AMD Hardware GPU Questions

So 8gb 480’s over 4gb versions?

4gb rx 470s and 8gb rx 480s are a tradeoff between ROI and future proofing. Imo, the other 2 variants are neither here nor there unless the price is really good.

dude just look at what you get for your money. I got sapphire 470 really cheap. I was considering to spend another 10% for the cheapest rx480 4gb version but i like the standard cooler that blows the air away from the GPU so i went for the cheaper 470.

My rx480 perform slightly higher than the 470s but I’m not 100% sure the 480 with 4gb mem would do the same and the gain is less than 10%. In addition I also expect further SW development that could change it all.

before you buy powercolor, may want to look at this page and see what it says about throttling and VRM’s, page 73 post 721

I can’t say which is the best, but I have 12 MSI RX480 8GB Gaming X’s and they’re awesome. Bios mod with memory timing only.

150 h/s per card with Equihash with no overclock
31.5 mh/s per card with Ethash with 2250 MHz memory overclock

Fans at 60% and the cards never break 60 degrees Celsius. Even the VRM’s stay below 65.

1 Like

I think MSI 470 and 480s have the best cooling among all the brands.

I use RX 480 XFX and i get about 150 Sol, everything is stock.

what is the specific model of your RX XFX 480?

This is my GPU model : XFX Radeon RX 480, 8GB GDDR5, 256-bit

For mining? Whichever is cheapest but still has a good cooling solution. They’re all pretty close in terms of how fast they can mine, so you probably want low ROI period.

thank you for the reply :slight_smile:

Does anyone have any experience with the R9 Nano? I found them at a local store for $292 which seems like a good deal and I saw that optiminer is claiming 195 Sol/S.

245 on Claymore v7.0 but I think the R9-Furys are cheaper

I am having an issue with one of my rigs which is running two Sapphire RX470 8G cards. I can get an AMD miner running on it for about 30 minutes then it crashes. I see some errors like this in dmesg:

clinfo[2400]: segfault at 1ca18d0 error 15
GPU fault detected: 147 0x0d7a4401

and I get this when I try to restart the miner:

ERROR [default] OpenCL error: cl::Context::Context() (-1) ?

I can run clinfo and it gives me the gpu info back. if I try to start a miner back up more than once it freezes the whole system and I have to hard boot to get back into it. I have reinstalled the OS (Ubuntu 16.04), tried the amdgpu-pro 16.30 & 16.40 drivers, and have AMDAPPSDK-3.0 installed. I am wondering if I just have a bad card(s) at this point. Anyone else experience anything like this and have any suggestions?

Hi, I have a bunch of R7 370 Nitro 2gb. Does anyone know a modded bios for this variant ? I only found 4gb bios.
Thanks

1 Like

I just bought 6x RX480 PowerColor RedDragon 8GB all are Samsung memory and I want to know how to modify the bios in PolarisBiosEditor, can it use 1500 strap same as RX470? Thank you

no 1750 strap up to 2000, but not sure how much it really helps with ZCash compared to ETH
try it and see if you get any improvement

1 Like

Flashed as you told and with 1266/2100 I get 1010H total. Increase core or mem clock, which ome is better for ZEC mining?

seems core clock helps the most for me, i guess watch your watts to see if its worth it
what were you getting beffore flash? if 1010H after?
let me know your results
im kinda pushing it watt wise in my mining room - until i get an adapter to use the AC wall plug i cant really fool around too much… my fuse switch will get hit… already have one GPU disabled so it doesnt hit the switch

Running stock I can get only 990H, I will try with core clock and let you know. Now with 1266/2100 each card uses 85w to 95w with -100 core volttage in msi afterburner