Future of Zecwallet

It doesn’t currently have support for the new functionality introduced in orchard. That’s the first major upgrade we’re planning, after we finish dealing with the maintenance backlog that’s been building up.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I have some good news. Since I made the post on the forum about Zecwallet, I have found one person (with whom I have worked with previously) who has agreed to help me work on Zecwallet and keep up its development. Additionally, all the licensing issues with ECC have been resolved, so we can continue working.

However, this person wants to remain anonymous, so I will stay on and continue with Zecwallet (10% of my time), while this person does all the heaving lifting, coding wise. This means while they do all the development, I’ll do all the testing, bugs, signing of releases etc…

Hopefully this means we can continue developing Zecwallet. I’ll make a new application for a new grant that will add all Orchard features to Zecwallet for ZCG consideration and hopefully we can keep Zecwallet working with all of Orchard’s cool new features.

21 Likes

Hi @adityapk00 a few of us have been working on the zecwallet family of repos. A significant variable in our choice to dedicate ourselves to this effort was your announcement of retirement. We’d love to collaborate with your anonymous friend, and are very interested in arranging anonymous funding.

Here’s our fork of zecwallet-lite:

We’ve begun fixing bugs in the Payment URI parser:

We’ve forked zecwallet-light-cli and renamed it after its package name.

It’s here:

This forked version depends on:

Porting to the ECC’s librustzcash was our first step to support Orchard.

Here’s a our fork of zecwallet-mobile:

This currently builds against our fork of zecwalletlitelib for Android… iOS tests are in the works.

We’ll also be applying for a grant from the ZCG committee. Would you be willing to advise us as well?

5 Likes

Here’re at least 4 bugs we’ve fixed since we’ve started hacking on this project:

By @conradoplg : * Post-NU5 testnet issues · Issue #156 · adityapk00/zecwallet-lite · GitHub
By @pacu : * Wallet starts rescanning over and over · Issue #76 · zecwalletco/zecwallet-mobile · GitHub

Our successful port of zecwalletlitelib fixed these issues —^

Our code in zecwallet-mobile fixes the below issues —v

By me: *There's a "send all" button in the app · Issue #58 · zecwalletco/zecwallet-mobile · GitHub
By @kowalabearhugs : Privacy Issue: Unable to toggle between Memo Download settings · Issue #71 · zecwalletco/zecwallet-mobile · GitHub

In addition to showing competence I believe that the above work shows that we’re responsive to the communities needs. (After all, we’re all it together!)

In addition to fixing bugs-and-issues as they come in, while upgrading and porting the somewhat stale code we’ve gotten a few other things done:

• more code coverage
  • more CI
  • internationalization
  • adding snapshot /jest tests to the front-ends

I think that if the community wants a focused energetic skilled crew to provide them with the critical infrastructure they need… well… I think we should work together.

I’d like to also note that my installed version of zecwallet-mobile doesn’t seem to work:

Is it the case that end-users are expected to perform some action to upgrade their app?

I recommended this app to many people… barristas, therapists, small-business owners, etc. I did so based on my belief that the service would be high-quality and reliable. I believe that it has not been. I think that this is indicative of an underlying structural problem. I think that those responsible for this app don’t depend on it. It’s not important enough to them to make it work, and make it better.

This is in stark contrast to the effort I am participating in. We intend to receive payment in ZEC using the app that we’re rehabilitating, supporting, and enhancing. If the app is non-functional that will directly and significantly affect us. The community will be able to depend on the fact, that we’re depending on our own app. We’re not moonlighting, we’re not working on this as a side-gig, we’re not depending on alternatives for our own critical financial capabilities. Given the chance ( @aquietinvestor @brunchtime ) we’re going to continue on the trajectory we’ve already made a significant start on, and create a quality innovation that expands and diversifies the zcash ecosystem.

15 Likes

what is the status of ZecWallet these days? Will support for orchard pool be added?

1 Like

Is there a blocker to taking over the ZecWallet name? My understanding was it was intended as open source code for the community, so was the name.

Has anyone had contact with Aditya to inquire about this recently?

Also has anything changed for you @adityapk00 since the BOSL license is no longer in effect?

1 Like

I reached out to him the week of the NU5 upgrade and @adityapk00 said that he might want to use the name, so he wouldn’t pass it over to ZingoLabs control.

The best name for ZecWalletLight, ZWL, is and will always be ZUULI :wink: - you guys can have that name if you like. But, the wallet that takes that name must have the fastest sync of all ZEC wallets :slight_smile: Just look at those letters … ZUULI … let the syllables wash over you ;9

1 Like