Community Advisory Panel 2019

I’ve joined the Community Panel :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thx a lot for forwarding the idea and glad to see at least some might get included.

Mind sharing who invited you? Such info should be shared and made public anyway so it’s clear everything is as intended and transparent.

1 Like

Thats up to the person who invited me, but if they want to share or if its published thats OK with me.

3 Likes

i did!

20 characters

6 Likes

Are there any forum regulars who aren’t on the panel? It’s hard to get this info quickly especially matching names to forum pseudonyms.

1 Like

I am not on the panel, but I also choose not to be when it was suggested to opt in. though it seems I have lost my regular badge

I declined to re-apply for reasons listed elsewhere

Not there…

@Shawn,

maybe you would like to make a correction to Zooko that it’s invite only as well as he invites people on twitter to join the Community Advisory Panel the same way i did here, lol.

zooko

Hey folks! I heard from the Zcash Foundation that you have until THIS FRIDAY, August 30, to sign up for the new Community Governance Panel! If you were a member of the original Community Governance Panel YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP AGAIN for this one. Ask the Foundation.

zooko

Reminder: the Zcash Community Governance Panel, organized by the Zcash Foundation (which is separate and independent from me and from the Electric Coin Co), has a deadline of THIS FRIDAY, so if you think you’re part of the Community Governance Panel, get in touch with Zfnd.

@sonya , @Shawn

Somore more questions regarding Zcash Foundation Guidance on Dev Fund Proposals - zcash foundation , especially the community voting:

• invite one new member of their choosing

I guess the information will be made public who exactly from the old goverance panel invited whom as new member. I think such information is crucial so it is visible that nothing is rigged, no new members are added without invition and nobody invited more than 1 person.
Where will this info be visible? I’am asking and saying this in time so the foundation can collect the info.

Miner signaling
We will invite mining pools to signal their support of a given proposal using the coinbase text of blocks collected between September 3 and September 17.

I don’t gave this one much attention until now, but several questions arise here:

• How is this going to happen exactly?

• Which mining pools have been contacted so far and which of them are participating in miner signaling? I guess the foundation got allready some feedback from them, or? With only some days away from voting i guess all ZEC mining pools are fully aware of this voting and its importance.

• Is it up to the mining pool or miner? I’am not exactly aware how this is done, hence asking it as it makes a big difference if the mining pool makes a choice or the miner itself. The reasoning is that the mining pool wouldn’t care much as their profit/gain would be the same no matter what proposal is choosen while the miner’s interest might be totally different.

While we don’t intend to formally analyze sentiment beyond the three methods described, the Foundation is happy to consider other forms of community feedback collected by other parties during the same two-week period. We will include such data in our summary if it is valuable and was collected in good faith.

• Anything arised here? Any other parties or methods participating?

hi box,

I can see the logic and reasoning behind this. I would add a caveat though. That this information is only made public if the invited person joins the panel. It is not for me to decide others privacy for them and I don’t know if this is mentioned in the invite.

Good points. Can I use my to 1070’s to signal :slight_smile:

This does raise a third issue though - someone could get a governance vote, a forum vote, a mining vote, a potentially a 4 or 5th vote as outlined by the foundation considering other forms of community feedback. to be fair though, I don’t see this as a major issue. Even the governance panel by this “invite one” could be considered the least distributed. however it is still pretty dilute.

@boxalex I don’t want to speak for the foundation, but I read the “consider other forms of feedback” to be a statement that if you are a non English speaking community and you want your voices to be heard, try to organise something transparent so we can assess if you are acting in good faith or not (yes this is subjective, but it is certainly open) and what your part of the zcash sphere would like to happen.

I might be wrong with my interpretation but that is how I understand it. They are not going to go looking but if they are approached they will consider the input.

I as well see your logic, but it’s stated can invite 1 person. If there is no control some old members can invite 3 people. As the members anyway have to post their social media accoung or other proof i don’t think this should result in any privacy problems. I mean it’s a Community Advisory Panel and not an Anonymity Advisory Panel, lol.

