Just to be clear, all of the current “skeleton crew” ML, Hudson, and myself are in favor of funding this project.
We discussed approving it but felt that the sheer size ($1M+) of this Grant deserves a better approval process than a simple majority of two people. It’s not a project issue, it’s a ZOMG process issue.
Imagine if we did have a dissenting vote now, theoretically two of us could be a majority and we could push the approval through. But what precident would that set? When the community voted to approve a 5 member ZOMG committee via ZIP-1014 did they envision a skeleton crew where only 2 of 5 could push through an approval to spend over $1M? That could be very dangerous for unexpected situations like the one we have now, or if a ZOMG member were to suddenly quit mid-term, or if a member was very strongly opposed, etc…
ZOMG set a voting threshold for ourselves to try to push for unanimous vote 5/5 of a grant larger than $100k. The members present and voting thresholds we set were : 3/5 for under $20k, 4/5 for up to $100k, 5/5 for anything above $100k. This is to cover situations where a member is sick or not available to vote and to avoid simple majority overrule for large grants. The next ZOMG could choose to move those thresholds up or down if they want.
In this situation we would be effectively approving the entire amount and making the decision for the next ZOMG. I think that by approving now (even a first few milestones) we set a team in motion and set the communities expectations that the project will be completed. The next ZOMG may want to set thier own milestones or expectations for deliverables when they review the grant application. A partial approval now would short circuit that process.
I know lots of people are anxious to get this going, I just ask that you keep in mind the bigger picture of $10s of MMs that ZOMG will be charged with distributing for the community in the future.
We only have a few weeks left in this year, I fully expect the new ZOMG to be in place and ready to start discussing Grants by mid-January. After the election the new ZOMG could even call for an emergency session (rather than wait for the normal 2 week cadence) to hold a vote.