Announcing Zcash Blossom and proposed feature goals

I am an active GPU miner and I mined Zcash for years. But plans to revert back to serve a tiny tiny group of people that want to mine with GPUs is mind bogglingly bad for Zcash’s future.

GPU miners help bootstrap a network until ASICS come online that provide better security and energy efficiency for a POW chain. After a few years ASICS advancement will plateau and prices will drop once again making it accessible to more people. We know this and it’s on the cusp of happening for bitcoin.

Why is there any reasonable case that rolling BACK zcash to decrease its hashpower, use valuable and scarce engineering resources of Zcash Co is in any way a good idea for ANYBODY that wants to use Zcash now or in the future. Miners matter, but what really matters more is trust and use in the underlying financial asset - ZCash coin.

All engineering efforts should be focusessed on making Zcash become a valuable (and thereby useful) money. That means - eliminating the trusted set-up, moving to privacy by default and aiming for more efficient privacy, and empowering the community to decentralize and take ownership of Zcash, rather than Zcash Corp owning everything (perception).

Please don’t waste resources on the few GPU miners that are mad for this month when you should be playing the long game. This is such a silly project to waste time and money on.

4 Likes