ZCG Grant Idea Thread

Login with Zcash

(B1° 100+)

There are probably a few ways this could be done but the idea revolves around the user proving they have access to the private key (or other secure information) and a website, web app, service, or mobile app issuing/using the subsequent access token. I can also imagine scenarios where access tokens are on-chain. In the future ZSAs could be used to encode user data (e.g. badges and subscription information) and access rights (e.g. admin).

° I suggest B1 be a user challenge/response and let/fund wallets/clients think about how best to solve this problem. e.g. could I login using a hardware wallet?

6 Likes

Cool idea! Also, imagine if there were Zodler Badges so when you would “Login With Zcash”, the site/service/product that you’re logging into could give you special badges or added features if you’re a long-term zodler! :grin:

7 Likes

Sidechains - The Z Amigos

(B1 1000+)

Using the above features (i.e. forks, asset locks, ZSA-addresses) should be enough to create 3 sidechains. I advocate that sidechains are probably the most powerful feature a zk-proofs chain can have. Optionally these sidechains could be self funding. Fees for transactions on sidechains can not only fund nodes and the cost of merging but also contribute for future maintenance/development.

ZCompute

This sidechain will enable user defined contracts. These contracts will allow the user to programmatically control how and when transactions occur.

ZRollup

This sidechain will enable anonymous groups of users to aggregate their transactions. This enables users to transfer their assets at a much cheaper rate.

ZLend

This sidechain utilises the fork asset locking functionality. These locked assets can then be used as collateral for other assets.

° the dependencies (e.g. fork, consensus callbacks, asset locks, and ZSA-addresses) haven’t been included in costing. But given these side chains themselves pose no risk to main chain consensus I believe all 3 of this could easily be beta’d in 1000+)

4 Likes

Building Zec clusters

Earning zec by visiting physical locations. Today, I will visit kitsilano Beach because I know I can collect three different zec rewards at this location. I visit the Canteen, Maritime Museum & payparking machine an at each location I import a new viewkey. This viewkey has a few unique features, A Zaddr to send a message to receive the zec reward, plus a message “Visit Segal’s Bagels - Special 12 Bagels for 0.09 zec only today”
Getting users into physical locations is hard work. Rewarding users with Zec for visiting phyical locations sponored by business to Use Zec as advertisements.

3 Likes

Trusted Nodes:

When a zec user launches a new zcash node, normally they connect to eight nodes. Often, the zec user does not pay attention to which nodes they are connecting too or the importance of the node connections. Awareness of the importance of node connections is growing and we need to build a network of trusted node operators.
Let’s Subsidize Business Partners to operate trusted nodes. Who, receive a zec subsidy to operate nodes to a set of principles and flash their external ip addresses. So, when zec users light up a new zcash node they have a trusted choice for the node connections.

2 Likes

I’ve added some weird code for my above suggestions since we are not comparing apples. We can only compare if we know the time scale. Accurately measuring hours is hard but I can attempt to ballpark the scale.

Work Hours

100+ = 100 to 1000
1,000+ = 1,000 to 10,000
10,000+ = 10,000+ (none of my ideas are 10,000+ plus but this would be what sharding falls under).

Release Type

POC = proof of concept
B1 = first beta
R1 = first release

Summary

I recon all from current state of thing to a Z Amigos beta we are still under 10,000 hours (assuming ZSAs are delivered).

1 Like

On reflection I think we need multisig as a priority. Not sure if this is something appropriate for an RFP or something ECC is already working on.

Limitless (recursive) Multisig Addresses

Most implementations of multisig have hard limits on how many signatures they allow for a multisig address. With recursive proofs we should be able to effectively remove that limit and have 100s of signatures.

Transaction Contains Signature Proof

Not sure if this is the correct term but given all signatures will not be stored on-chain there are some applications where the participants wants/needs to prove they were part of a transaction. Is this possible?

3 Likes

Unreal Engine 4.26, 4.27, 5 - zcash test net intergrattion.

As an indie game developer in Unreal Engine 4, I would like to be able to use zcash test net in my game through a simple to use ue4 plugin.

Use case:
Virtual, Visual, Interactive Education for simulated zcash, wallet management, zero proof, trustless setup, mining, governance and cybercoins in games, edu and media products.

Used as in game resource to exchange virtual assets “anonymously” between players, ai and for in game virtual economy and game mechanics.

State of the art dynamic presentations and realtime analytics of complex information through gpu and cpu optimization provided by UE4. See information like you never have before.

Brings VR, AR, Hololens capabilities to zcash test net with real time analytics and other possible apps.

Test case for Live Net Plugin.

Requestor: CyberAxe of OutLandishly Crafted

6 Likes

Zcast - A podcast about Zcash - Z-CAST.

