Temporary re-allocation of funding among Zcash entities

I like the spirit of “we should put more resources into the teams most efficiently addressing the problem of basic Zcash functionality.”

I think there are separate questions here and all of them are worth asking and talking about.

1. Can ZCG find ways to efficiently spend more on core dev priorities that overlap with ECC/ZF work and their teams, without funding ECC or ZF directly? (e.g. can it fund contractors who work alongside ECC/ZF on these priorities?)
  2. Should we temporarily let ZCG fund ECC and/or ZF teams directly to work on these priorities, as a temporary emergency measure?
  3. Can we reroute more of the block reward than is currently going to ZCG, ZF, or ECC to these priorities, as an emergency measure?

Is this decomposition helpful?

To me #1 seems like something that could just happen right away and #2 seems like something that should be easy to talk about and is likely worth moving on as an emergency measure within legal limits.

#3 seems the most delicate since it involves balancing a ton of tradeoffs, some of which I’m sure I don’t know about or fully understand, but is also worth talking about. Can someone chime in with a primer for all of us on what these tradeoffs are and what the limits are?

3 Likes