstances that may arise during the project will be communicated promptly and addressed
in a collaborative manner.
3. Scope of Work
This grant covers the integration of a new address schema for Zcash
transactions using a unified address format. The objective is to have all
transactions to and from the exchange use the unified address format.
The transactions do not need to be shielded by default and exchanges
may continue to send transparent transactions in the new format.
The work will be prioritized in the exchange’s backlog and the grants
committee is committing to covering reasonable costs for development.
Project goals and Required Elements (if applicable)
- The goal of this project is to provide a seamless and secure experience
for users who transact in Zcash on the exchange, and to ensure that the exchange is in compliance with current best practices for Zcash wallet infrastructure.
- A successful implementation of the unified address format requires an
exchange’s users to be able to send ZEC to a unified address and receive
ZEC by providing the user a unified address.
- Analysis and assessment of the current Zcash wallet infrastructure and
existing address formats supported by the platform
- Development and integration of the new unified address format for Zcash
- Testing and quality assurance of the new wallet type to ensure its
compatibility with the exchange platform.
- Deployment and implementation of the new wallet type, including any
necessary updates to the exchange’s user interface.
- User training and documentation to ensure smooth adoption of the new
- Ongoing maintenance and support to ensure the continued functionality
and security of the unified address format.
- Deployment plan: A high level plan outlining the steps necessary for
deploying the new wallet type and unified address format on the
exchange platform, including any necessary updates to the user interface.
- Training/Informational materials: A set of training materials for users,
which could include blog post, videos, presentations, and step-by-step
guides, to ensure smooth adoption of the unified address format specific
to your platform
4. Supporting Documents (delete if there are no attachments)
- Zcash improvement proposal 316: Unified Addresses and Unified Viewing Keys
ZIP 316: Unified Addresses and Unified Viewing Keys
- Zcash Protocol Spec 5.6.4: https://zips.z.cash/protocol/protocol.pdf