Let’s talk about ASIC mining

I agree. But to change the memory parameter. What would that do to profitablity to cards. They may not work as well

What the heck are you talking about?
Can you hear my tone in my voice? No.
Can you see my facial expressions? No.
Do I have a job? Yes & No. I’m the owner of my own business. I’ve taught telephone technicians how to use their meter to identify and locate troubles in 5-Day and 10-Day courses since July 27, 1997. I’m the only employee (President). I’m a contractor hired by CenturyLink from time to time. CenturyLink is my main client. However, CenturyLink stock has taken a hit over the past few years. As their stock price has fallen; so has their budget. When budgets are cut, one of the first things to go is training. I used to be on the road 42 to 45 weeks each year. Now, I’m on the road maybe 4 weeks annually.

When business began slowing down for me in 2014, I began looking for another source of income and stumbled upon Bitcoin mining with Bitmain S1’s, then S3’s, S4’s, Spondoolies SP-20’s and Bitmain S7’s. In 2014 I had approximately 16 weeks of training courses for CenturyLink. Mining was more or less supplemental income because I made $7,200 every week of courses I taught.

I also began teaching myself how to trade back in 2014. I’ve actually become a pretty damn good trader and about to become an active Trading Team Expert for tradunity.com. I was invited to be a member of their team of experts about 2 weeks ago. They are waiting for me to complete my mining room remodel with power upgrade before joining their team. I can actually make enough money from trading each month to support my family each month without mining. However, just because I can, does that mean I should just bow down to BITMAIN and give up all the time and hard work I’ve invested in my mining room? God forbid…

So, if you think I’m desperate for money and begging or crying for mercy for me and my family, you’re sadly mistaken. You exercised terrible judgement of “appearance” and not righteous judgement. I’m simply standing up for my investment and the rest of my fellow GPU mining patriots. I can do fine by trading alone. However, I’m also a nerd at heart and simply LOVE my GPU mining. More so than ASIC mining and even more so than trading crypto. Don’t get me wrong, it feels good to make good trades. Crypto trading can be addictive. I still love my mining more though. I still have yet to get burned out on mining. However, as a trader, you can get burned out rather quickly. Especially, if you have stayed up the past 48 hours trading without sleep. I don’t do those long episodes as often as I once did. Mainly for that reason: To avoid getting burned out.

I also KNOW how much of a threat BITMAIN actually is to the crypto community in general. It doesn’t matter what coin it is, BITMAIN is a threat to mining decentralization.

So, Mrmags. I respectfully ask you to chill with the personal attacks and false accusations please, sir?

5 Likes

nothing … they are coming with expensive DDR5 of 8GB and more !
Someone pointer earlier that only a fraction of that (~1GB) is used. I need to verify that claim by profiling GPU cuda code, which although an excellent exercise, I am afraid I don’t have the time at the moment. Maybe someone care to shred more light/numbers !?

Bitmain has just posted a rebuttal to that Sia article @zooko On Sia's “The State of Cryptocurrency Mining” - blog.bitmain.com

3 Likes

ASICS are here, they arnt going ANYWHERE. and if you fork them, they will adjust. If they can’t ajust, they will just make a new batch and keep mining with them privately, and never release to the public.
Wanna talk about centralization??
Look at the top 20 coins, most asic. Want zcash top 20. Top 10?
Keep being a greedy gpu miner. The only reason you guys fight this is you want MORE. never enough.
Hold down progression, cause you Can’t get enough

2 Likes

Greedy gpu miners. You nuts? It cost more for gpu rig’s that produce the same hash and it uses more power. A Asic cost less and uses less power so you make more money. So who’s the greedy miner?

1 Like

Took me 30 seconds to read they their rebuttal was, well nothing…

this part was especially funny "Since then, we’ve enforced this policy with the launch of all ASIC miners for cryptocurrencies that can be profitably mined by GPUs. "

This say this, and the Z9 was 1 per customer; however that has changed to 50 per customer… in their own rebuttal they say we do this; on their website the Z9 mini is now this "3. To ensure that more individual buyers can purchase miners in this batch, we have set a limit of 50 miner per user. "

5 Likes

This thread is so full of hate, personal attacks by now, offending, similar things that someone can only wonder how it’s still open. Nothing new posted either, there is no more any technical aspect discussed here, it’s only about defending, attacking and crying louder to make a given argument more valid …

3 Likes

Feel better now you got that off your chest? Hope you feel better now even though you’re wrong.

I’m soooooo greedy I pay triple the price for hardware and 10 times in power costs over the Z9. ROFL… Go figure that one out…

Fork ASICS away from zcash. Go for it. Watch what happens to the price. Watch what happens to the network hash rate. You will be surprised how many are here already.
Good luck. I sold all the zcash I mined for the last year at $350. I’m happy and ready to invest in a lot better f Z9 minis.

Cool… Good for you. Hope it works out for you.

By the way, an excellent video on ASIC Resistance by “CryptoMined” [Who’s a member of this community]: - YouTube

The advice CryptoMined gave ZCashCo was the best advice given to date! He even topped it off with a YouTube video here: - YouTube

3 Likes

Agree whole heatedly about this too…

1 Like

I would agree, dominating the PoW of a coin by more than 30% can also provide other perks. Such as, the ability to become a “Composite Man” or “Composite Group.”

