Miner- Zogminer: Linux SILENTARMY

Really my idea was to run the GPU miner on Windows and the zcash node on a linux VBox on the same machine.
I can try to port the source of the zogminer (only the miner) on Windows.
Yesterday the porting of the test miner from the repository was very simple, it took me about 30 mins. only little adjusting the headers.

does zogminer support new gen GPUs? (Rx series)

You cant do OpenCL on VMWare with the GPUs but you can with the CPUs which is adequate for testing.

Yes it will. I’m unsure yet as to memory requirements for GPU’s but it will definitely work for new gen cards

2 Likes

Yup new cards should work.

Currently using ~500MB

3 Likes

How is the performance? I read that the Toomim bros had some issues with RX480 cards.

Also this topic:

Have you tested with RX cards?

Thanks!

Hey S4Lt! Thanks for dropping by. I just finished the first build of the miner on my laptop and I have pushed it’s nvidia memory bandwidth to the max. I pretty much can’t run the solver without crashing so it’s time to try some bigger hardware.

I’m going over the code a bit today to see if I have a memory leak or if it’s just my hardware isn’t powerful enough. Which if anyone is in LA and can lend me a small rig (maybe just a mobo, decent ram and cpu with an RX card) that would help.

Nope but we need to!

1 Like

I have a couple of Rigs running Ethos right now. Will install Ubuntu on one. Win10 running zcashd in VM on one. To see what is more stable with the miner later. No RX480 cards yet. But I will be getting a RX480 4GB and RX480 8GB (slightly faster memory) next week to compare if it is worth the extra dollars to get the 8GB version or not. I live in Sweden Europe though. Currently I have 24 cards on 4 rigs. 280X and 290 4GB. And 390 8GB.

I can let you know when I have my cards and give you root SSH if you promise not to burn my cards :wink:

Haha yeah man that’s why if anyone donates a card to me, let’s call it a true donation because I’m going to abuse the hell out of it.

1 Like

My test rig is still available via SSH if you want it. Has 200, 300 and 400 series AMD cards available. PM me for login information.

Problem is that in development I can easily make a typo that will chew up all of the GPU and simply turn the machine off, and often at this stage in the dev. So ssh into a machine that I will have to reboot often and code on sounds cumbersome. I need a card here physically.

If I sent you an RX 480 down the coast would you promise to return it? Proof-of-Card? :smiley: I can Priority Mail you one today if you can promise to return it without fire damage.

Alternatively, I could send you a 290 or 380. Whichever is most helpful at this stage.

r9 290s have 4G of mem on them which would be good. I’m currently working with 1.5G and nvidia on laptops so anything would be a huge help. The parameters of equihash won’t allow me to test lower scale numbers anymore. It all eats up bandwidth.

I can promise to do my best. The memory allocated in my current implementations should not go over 2G for testing, of course this is something that I am trying to trim down.

I also need ram, cpu, mobo and psu as well though. I don’t have any of my old milk crates either. Things got shuffled out when I moved to my small apt in downtown LA. You are more than welcome to come visit if you send a rig.

Ok, I have either a R9 290 with 4GB or a reference RX 480 with 8GB. Just tell me which do you prefer and I’ll box it up (just send me a shipping address).

I’ve got a basic CPU/Mobo combo from GPUShack but it is AMD not Intel so IDK if you can use that but if you can let me know then I can send that down to you as well. Only has one 4GB stick of DDR3 ram. If you’d need anymore you’d have to add it and a PSU.

Let me know, I have some free time and can ship it out today but running a mine up here in Washington state is a 24/7 job so I can’t come down to LA,

FYI: It took only 2 days to get something to the East Coast (NY) via priority mail. It typically only takes a day to SoCal.If I can ship before 3pm Pacific you might get it tomorrow, Monday latest.

The RX 480 would be preferred but the 290 works too.

That should work just fine I believe. Although I still need a PSU. It’s my girlfriends birthday today and we are heading to the mountains to celebrate this weekend so I don’t have time or the funds to order a test rig. I’ll see where we are monday and consider just buying a rig locally. People could donate to that cause!

480 works for me.

Do you want to PM me your address for the card or card+mobo?

Sure, that way I could just get the psu locally with the donation money already sent over.

You are in our gitter yes? pm me there zogminer/dev - Gitter

1 Like

Not yet on gitter but will join and PM you now.

Now on gitter. What’s your name there?

Soon…

Just waiting for the address.
Package will contain:

1 - BioStar TA970 Motherboard
1 - AMD AM3+ CPU
1 - Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 RAM stick
1 - Powercolor Radeon Reference RX-480 8GB

If I don’t hear from you then enjoy the weekend and I can ship tomorrow or Monday.

2 Likes