01/Aug/19 Total rework of format and ZIP to incorporate feedback.
New feedback required please.
@nathan-at-least - this is my proposal I would like your comments on.
ZIP proposal Keep the block distribution as initaly defined. 90% to miners
czip v zip click to expand
This is a community ZIP (CZIP) and not a ZIP ZIP. hopefully I can make this into a ZIP from feedback. Please reread this proposal and make any suggestions below. I am open to changing quite a lot of it and welcome discussion on any part or aspect of it.
I may have made mistakes in typing this up, so all comments are welcome.
If this proves useful I will publish my guide on how to write and fill out these sections. Also I can do a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of formatting, etc. I do need some basic information from you though.
If this current proposal is okay and signed off by the foundation/ecc as a decent example. I will pass my guidelines for how to fill all this stuff out (80% of it can be done by someone else, you just need to engage in questions) I dont want to publish guidelines for them to be wrong and people to have to redo work.
I have created a pull request for the foundation to include the guidelines (as requested by @sonya). the request can be found here
The formal ZIP process parts are taken from this guide by the ECC
1 - Header
Title: ZIP proposal Keep the block distribution as initaly defined. 90% to miners
Adviocte: mistfpga (zcash forums)
ZIP Status: Draft
Community Status: Request for comments @ Updated 1/aug/19: ZIP proposal Keep the block distribution as initaly defined. 90% to miners
License: CC BY-SA 4.0 (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0) 
Additional Community Status header information - click to expand
Community Status, what part of the process is this zip at.
- Request for comments (from anyone)
- Request for proposal (formal request to help make into a proposal)
- Request for technical review (requesting technical feedback from the ECC)
- Final (this zip is finished and ready for submission)
It should contain the URL of where the discussion is taking place. forum/github
Note: at any point in this process, even if it is labelled final people can still comment. If the status is Request for comments, the ECC can still give technical feedback.
Should these additions get accepted I will add a guide on how to use them.
2 - Terminology
To understand this ZIP it is critical that people understand the right terminology so their requirements can be quickly checked.
The key words “MUST”, “MUST NOT”, “REQUIRED”, “SHALL”, “SHALL NOT”, “SHOULD”, “SHOULD NOT”, “RECOMMENDED”, “MAY”, and "OPTIONAL"
Have special meaning and people should familiarise themselves with it. - https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2119
For clarity in this zip I define these terms:
- Mining software in the context of this zip refers to pool software, local mining software, or staking software.
- Mining is defined as the action of processing transactions, so this include proof of stake, if zcash would switch to that.
- Mining coins transferred via fees are considered rewards (infinite), coins generated via block generation are considered distribution (finite).
- T1 fee is the standard transaction fee that a sender puts on a transaction to get it included into a block and processed.
- Block distribution is defined as the block reward - mining fees [T1 fees].
- Spirit is defined as what is the intended outcome of the zip.
3 - Out of Scope for this proposal:
- Governance on how decisions are made, this ZIP is not meant to be used as a form of governance.
- Future funding
- It does not cover other donations or revenue streams but it does cover how the current FR funds should be used at a very top level.
4 - Abstract/Spirit
The main spirit is not to stop potential future funding, it is to ensure that the FR ends.
It is a simplistic short zip to honour the inital contract of 90% of block distribution by giving miners 100% of block distribution goes to miners after the first halving.
The mining community has already raised enough funds for the ECC to work until NU5, they should be spent on zcash.
Hopefully it will be compatible with a number of other zips and can be worked into them.
5 - Motivation and Rationale
- To ensure the initial contract is honoured.
- To build trust within the long term holders and non active participants that the rules that they initially agreed to will be honoured.
- Breaking this trust and enforcing some kind of mandatory donation via whatever mechanism would be seen as continuation of the FR
- The ECC should use the funding as they have stated they would in the initial contract.
- The community has managed to raise an extra years worth of development funds via the FR, this should be used for development of the zcash protocol for as long as those funds last.
- The ECC’s sole source of income is the FR
- The ECC has enough funding until NU5
6 - Requirements
- The ECC MUST use the FR funding to fund zcash development and adoption until it runs out.
- This zip SHOULD NOT preclude the ECC from sourcing funding elsewhere, or from donations.
7 - Specification
- The existing Founders’ Reward consensus rules , MUST be preserved.
FoundersReward(height) MUST equal 0 if Halving(height) >= 1
(For clarity once the halving happens the FR stops. as per the rules outlined in ,)
Issues & Further Discussion
This section contains a variety of information, questions and concerns. There is no real structure to answering or questioning this section.
Raised objections and issues so far:
- Nathan and Zooko said at Zcon1 that ECC had roughly 24 months of runway, and that if it went below 12 months, ECC would have to reconsider its All-In-On-ZEC strategy.
Implications to other users.
- Will FR addresses will need to be removed from the codebase.
- Pools and other software may need to make adjustments for this.
Further discussion needed on:
- How to make this zip more compatible with other zips. I don’t want the ECC to go out of business I just want the initial promise kept to.
- Please consider what I can change about this or what you want to change about it and add it to your czip.
- If a governance mechanism is decided for and implemented in NU5 the effect for the ECC should be relatively seamless.
- This gives almost 2 years to think about and switch to a new governance system, using already credited funding.
- Is there enough information for governance people and other prospers to work this into their proposals?
zips that interact with this zip should be listed here if possible
 - https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ <-I like this one best, dont know which the ECC prefers.
 - If there is contradiction between Spirit and any other part of the proposal that needs to be addressed. in the even it is not addressed Spirit is assumed to overrule all.
 - Need to find the quote from zooko.
 - Need to find the quote from nathan.
 - Need to all link to stream timecode.
 Section 7.7: Calculation of Block Subsidy and Founders Reward. Zcash Protocol Specification, Version 2019.0.0 [Overwinter+Sapling]
 Section 7.8: Payment of Founders’ Reward. Zcash Protocol Specification, Version 2019.0.0 [Overwinter+Sapling]
Thats it. It will still need updating but hopefully this helps.
Should I now @ a bunch of people asking for their specific input on particular parts?