If the SEC says that Zcash is a security?

if the SEC says Zcash is a security? I was wondering this when reading the news that the SEC is investigating ethereum.

I feel there is a need for zcash to be more decentralized and more global. In my opinion, the fact that it has a foundation in the United States means that Zcash runs the risk of the American government starting to disrupt Zcash.

3 Likes

ZSAs and Legal Risk

I don’t like it, but the risk is real. I’ve spent 20 hours in a jail cell with Roman Sterligov so I am seeing first hand how ugly the US government’s abusive application of the money transmitter and money laundering conspiracy statutes can be.

Another suggestion I have to help the community navigate this would be to fund a grant to an attorney for an opinion about ZSA operation and how ZSA operations could be structured such that they would not trigger application of money transmitter laws or money laundering conspiracy law. And for that mission I would give the grant to Mike Mosier, who is former acting head of FinCen but at same time is a crypto native developer and privacy advocate.
@ProfJWVerret

The theme advocated in the above thread, seems reasonable to expand this theme to include a professional opinion on a Security? As well as the potential risks that POS may pose?
Would be great to have ZF, FPF, Blockchain Association, or EFF to assemble a grant or a team to volunteer an opinion on this ever moving concern in light of what has been happening across the crypto industry.
@kurt

3 Likes

I’ve already shared concerns/ thoughts about this topic.

(In short, I doubt that ZEC is a security; especially now that we know BTC is not. But I think there is risk that ZF, ECC, ZCG could be deemed as illegal securities brokers in the USA)

1 Like

@noamchom

Reviewing the link you posted above, and reviewing some of your previous posts. I think your fully capable of writing a comprehensive RFP for a formal legal opinion on these matters to be submitted to ZCG.
Somewhere in my memory there is a zcg thread for suggested RFP’s , plus it could help to build an attract some legal minds into this ecosystem. Come on, go for it!

1 Like

ECC and ZF both have competent legal counsel which has already been used to respond to inquiries.

I would be wary of making new grants for potentially duplicative work.

4 Likes