Halo2 docs improvements

I’m proposing to fill-in a few of the missing sections of the halo2 book.

Without repeating myself too much, you can find the full proposal under this link and below is the proposal summary:

Milestones:

1. Lookup tables (sec. 2.3 of the halo2 book)
  2. Gadgets (sec. 2.4)
  3. Cryptographic Groups & Elliptic Curves (sec. 5.3 & 5.4)

Timeline & costs:

• 2 weeks per milestone @ $8,000, for a total of 6 weeks @ $24,000

Experience:

• contributions to new features and documentation to arkworks, a cryptographic library.
1 Like

Hi @mmagician - Welcome to the forum, and thank you for submitting your grant proposal! We will review it in the upcoming weeks and reach out if we have any questions.

In the meantime, if you have any questions for us, you can post them to this thread or DM us at @ZcashGrants.

Zcash Community - We want to hear your feedback on this grant! You can post your comments to this thread or DM us at @ZcashGrants if you’d like to provide feedback in private.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @mmagician!

I think its great you want to take this on. Have you had a chance to read this recently approved grant and maybe reach out to @therealyingtong ? Perhaps together this can be more easily accomplished?

Good luck :hearts:

1 Like

Thanks @dismad - no I wasn’t aware of the grant you mention, but it indeed looks like a community manager is well positioned to provide feedback for this proposal :slight_smile:
@therealyingtong please let me know whether you have any comments or how we could collaborate to make this a success?

2 Likes

These docs are much needed! I would be happy to review and co-author, if that would be helpful.

4 Likes

@mmagician, & Zcash Community, I am happy to inform you that the @ZcashGrants Committee has voted to approve this grant proposal at the most recent meeting.

4 Likes

@decentralistdan That’s amazing, thanks for the support - I am very excited for the grant!

4 Likes

Quick update: I realize it’s been a while and TBH no progress has been made towards updating the docs - but we have been spending the past couple of months mostly work with halo2 libs and hopefully that will only make the final delivery better. To be realistic, I would aim for end of the year (December 2023) to complete the project. Apologize once again for the delay!

4 Likes

Unfortunately, our team will need to put the grant on pause for now due to constrained internal resources. We would be happy to provide support and review in case anyone else from the community is willing to take over from here.

3 Likes

Hi @mmagician - Thanks for the update. I’ve discussed your situation with the ZCG committee and we have decided to cancel the current grant given that there has been very little progress made over the past eight months. You are welcome to reapply for the grant once you have the necessary resources to fully commit to its completion.

If you have any questions or need further clarification, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Thanks.

3 Likes