How to store seed phrases more securely?

I would like to know what are the best practices for storing seed phrases safely, so that I don’t lose them or have them stolen.

One approach is punching your seed phrase into a steel plate. This is a great overview of tested devices across a range of price points.

3 Likes

take a book, and write it into the book in someway…
for example write a word on each page, but only on every Prime number page write a word from the seed…
this way only you know how to extract the words from the book

make it a little more complex than my example

1 Like

Sharding your seed phrase and dispatch the different shards around. But not really user friendly to do yet.

A good overall guide:

1 Like

Password encrypted USB is also useful.

2 Likes

I liked everyone’s ideas.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Beware of scammers!

Safe storage of a seed phrase very much depends on your personal situation. I wouldn’t recommend steel plates without knowing your threat model. To me it’s a solution for first world country people (ZF and ECC, it looks like), and even in that case, it’s not great.

If your main concern is physical damage, then sure, steel plates. For all other potential for trouble, it’s just another marketing gimmick. Worse, they are a statement you own crypto and therefore a potential to get yourself into a $5 wrench attack.

The other comments in this thread were good overall and again there is not one best way to do this, it depends on your circumstance. I would personally recommend SLIP39 Shamir Backuo such as explained on the Keystone wallet website. Then you have to figure out where to store the various shares, between hidden places, people you trust, etc.

Now seed phrases are also a statement of crypto ownership. One alternative to that is therefore to generate a shamir backup yourself, as it would simply generate multiple encrypted strings that could be anything.

edit - one more thing: test your backups by executing a restore procedure every 2-3 years. that can align with the release of a new hardware wallet, for example. in the worse case scenario that for any reason your recovery is not working, you can just make a new one and transfer funds from your hopefully still working hardware wallet.

3 Likes

I didn’t know you could do a Shamir backup with Keystone. Impressive.

1 Like