Articles about Privacy and Security

so this is how it starts. gl everyone.

It seems like a well funded adversary would do something other than ransomware but idk, cyberwar is pretty messy

Heres some EFF goodies :heart:

Find out if you won the Google lottery

These are some good basics

This one is interesting because it flows back to Zcash’s own privacy narrative and how privacy in the real world and on the internet are not the same because we, people, are not the same in those two places. The shower curtain and other metaphors are great but the flaw is that it expresses solutions as they pertain to the real world but don’t necessarily hold the same water online. In the digital realm the idea that you could choose what shower(s) you go to is erroneous as you will be ubiquitously surveilled before you aren’t regardless of your awareness of its happening because, and due to no other volition of your own besides clicking ‘go’, you’re routed through a dozen different mystery lavatories before you reach the target (or perhaps its better to think that you’re just in all of them simultaneously), not just walking from one room in your house to the other, and so taking the curtain with you everywhere is the only option i.e. works there but not ‘out’ here. Food for thought, anyways…

2 Likes

Do you trust signal?

I can see why people who dont understand crypto or privacy coins might, but arent we both?

1 Like

Zmsg anyone?

3 Likes

The ‘zmsg check’ function looks kinda nifty

I dont think they would have accepted a z2z memo.

the more i think about this the more disheartened I am.

That project looks a lot of fun though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is about a cryptanalysis book written in the 70’s that was only recently released because you know too dangerous as it seems focused on extremely difficult ciphers and (I’ve only skimmed it) much is redacted, 2 others in the series came out in the 80’s, its long

2 Likes

Cross-browser tracking vulnerablity in Tor, Safari, Chrome and Firefox - FingerprintJS

Note, it needs JS running so by default, which isnt in the the Browser bundle.

My results

1 Like

zcash gets a shout out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have found something new (to me)

Ultrasound Cross Device Tracking.

@tromer @Autotunafish I thought you might find this interesting and have some ideas.

I did not know but one of mist has already done a lot of research in this, all of us are interested and we are going to make a few devices to see what we can do. I want to make a spoofer, jammer, fuzzer, passive scanner and mitm. the scanner and spoofer should be easy enough.

I kinda knew this was happening but not that its impossible to stop (they can use resonance of the speaker to do it. so the only way to stop that is to desolder it.) for everyone else this is how they are actually tracking you.

The wiki references are pretty good, so are the microsoft publications on it.

2 Likes

Those applications it mentions as uses work as ‘standalone’ just fine. Complicating a communications protocol for the sake of improved UBIQUITOUS surveillance by making it apart of the effing standard is wholly unacceptable and very, very upsetting.

2 Likes

hey all,

From 2013-16 I’ve worked with ttc.io and a great team, developing relevant content on these subjects, as websites, apps, movies, exhibitions, books, workshops… some I fell relevant to share here are:

Some do an interesting interdisciplinary approach with Data Visualization and Investigation, as main methods to understand and communicate the complexities in between Privacy and Security; and to inspire a new generation of researchers.

3 Likes

Algebra!

This is actually a really primitive concept. You can replicate it (sort of) by hooking up two loud speakers together. If you push in on one of the cones quickly which moves the coil in the magnetic field, you’ll hear it on the other speaker. I’m not even sure if disconnected less than both the speaker wires would mitigate this. This affects leds which flicker as a function of continuity so disconnecting them would work but man that sucks, I liked leds!
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/new-glowworm-attack-recovers-audio-from-devices-power-leds/?amp=1

1 Like

Im sure years ago something similar was done against cashmachines, the LED on the front was blinking everything in plain text. i think it was in the 90s I cant find really anything on it.

And cisco routers, they did it too. it might have been full-disclosure where I read about it. ah well.

1 Like
1 Like

Every time I read one of the articles, I am reminded why we are all part of the forum and hyper supportive of the Zcash mission…

2 Likes

Lately, I’ve been really worried about personal security and data privacy more and more. It’s a pity that in today’s world it’s really hard to do.

2 Likes