ECC not requiring User-Defined Asset precursor support in Orchard

ECC has largely withdrawn from the rest of the technical community and no longer communicates the details of what it’s doing

Come back to the forums at least and discuss what’s going on here.

I speak only for myself when I say I am a bit offended by this framing.

We’ve never met yet I look up to you. When I started at ECC, all I knew was you were the mind behind the compact block model for light clients that @str4d, @gtank and I were trying to get to work on mobile. Today, that work underpins every light client from Zbay and Zecwallet to Nighthawk and Unstoppable. I thank @Matthewdgreen for that.

At ECC, everything I do is public. Sometimes, painfully so. All of my code is open-source, even before I feel it is polished enough to be viewed (imagine having your favorite paper be fully public the entire time you draft it). Even my sprint boards are in public on Github. I proactively make efforts to communicate and connect with the technical community in numerous ways that would take too long to list. Beyond that, I’m available on multiple discords, multiple Keybase channels, Telegram channels, Slack, the forums, community calls, newsletters, I even reactivated my Twitter, where I hadn’t posted since 2015. Additionally, I just had a 1-on-1 call with a member of the “technical community” on Friday (our 3rd this month) and that resulted in a PR that I reviewed a bit after midnight. Now, I’m up passed 2am catching up on the Forums. On the weekend.

Meanwhile, my friends who work at high-profile mobile companies have over 30 Android developers on one app. I’m an Android development team of one. And none of this is even mentioning my excellent co-workers and all the hard work they do and their efforts to communicate details.

Given all this context, when I read your message I felt deflated. A recent post suggests you’ve been away for 7 months. Perhaps you haven’t seen all the things that have occurred. After all, 2020 was a crazy year!

So I’ll try to take your sentiment, along with @tromer’s “inflammatory topic title” with a grain of salt (EDIT: the title has been updated. Thanks that really helps!). I get that you two have concerns and they’re more focused on Orchard than wallets.

However, I’m just going to be painfully honest and say that when I work this hard and consistently watch the organization I work for get dumped on by scientists I look up to . . . it stinks. It makes these forums feel toxic, like they’re doing more harm than good.

It feels counterproductive and makes me want to disengage.

(I almost deleted this post twice before pressing submit)

13 Likes