Zcash gets a mention!

1 Like

From the article:

Under GDPR, individual privacy rights include the “right to be forgotten,” which means that any personal data appearing publicly would have to be deleted.

“Organizations that implement blockchain systems without managing privacy issues by design will run the risk of storing personal data that can’t be deleted without compromising chain integrity,” according to a Gartner report.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe this is a misinterpretation of the GDPR. In this situation it isn’t a purpose of the chain to store personal data. Therefore nodes storing copies of it (but not originating any personal data that they intentionally store on it) are not “data controllers” who would be under an obligation to delete any such data that that gets included on the chain. At most they could be a “data processor”, but they have no contract (either legal or implied) with any data controller that would impose any obligations to delete.

Also, it’s not quite an exact analogy, but consider a newspaper with a wide print distribution that inadvertently publishes private data. The data subject makes a “right to be forgotten” request. Does the GDPR require all of the copies of the newspaper to be retrieved and shredded? Of course not.

2 Likes

This law is really a tough one, even to understand. I have several times readed larger parts of it and it’s still not absolutly clear what, when, why falls under the law and how it even could be garanteed.

It get’s even tougher when someone tries to apply it on to blockchain projects in generally.

Just playing devils advocate here and trying to argue with some arguments:

I think it does not matter if it’s a purpose or not but what matters is just the answer to: Is it stored or not.

That’s an interesting point and makes sense at first view, but there are as well counter arguments for it. For example take an Internet Service Provider. They are providing just the internet and are not involved in anything what the different parties on the internet are doing but are still responsible for what data they store.

First about the word contract. A contract does not have to be a written one. If 2 parties agree to something, use something, give something than they have a contract and are automaticly enforced to follow all law guidelines.

Now who is the data processor and data controller on various cases is a really tricky one thinking about several use cases.
1.) Mining pool case: In this case i could imagine that Zcash/ECC is the data controller and the mining pool would be the data processor. Just in my opinion.
Reason: The miners “work” for Zcash mining the new blocks on the chain. The payment for this work is payed by the mining pool to the miners. Zcash get’s it founders reward from the block. This makes me think this is a case where Zcash is a pure data controller and the mining pool the data processor.
2.) Trade ZEC case: In this case in my opinion Zcash/ECC would be the data processor.
Reason: ZEC is not involved in the trading of both parties but processes the transaction versus a fee. In this case i could imagine it’s seen as a data processor only.

Than there is the part of joint controllers which as well could apply under different circumstances in my opinion. For example when used on Exchanges. Thinking more about the joint controllers it could even apply to the yesterday announced friendly fork.

My observation is that since GDPR newspapers and media in europe are very carefully by today. Nearly no personal data is included. Even when police is searching for criminals and newspaper post these warrants the pictures is pixeled, just as an example.
Than of course IF a data controller/processor isn’t able to erase data like in the case of newspapers there would be a fine and compensation to be paid. Facebook is a good example here.

It’s a really tricky issue. And as said, i’am just playing devils advocate here how the other side could see the issue from their Point of View…

2 Likes

https://usethebitcoin.com/bet-with-decibet-and-be-a-winner/
apparently, you can now wager on sportsball/etc with zcash!

1 Like

Josh has gone Anime!

Zcash BD Josh talks about the potential of “anonymous technology” Interview with Zcash Business Developer Josh Swihart

HOME> Special Feature / Column> Interview> Zcash BD Josh Talks "The Possibilities of Anonymous Technology? Interview with Zcash Business Developer Josh Swihart
Zcash BD Josh talks about the potential of “anonymous technology” Interview with Zcash Business Developer Josh Swihart
Interview 2019/04/16
Shota 【CRYPTO TIMES Official Writer】
ShotaCRYPTO TIMES Official Writer
In CryptoTImes, we will introduce news related to virtual currency and other niche information overseas. I’m interested in Ethereum’s Layer 2 technology.

This time, CRYPTO TIMES conducted an interview when Zcash (Zeecash) visited Japan. Zcash is a currency that can conceal transactions by using a technology called “zero knowledge proof”.

However, from the perspective of being an anonymous currency, there is a concern that it will be used for Maneron terrorism funds.