6 Likes

Linking this in

3 Likes

Bug Bounty Program - Security researchers and bug bounty hunters to find security vulnerabilities in its website and projects.

4 Likes

The biggest threat to users of cryptocurrency, including Zcash, is having the device where they store their private keys hacked and those keys stolen. Think about the grandma who clicks on misleading popup ads.

Paper wallets are one solution, but it is a pain in the neck to send funds from a paper wallet.

Hardware wallets are another, but not all users are going to buy a new piece of hardware. And then there is figuring out how to use it-- most are far from intuitive. Think about the grandma who can just about use an iPad but nothing more complicated than that.

And yet Zcash, and for that matter all cryptocurrencies, are doomed to failure unless that grandma can store it securely and use it to transact. See my other thread about that.

The best solution to the problem that I have seen is this pair of apps for Android and-- yes! iPad, the AirGap Vault and AirGap Wallet, https://airgap.it/ . I have no connection to this project except as a satisfied user, but I think it checks all the boxes: security, convenience, and low cost.

The way it works is, your private keys stay on an air-gapped device, which runs the Vault app. Once you have the app loaded, you never need to connect it to a network again. You transact using a device which is on the network, running the Wallet app. Data is passed between the two using one device’s camera to scan QR codes displayed on the other device. (In a pinch, of course, you can run the two apps on one device-- but then you lose the air-gap security.) The cost is low because at this point everyone has an old phone, tablet, or iPad hanging around.

There’s more on their website or their github– to their credit, everything is open source and the builds are even reproducible.

The app pair supports a number of cryptocurrencies, and I think Zcash should be one of them. The main developer, Andreas Gassmann, writes that the main issue with supporting more cryptocurrencies are time and funding. There’s nothing we can do to give him more time, but I think a community grant should give him the funding. Maybe once shielded-by-default goes live? It would be a shame to only have support for transparent addresses.

5 Likes

@hanh this made me think of a multisig setup where both the hot and air gapped wallet both need to sign the transaction. Not within scope but it made me think of your proposal :relaxed:.

1 Like

ZWallet has an air-gapped feature (cold storage spending) where you prepare the transaction in the app, and sign it offline with a separate command-line utility.

@MikeInMass It doesn’t use QR-codes like the Vault app because the size of the transaction data is too large and makes it less user-friendly ( ZCash offline signer (cold wallet) - YouTube)
Less user friendly for sure but I’m like a grandpa and I can use it :slight_smile:
@GGuy Technically, FROST is not a multisig protocol but a multi-party ceremony. If you want to do it offline, you would be scanning a lot of qr codes back and forth…

7 Likes

you prepare the transaction in the app, and sign it offline with a separate command-line utility. […]
I’m like a grandpa and I can use it

It’s great that ZWallet has given some thought to air-gapped security, and please don’t take this personally, but the mentality that command-line solutions are in any way acceptable long term is a big obstacle to wide adoption of ZEC and, more generally, decentralization of cryptocurrencies.

Yes, you and I can hack on the command line, and command-line solutions are a great first step.

But the fraction of people in general who can do so is vanishingly small. And those of us who are comfortable on the command line often can’t understand how much normal users are afraid of it. For more than half of the population, once you tell them to open a command line, you’ve lost them forever. If they’re interested in cryptocurrency at all, they’ll retreat to some awful centralized exchange, just because they’re comfortable in its carefully crafted web GUI.

If the transaction data is too large for a single QR code, then for heaven’s sake look into an animated sequence of QR codes. I think there are libraries to handle those, these days.

Whether it’s done in the AirGap Vault/Wallet or in ZWallet or in something else, it’s critical for wide adoption that Zcash have the most user-friendly way possible to store private keys on an air-gapped device and use them to transact on a network-connected device. And I don’t see any safe alternative to some variation on QR codes.

1 Like

Make Shielded trades trustless…

3 Likes

PURCHASE LAND
The price of zec has historically stayed above $50 usd, however long term zec holders may experience more traumatic down swings in the future. One way to diversify some zcash grant holdings while it remains high in price could be for a grantee to purchase a large piece of land (222 acres) for the propose of developing a future home of zcash themed identities in the future.
Example: Satellite Company operating zcash nodes in outer space needs an earth license so the operator is physically located on the future zcash land holdings.

3 Likes

Definitely need to send Zcash nodes to space. Check this out for Bitcoin https://txtenna.com/

2 Likes

Grant idea to work with custody providers like Anchorage, Coinbase Custody, Fireblocks etc to support shielded pool. That makes exchange support easier & straightforward.

4 Likes

Stay tuned to RFI/RFPs for both increasing Zcash nodes and Exchanges supporting the shielded pool.

2 Likes