Zcash addnode Tor hidden service .onion

Indeed. As we see the demand increase for Zcash addnode hidden service provision then we can start to work around such issues, as a community.

2 Likes

Nodes have been upgraded to Zcash 1.0.7 and Tor 0.2.9.10

3 Likes

Another node

addnode:8233=w3dxku36wbp3lowx.onion

2 Likes

This is an easy way to add nodes to an already running node.

zcash-cli addnode examplexample.onion:8223 add

2 Likes

Thanks! If your node remains stable then it will be added to the OP and configurations. :slight_smile:

How to combine the above config. examples, as follows ;

Tor 1 and Zcash 1 - Proxified Zcash - The most anonymous and censorship-resistant way to run Zcash through Tor. Hides the fact that you are running Zcash. Anyone watching your network would just see Tor connections. You won’t Relay or Exit Tor Traffic for others.

Tor 1 and Zcash 2 - Dual Stack Client - allows ‘clearnet’ Zcash connections + .onion connectivity via Tor. You won’t Relay or Exit Tor Traffic for others.

Tor 2 and Zcash 1 - Not advised - counter productive / conflicted configuration.

Tor 2 and Zcash 2 - Dual Stack Server - allows ‘clearnet’ Zcash connections + .onion connectivity via Tor. Creates your own addnode=.onion address which you might make public for others to connect to or keep private for you and your friends. You won’t Relay or Exit Tor Traffic for others.

Tor 3 and Zcash 2 - as Dual Stack Server - allows ‘clearnet’ Zcash connections + .onion connectivity via Tor - however, the generated addnode=.onion address can only receive incoming hidden service connections. This is due to Tor HiddenServiceNonAnonymousMode forcing
SOCKSPort 0 and SOCKSPolicy reject * Thus, also removing proxy= and/or onion= settings from your zcash.conf is advisable. Note that this combination is most likely an efficient / secure way to run a Dual Stack Zcash .onion mining pool or faucet over Tor! Again, You won’t Relay or Exit Tor Traffic for others.

Other combinations are not advised, are counter productive and/or present a conflicted configuration or simply don’t really have a current use case.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks. This node is not a VPS server in who knows server farm that a VPS reseller gets. Is a server that I take care in my office. We are upgrading our network links and we spect some downtime in the next weeks, around 90% uptime in worst case.
I advertise that this is a node as a generally secure one and not a perfect reliably one.

Thanks! Your contribution in setting up an additional Zcash Tor server is appreciated. Perhaps you can also add a donation address somewhere.

Not running a Tor server / Zcash node at a VPS company can have its advantages and disadvantages, of course.

Remembering that all servers are simply just; someone else’s computer, somewhere on the internet! :grin:

You are welcome. Having a healthy tor only zcash node that connect to 10+ tor zcash nodes is enough reward. In our company we build many authenticated hidden services based IT management and DB tools for our customers. We feel that a privacy preserving crypto currency over tor hidden service was missing. Some of our (more adventurous) customers and suppliers are liking the idea too.

2 Likes

All zcash (named) addnode=.onion project nodes have been upgraded to the latest release 1.0.8

3 Likes

“…Tor developers have medium-term future plans for upgrading the cryptography of onion services, which has the side-effect of increasing onion address length to 54 characters!..”

3 Likes

All zcash (named) addnode=.onion project nodes have been upgraded to the latest release;

Zcash 1.0.8-1
Tor 0.2.9.10 or 0.3.0.5-rc

1 Like

All zcash (named) addnode=.onion project nodes have been upgraded to the latest release;

Zcash 1.0.9
Tor 0.2.9.10 or 0.3.0.7

If you use these Zcash addnode Tor hidden service .onion nodes then please consider a donation to help keep the servers online.

Cheers!

1 Like

Zcash 1.0.9
Tor 0.2.9.11 or 0.3.0.8

"Source code for a new Tor release (0.3.0.8) is now available on the
website. Among other things, it fixes two issues in earlier versions
of the hidden service code that would allow an attacker to cause a
hidden service to exit with an assertion failure."

Regards,

2 Likes

An example Zcash iptables firewall for Linux cloud servers:zcash:

1 Like

@xyZcash thank you for your work!

I’m new to zcash and started a couple of days ago to run my node.
To run everything through tor I had to add a few options to my zcash.conf

onlynet=onion
dnsseed=0

I was wondering if I add all your onion urls to my config, do I still need to use dnsseed?
As it will connect to the ‘normal’ internet.

2 Likes

I should probably point out here that these configurations were originally designed for Zcash node operators to run ‘Dual Stack’ servers over Tor (in the main), allowing for Tor and clearnet connectivity - the configurations were then expanded upon per use case and for Client (only) use.

You are correct in adding dnsseed=0 for optimal privacy for Tor 1 and Zcash 1 - Proxified Zcash (example) and I will clarify settings in the original post. For ‘Dual Stack’ servers this option should be left at the default value.

" -dnsseed - Query for peer addresses via DNS lookup, if low on addresses (default: 1 unless -connect/-noconnect) "

DNS leaks with Tor are not as much as an issue as they once were. Although they do remain an issue, more so with windows.

Using onlynet=onion will enforce using only the specified addnode=.onion addresses in your zcash.conf . Thus, if said services are ever ‘offline’ then you might have connectivity issues.

Whilst only enabling connectivity with .onion addresses is the most private way to run Zcash on Tor (because the traffic never exits from the Tor network), it is perhaps a good idea to allow .exit connections from Tor .exit nodes to reach other clearnet Zcash nodes. Simply having diverse connectivity can also be good for privacy and the Zcash network as a whole.

" -onlynet= - Only connect to nodes in network (ipv4, ipv6 or onion) "

Thank you for highlighting these additions!

This is a work in progress, without a ‘one size fits all’ solution and we certainly require some much more organized documentation.

2 Likes

It is also worth noting that fewer connections are considered to be better for privacy and anonymity than more connections, in terms of the network effect.

Satoshi thought that having 8 connections was ‘optimal’ for Bitcoin P2P (in terms of the network), broadcasting transactions and user privacy etc,. Setting maxconnections= 6 (or even to 4) in your zcash.conf might be advisable for clients who are seeking increased anonymity, for example.

All zcash (named) addnode=.onion project nodes have been upgraded to the latest releases;

Zcash v1.0.10-1
Tor v0.3.0.9

Again, if you use these Zcash addnode Tor hidden service .onion nodes then please consider a donation to help keep the servers online - we will soon require capacity upgrades for some servers! :smiley:

Regards,

1 Like

“New and Improved Onion Services Will Premiere at Def Con 25”

2 Likes