And not only. The main point of my question is, are they even aware they can or should signal whatever? Hence asking if mining pools or miners are even aware that this signaling will begin in 5 days?!?!

That’s why i’am asking for more clarification. I should have extended the question to what could it be instead of asking only if such are in place or considered allready?

Here’s what Josh wrote in his outreach email to members of the old panel:

You are welcome to invite a friend to this panel, but you must include their name/nym/pseudonym, email, and optional public declaration within your response to me. We won’t accept someone randomly requesting to be added, it needs to be done through your affirmation.

Just to drive the point home: The August 31, 2019 deadline for responses on this is ironclad. We cannot accept responses after that, due to the short window between the NU4 draft ZIP due date (August 31, 2019) and the final feature selection for NU4 (October 31, 2019).

After confirming everyone’s involvement we will assemble a new list on Governance work - zcash foundation , and will send everyone another heliosvote.org poll with all the ZIPs with polling open between September 3 and 17. Keep in mind that ZIPs can still be updated in this period, but we don’t expect drastic changes.

Not the whole email, but the relevant parts. We’re not planning to publish who invited which new person, but we do know that they’re each only inviting one.

Still figuring it out. We’ll publish instructions once we know what they should be.

• Which mining pools have been contacted so far and which of them are participating in miner signaling? I guess the foundation got allready some feedback from them, or? With only some days away from voting i guess all ZEC mining pools are fully aware of this voting and its importance.

We’re going to contact Poolin, F2Pool, AntPool, Flypool, Slushpool, ViaBTC, Luxor, Nanopool, and 2miners. Basically, all the named pools here: https://zcha.in/statistics/miners

Timeline:

We will invite mining pools to signal their support of a given proposal using the coinbase text of blocks collected between September 3 and September 17.

We have just shy of three weeks.

• Is it up to the mining pool or miner? I’am not exactly aware how this is done, hence asking it as it makes a big difference if the mining pool makes a choice or the miner itself. The reasoning is that the mining pool wouldn’t care much as their profit/gain would be the same no matter what proposal is choosen while the miner’s interest might be totally different.

Not sure about that yet either, sorry!

So it’s not a transparent process that can be controlled by whomever?

5 days to go and no idea yet? Come one, that’s not serious.

Means they have 5 days bevor no idea yet how what to implent and to prepare for?

Speakless …

1 Like

So, you know how mining pools identify themselves via coinbase text? That’s how Zchain knows that this address is F2Pool, for example.

Let’s say there are three ZIPs, called ZIP 1, ZIP 2, and ZIP 3. The miner can vote yes or no on each of them. Simple coinbase text ballot: 1y2n3y

It’s not necessarily going to be that hard, we just need to figure out the exact implementation.

The question remains, the miner or the mining pool? In the first part of the above post you refer to the miningpool in the second part to the miner.

IF it’s indeed the miner that has to vote how is he doing it? How he, the miner, gets even aware that he should vote? I mean you didn’t reach out to the mining pools yet 5 days bevor start of the voting, leave alone reaching the miners IF they should vote.

IF the miners are not going to vote it’s a compromissed vote anyway. In such case, if it’s only the 10 or so mining pools that vote, better send them just a questionaire by email to fill instead of wasting resources.

Maybe i miss something?

1 Like

If the community advisory panel is Invite-Only, is there anyone that would be interested in inviting me to join the panel to address and clarify any questions/concerns regarding the Blocktown ZIP draft?

2 Likes

The panel doesn’t have any meet-up-and-discuss aspect. It is a vote held using Helios. Members are each given a ballot containing entries that they individually vote on. From the email to existing members (of which I am one):

We plan to ask a simple question about every potentially controversial draft ZIP: Do you approve of this proposal?

3 Likes

As Sonya mentioned, the exact details of who invited who probably won’t be public. But just like last time the updated list of members will be public information posted on the GitHub. This will tell you two things:

1. The total number of members (which should not be more than double of last year according to the rules of only inviting one person)
  2. The names of the added members which can be compared to last years to see who is new.
2 Likes