[Updated] 2.0.5 release delayed, expected next week

A heads up that we’re looking at a 24-48 hour delay on this week’s zcashd release. This release will include the new consensus rules which codify the turnstile defense against counterfeiting policy (see the blog post on that) and the Sprout-to-Sapling migration tool (expect more details and updated documentation on this tool at release time). Stay updated in the community chat.

Thanks for your patience!

7 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: How does turnstile defense against counterfeiting work

3 posts were split to a new topic: Slow blockchain download

Hey, this was 3 days ago, any progress on it ?

2 Likes

Important update: Other issues were discovered on testing the migration tool.

“The team discussed it and the plan is to release the migration tool with the following fixes included: Remove unused specifier from format string by bitcartel · Pull Request #3997 · zcash/zcash · GitHub, Don't allow Sprout-to-Sapling migration when syncing during IBD or after wake from sleep. by bitcartel · Pull Request #3995 · zcash/zcash · GitHub, and a PR to change the default expiration number of blocks for migration transactions only from 20 to 450. In addition, as part of communications for the release and release notes, we will recommend that if you have migration turned on, you don’t manually spend Sprout notes to help mitigate this data leakage issue. The Arborist team will also further look into possible avenues of attack after this release goes out to see if any further improvements must be made. We aren’t committing to a new date just yet but our current estimated date for release is Tuesday [May 14th].”

5 Likes

The “PR to change the default expiration number of blocks for migration transactions only from 20 to 450” can be found here: Increase expiration for Sprout->Sapling migration transactions · Issue #3999 · zcash/zcash · GitHub

1 Like

Hi Paige,

As an infrequent reader of the forum, but a person with a long-standing interest in Zcash, I wonder if you and your colleagues might consider the following:

I try to update my zcashd every 6 months or so, and occasionally boot up my openbazaar store to see if I can generate any sales in Zcash. I check the exchange rate occasionally, also. I bought into the whole zerocoin/zcash idea relatively early, and I am not a large holder of any particular currency, but it seemed like the professionalism and expertise of the Zcash/ECC team would give it a great potential for success. I am saying this to provide some context for where my opinions are coming from.

Anyway, I find a lot of the communications on this forum difficult to understand because of a rather heavy use of jargon – it is not even jargon – but a shorthand which over emphasizes code-names or specialized terms which are part of some kind of brand identity.

For example, your post mentions an “Arborist team”. Since the releases of zcashd seem to have tree-related code names (Sprout, Sapling, etc), I would infer that the “Arborist team” may be a group of developers responsible to validating the latest release, but I don’t know. Are there another teams of “Grounds-keepers” or “Pest-management team” or “Irrigation” also? Do you get my point? The name, “Arborist team”, is kind of cute and it probably does something within ECC to build team cohesion or identity, but it is rather confusing to an outsider without some context.

One way of dealing with this might be to provide some additional, redundant, language when you use these short-hand names for things. For example, you could say, “The pre-release validation team, “Arborist Team”, will …” or something like that. Honestly, I would find this helpful when you refer to the “Sprout” and “Sapling” or other milestone releases, too. I don’t know which is the earlier or the later release, and if you included a little redundant information such as a numeric release number, it would help when I go to check my zcashd to see which version I am running, or when I have to google to find out why I can’t transfer between a “Sprout” and a “Sapling” shielded address (maybe I have the names wrong here; but this is something I recently encountered when I had different versions of zcashd running on different machines.).

In addition to casual users like myself, you might also consider the intelligibility of these code names to non-native-English speakers.

All the best,
pbtc

5 Likes

Update: A 2.0.5-2 release is expected tomorrow! Final tests completed and we’re wrapping up the release process tonight and tomorrow morning. Thanks again for your patience!

4 Likes

Great news, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great feedback! Thank you, we’ll definitely consider all these points going forward.

For some context on the Arborist team, see the weekly engineering updates. Here’s the latest one: May 10, 2019 - Weekly Update (Engineering)

1 Like

Give us the good news already :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re close. At this point, I suggest staying updated via the community chat. :slight_smile:

This is really good feedback, pbtc. Thanks! I think you’re exactly right that codenames make it more fun and social for insiders at the cost of making it opaque to members of the community who don’t have time to keep up with every post. And I agree that it could help to add redundancy, like never using a codename without also explaining what that thing is (that it is a certain team, or a version that was released on a certain date, etc) in public communications.

5 Likes

Hey paige, any progress on this ?

On the chat it looked like the new release was about ready Friday, but since they don’t release on Fridays this Monday is more likely.

1 Like

We also included an update in the weekly update. Apologies for not linking that here on Friday!

2 Likes

– thank you for your consideration

The release went out last night and we published the announcements this morning:

Info about 2.0.5-2 release: New Release: 2.0.5-2 - Electric Coin Company
Info about the new migration tool that was included in this release: Sprout-to-Sapling Migration Tool - Electric Coin Company

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: No transactions created using migration tool