”…all the fluctuations in the market and in all the various coins should be studied as if they were the result of one man’s operations. Let us call him the Composite Man, who, in theory, sits behind the scenes and manipulates the coins to your disadvantage if you do not understand the game as he plays it; and to your great profit if you do understand it.” Richard D. Wyckoff

There are many “cons” to arise out of allowing BITMAIN outright majority control of mining the top 10 PoW coins, such as ZCash. Another one of those “cons” is definitely allowing BITMAIN to be a Composite Group. However, if you learn Wyckoff Schematics, Rules, laws and learn how to use 3 different trading indicators, you will [For the most part] be able to flow along with the Composite Group as they deploy their events within phases of accumulation and/or distribution schematics. Here’s a BASIC tutorial of Wyckoff’s teachings: The Wyckoff Method: A Tutorial [ChartSchool]

I also cover Wyckoff a bit in my publications here: https://www.tradingview.com/u/ProwdClown/

Look at posts created on April 23rd in this publication for brief description of my trading style: Learning Wyckoff With Bitcoin From the Beginning for BITSTAMP:BTCUSD by WyckoffMode — TradingView

I haven’t heard much discussion about the amount of development time/resources that come along with these hard forks. Parameter changes would be relatively quick, but changing algorithms is a completely different story. That requires a lot of research, development, and thorough testing.

Most people here are in consensus that parameter changes buy you a little bit of time, but how much is the real question? ASIC’s will become more flexible as time progresses to cope with parameter changes, even if it means sacrificing a little efficiency. I think we all need to remember that GPU’s are ASIC’s. So that leaves an algorithm change as the only real solution for GPU miners, but who’s going to develop it, and at what cost?

What then happens to the roadmap? How many resources will be expended on hard fork/algo development instead of working towards the roadmap? If we try to stay 1 step ahead of manufacturers by parameter tweaking or changing algo’s, at what point are we unknowingly introducing security vulnerabilities? What happens if GPU miners aren’t in consensus for the direction of a new fork? e.g. 1 set of parameter/algo changes favors Nvidia over AMD? Or HBM2 over GDDR5? Or any other differences between GPU brands and models?

It sounds like a tremendous amount of development time and resources. If the new PoW scheme allows the raw computational power to be harnessed or used for modeling/scientific research/rendering/AI then I’m all for it, because that solves a real problem. However, just changing algos to buy more time for GPU miners seems like a rabbit hole.

1 Like

Even before I read the article by David, I figured about 6 months of R & D to have an ASIC up and running. So if Zcash forked on 07/01/18 by 01/01/19 Asic’s would be back on the network and by 07/01/19 they would be offered for sale.

** dates are 100% fictitious, Zcash is not forking on 07/01/18***
*** It has been said several times that Sapling is the priority over any ASIC resistant forking, and will not happen until Sapling is Activated***

To my knowledge these are correct dates, if incorrect please PM me and I will edit them

OverWinter Activation - 06/26/2018
Sapling Activation - 09/17/2018

You need to look at it like a race. ASIC resistat coins are like horse races, we all agreed we wanted a horse race(GPUs) without ASICs(cars). Now ASICs show up as a car and say we are better, faster, and more effecient! Its a horse race dude…Yes ASICs(cars) are faster per watt vs GPU(horses)…but when you start racing cars vs cars , that 10k hashrate(model T) dont mean squat vs Bitmains 100K(racecar) that they are not gonna release to the public(this is a big problem).

When we heard ASIC resistant, this is a big reason we joined. We dont want to race against ASICs that is why they didnt just use a ASIC algo. Go join the other coins that are more ASIC friendly…riiighhhht you cant, because you wont make your invesment back on the ASIC in a car vs car race…If you have 10Khash/per 300W that makes $5 per day or 1k/per 300W that makes $10, whats more effecient then?

So everyone saying they are better…better then what a GPU? Well if ASIC overtake the network you wont be mining vs other GPUs it will be all ASICs and the profit will go way down. Look at how much energy Bitcoin is using now ASICs dont save power.

5 Likes

Two points…

1. Engine power in a car is labeled under mechanical horsepower, so an ASIC(car) is 13.5 Hp verses a 1080ti GPU which is 1 HP … it’s still a horse race, just who has more under the hood

2. POWER: lets say an ASIC BTC machine does 14TH/s (thats 14,000,000,000,000 per second) at 1300w
    A 1080ti will mine BTC at 980.6 MHS (980,600,000 hashes per second).at 250W

To equal the same H/s by a 1080 TI you would need fourteen thousand two hundred seventy seven (14,277) 1080 TI’s to mine that amount which would require 3.6 million watts of power.

and if you do not think that someone would build a GPU farm with that many cards, well …

This is a very true story. I watch that unfold thinking between the two they would bring the entire crypto world down if they had too. Was dark sad times to watch.

I’m starting to get concerned about the state of things now with the ASIC debate. I see new people joining the debate here…but I get a horrible feeling things are devolving from a civil disagreement backed with view points, facts, and historical references into more of a flame war. This will solve absolutely nothing guys. I get it, we all have a view point in this, and we all believe VERY strongly in it. But we have to resist the cheap shots, it does absolutely nothing for the decision that has to be made, and it makes us all look really petty, which I know that is NOT the case here.

5 Likes