How to get a transaction stuck in the mempool

Is there any obvious way to get a transaction stuck in the mempool?

Does mining software bother to check the transaction fees, i don’t think it would, it would expect all transactions to have the same fee.

I saw a post on here were someone sent a 0 fee transaction and it messed up the block explorer but it did get mined. I dont want that to happen. i want it to get stuck for maybe 2 hours, then either rejected or have the transaction updated so it goes through.

I do have one condition, these have to be z2z transactions.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

1 Like

If there were, we’d remove it :slight_smile: It would be easily turned into a DoS attack on either the wallet sending the transaction, or the nodes maintaining the mempool.

For the latter case, zcashd implements the bounded mempool strategy documented in ZIP 401, which makes it impossible for transactions to be indefinitely stuck in the mempool and cause general mempool DoS; when the pool is under high load, each transaction has some probability of being randomly evicted.

Yes. zcashd inherited Bitcoin Core’s block creation logic, which we modified to prefer shielded transactions, but otherwise currently behaves roughly the same (sort by priority for part of the block, then by fee for the rest).

All transactions in the mempool are by definition valid candidates to be mined, and there is no way to prevent a miner from mining transactions that are in the global mempool (so the miner knows about them) and are valid to mine.

However, the “ensure tx is rejected if it isn’t mined after 2 hours” is easily enforced, by setting the transaction’s expiry height to a block height 2 hours in the future. This has the effect of causing the transaction to become invalid after that height, and be automatically evicted from the mempool if it is still there.

5 Likes

not really sure if it helps, but just leaving the link here: Zcash Mempool has a live view of the Zcash mempool.