In this interview, I asked Josh, Business Developer at Zcash, about Zcash, and why anonymous technology is important.

What is the need for Zcash and an anonymous currency?

Interview with Neutrino

— Thank you for accepting the interview today. Please introduce yourself.

Josh: My name is Josh. He is a VP of Marketing and Business Development at the Electric Coin Company, a digital currency company that develops and supports Zcash. Thank you for your consideration today.

• Nice to meet you, too. Recently, I think that the movement using anonymity technology is attracting attention worldwide. I think that anonymity is very important, especially in order to go for enterprise use, is it still intended for such a place?

Josh: We are not particularly focused on the enterprise. This is the part of how Zcash treats privacy and anonymity, and how businesses use technology. Zcash is a “currency” that can protect privacy, and is developed with the intention of acting as a currency that is the medium of value exchange.

Having said that it does not focus on the enterprise, we anticipate that it will be more widely used as a payment vehicle or medium of value exchange, especially in more commercial enterprises.
However, at this time, some kind of anonymity and protection of privacy become very important for transactions.

For example, in a cafe in Europe, it is impossible to simply accept virtual currency payment in that information of both sender and receiver, transfer amount and other data will be disclosed. Under these circumstances, we believe that transactions need privacy from the perspective of protecting customers’ data privacy.

— You said, “I intend to act anonymously as a currency,” but what potential use cases do you assume here? Is there any reason why you should be anonymous?

Josh: One use case that must be anonymous is charity. Currently, many charity organizations around the world use Zcash method.

Recently, Zcash was adopted as one of the donation methods for TOR browser. Money collected through donations is often delivered to politically sensitive areas and dangerous places, and there are many cases in which virtual currency donations are made.

For example, if you donate in BTC to a region such as Venezuela, all the transactions will be open to third parties, so it is possible for the government to go to that person and steal the donated BTC.

At this time, if you have a Zcash Shield transaction, you can not know the details of the transaction, so you can safely complete the remittance without having to put the person at risk.

How to take measures to Maneron

— It is an advantage of the anonymous currency. At present, I think that AML is being strengthened in the world. Not only Zcash, but also other anonymous currencies, there is concern globally for use in money laundering and the dark web, what do you think about these possibilities?

Josh: Currently, we are working closely with regulators, such as NYC’s Financial Services Authority. We are also waiting to meet with the Singapore financial management office.

And, as for technical issues regarding money laundering etc., Zcash offers not only anonymous transactions, but also the option to perform transparent transactions.

Even if you make an anonymous transaction, as well as a public transaction, you can pass the transaction to only a limited number of people by passing a key called “Viewing Key” to a specific person such as a third-party regulator or auditor. It is possible to publish the content.

In addition, if the exchange supports z-address, the exchange can provide the viewing key to the government etc., and the contents of the transaction can be disclosed in a limited way as needed. By the way, in our investigation, there is no fact that we say that funds have flowed to countries such as North Korea using Zcash in the past.

-Previously, the delisting of anonymous currency from the domestic exchange in Japan was a flow that cares about money laundering and so on. Did you come to Japan this time to include negotiations such as having you review about technology with high anonymity?

Josh: There are three main reasons why we came to Japan this time. First of all, we believe that the Asian market is very important. Japan is one of them.

This time I will visit Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong, but I hope that you can really understand and understand what kind of community there is in Asia and who is leading development.

Second, to understand what is happening in the legal context. After coincheck, anonymous currency has been banned in Japan. I think that it is necessary to know firmly before negotiating a re-listing in Japan in the future whether this is due to JVCEA, JFSA or something specific rule You are It is very difficult to build trust, but I think it is more important to listen to and understand their opinions at the same table than to contact by e-mail.

Finally, there is a broader Education on Zcash. One of the goals is to engage closely with the communities around the world about what kind of currency Zcash is, what kind of mechanism it is, and what is the road map.

What is necessary for the spread of anonymous technology that Zcash thinks

— I believe that anonymous technology is currently receiving considerable attention worldwide. Even now, some currencies have come out using technologies such as Mimble Wimble. How are you planning to disseminate Zcash’s anonymity technology etc? Also, what do you think is necessary in order to use anonymous technology more generally?

