Zcash Elastic Subnet Bridge on Avalanche

I am pleased to report that we have completed Milestone 2 of the ZavaX Zcash-Avalanche Elastic Subnet Bridge project. Please take a look at our GitHub repo here! This fulfills Deliverable 2.1.

We have worked to make the architecture documentation accessible to as wide an audience as possible:

• README files throughout that provide commentary on the design.
  • Clear annotated UML diagrams.
  • Normal English instead of jargon wherever possible.

Though the architecture does get technical at times despite our best efforts, I hope that we have succeeded in delivering something from which everyone can learn and reach a basic understanding of how this bridge works.

We have already begun work on Milestone 3, and it is going well so far. Staying on schedule has been a challenge with this project, but we will be building as fast as we can, all the while prioritizing quality and security the highest. Here are revised milestone estimated completion dates, fulfilling Deliverable 2.2:

Milestone 3 March 31, 2024

• Deliverable 3.1 - Support for bridging ZEC to ZEC.z in both directions on testnets, with a one-validator Subnet, to C-Chain (assuming supported) or Subnet
  • Deliverable 3.2 - UX and UI design for GUI completed

Milestone 4 April 30, 2024

• Deliverable 4.1 - Fully functional deployment to Zcash and Avalanche testnets, with a 3-validator Subnet, with CLI support

Milestone 5 May 31, 2024

• Deliverable 5.1 - GUI: bridge integration into Core or webapp

Milestone 6 June 30, 2024

• Deliverable 6.1 - Successful pass of software audit
  • Deliverable 6.2 - Publishing of the audited source code to a public Github repo

I would like to give a special thanks to @pacu for consulting with us over the past month during the home stretch. Your advice has been invaluable. Also thank you to technical leaders of other Avalanche projects for your review prior to publication. You know who you are! Finally, thank you to @ZcashGrants for your continued support. This project would not be possible without you.

This is an open source project. If you would like to contribute, please reach out, and let’s coordinate.

I am traveling this week, so I am not online as much as normal, but I will try to respond thoughtfully to questions and comments within a day or two! Enjoy.

19 Likes