Josh: Our focus is on Zcash, which of course includes research and development. The subject of this research is how to clear layer 1 scalability. One of our cryptologists is already working on what is called “Sonic” in the sense that the technology of Zk-SNARKs will be used more in the future.

In addition, by using ZK-Proof technology, it is Succinct (concise) block chain that does not require Parse analysis of the entire block chain, and development of “zexe” etc. that realizes privacy in smart contract We are also advancing.

Since Zcash itself was originally created by seven cryptologists from famous universities such as MIT, these technologies will all be cryptological, but various developments will continue to be generally used. I do research every day.
Since Zcash itself was originally created by seven cryptologists from famous universities such as MIT, these technologies will all be cryptological, but various developments will continue to be generally used. I do research every day.

— Among the contents we saw earlier, it was reported that Zcash was considering migrating from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake or hybrid type algorithms. How is this content progressing now, and why are there reasons for considering these?

Josh: Zcash has a lot of very talented engineers, and these discussions take place on a daily basis. Some engineers think that Proof of Work is not enough to keep the network secure in the long run. Mainly on issues such as mining decentralization and energy consumption.

At this stage, the transition has not been decided yet, but there were certainly proposals to adopt hybrid algorithms of Proof of Work and Proof of Stake. The Proof of Stake is very interesting as a governance model because it gives the holder an incentive to hold by adding not only simple transactions but also stakes to the use of currency.

In addition, performing a lockup makes the network more secure. However, we can not say anything as it is still under discussion. Please think to the extent that you may move in the future.

• Thank you. Last but not least, in 2018 Crypto Winter was said by the public. However, I believe that worldwide blockchain technology has been re-recognized. As Zcash, what kind of part will you focus on in the future, not only in Japan but also in the world, and what purpose do you want to comment on?

Josh: Currently, we’re the team’s most focused on layer 1 scalability and wallet usability improvements.

I think that every project is focusing on Adoption part, for example, from the time you buy the currency, you have already registered KYC’s process and account information, purchased BTC and ETH and sent it to the wallet … There is a Friction Point (friction point) in the place.

We believe that accelerating adoption is to reduce these frictions as much as possible. We think that easily enabling shield transaction with wallet is one of these steps.

In addition, it is an investment in a place that mainly develops layer 2 privacy called Bolt labs, or is like Wrapped ZEC (WZEC) using a side chain, and ZEC widely in various places such as DEX. I also think of things that can be used. From now on we will only do what we can do.

Finally

It was an interview with Josh, a Zcash Business Developer. Currently, even in the world, anonymous technology has become a technology that attracts a great deal of attention.

Even in Japan, anonymization is often the question when trying to introduce blockchains for the enterprise.

In the future, I would like to pay attention again to how blockchains will change in fields such as Zcash and Zk-Snark, and how the anonymization technology will spread in Japan as well.

(Interview / Edit: Arata)

Get information on CRYPTO TIMES LINE @!

1 Like

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ey-releases-zero-knowledge-proof-183500996.html
(earnst & young using zkproofs on ETH. zcash not mentioned.)

why should they mention it? they got it for free including all updates.
Maybe we get some small remark at the end of the list somewhere on the last block, lol.
(ironic comment!)

seems ethereum has benefited more from zkproofs than zcash. very ironic lol

2 Likes
1 Like

https://www.zeroknowledge.fm/73

1 Like
2 Likes

The new version allows up to 450 trades per second.

No mention of zcash or other cryptos but just about privacy:

1 Like

https://hacked.com/zcash-zec-the-swiss-bank-account-of-cryptos-spikes-to-six-month-high/

“We generally can see that the Zcash network spreads over all northern continents. From a country perspective, the clients are mainly present in Russia and the United States. From a conti- nent perspective, however, the network is evenly distributed over Europe, America, and Asia”

“in contrast, the mining power distribution clearly shows a skewed distribution, suggesting an immense centralization of mining power. We observe that around 51% of the blocks are created by 16 miners, out of which ten are located in China. Overall, 53% of all observed blocks originate from China, 10% from France, 9% from the United States, 5% from Germany, and 4 % from the Netherlands

3 Likes

“We observe that around 51% of the blocks are created by 16 miners, out of which ten are located in China”

2 Likes

plz pump zcash, china …m fmly