Let’s talk about ASIC mining

I want sell…i mine ETH now…even use much less power then mining Zcash …60% TDP totally silent.
Also today BTG will upgrade to <144,5> which was actually what Zcash was to promise to be since 2 years ago

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for posting, I enjoy reading your posts I like the way you approach things.

I would argue the most important people are the people that accept zcash for value. Whether that be alpaca socks or pizzas… It is those people that seem to have the quietest voice yet the most to lose.

This maybe because they are not that great in number, or it maybe that they are not technical and do not care what technology mines their transactions, nor do they care who owns the technology (be it an asic farm or little timmy down the road).

Maybe they should care, but they should not be forced into caring. Like with the banking system, you shouldn’t have to know or care about luhns algo to use your credit card… nor should you have to know about the hardware and software the bank use to protect your money for you to be able to have a bank account, etc,

I am not trying to defend ignorance, just highlight a very quiet yet essential part of the community. the non technical and the portion of the community that accepts zcash for value.

If no one accepts it as value then nothing is achieved, you should not have to be technical to accept it as value.

cheers.

2 Likes

@mistfpga Thanks for chiming in and I agree entirely. I think that we tend to include lots of technical people especially early in a coins life. I agree non technical people are the most important and likely the most difficult to get interested in the community.

I suppose my approach to that issue is to use the technical and advanced users who are part of the community today as advocates. I suggested an algorithm change that includes as many types of hardware as possible because that would potentially make lots of devices like cell phones or video game consoles useful again. If that were the case anyone could get involved in mining ZCash if they wanted.

That would create a demand for merchants to accept ZCash and for technical and no technical people alike to use it. That was my thinking anyways. I’m trying to break the mold of competitive thinking amongst everyone so that we can find a better solution that leads to a stronger community.

1 Like

I guess my problem is, I get it, you guys don’t like bitmain. When you sit down and look at what nvidia and its oems got away with. You guys just let it slide.

During the winter craze they just let prices continue to go up. All those new people that heard about crypto only recently and just bought in got screwed. they could have released volta instead they milked the winter craze.

Can you can honestly say youre okay with this.

I’m roid, so i dont give a shit. You want everyone in on the fun, okay. Can you justify telling anyone to buy a gpu right now. Or hell even a 1180 would you tell someone, “just wait for the 1180 bro, you got this”.

The bones tell me “HELL NO”.

So how does someone that is interested in crypto get started today.

They can’t , they are already in GPU roid(early adopter enjoiying fatstacks) GPU heavy came in late(<broke af), already in GPU light (<A+, nice job soldier)

This is where @boxalex PoS comes in. How does someone new get in without some kind of PoS in place or Asic.

There are bigger questions that need answering people.

I don’t know why people think it is profitable to mine on Asics. Zcash will probably get to the point where LTC is they have an Asic for Scrypt 580 Mh/s and it draws 932 watts. This asic will never ROI as it will earn you 1 dollar something a year after you pay the electricity charges and this is where i live . My electiricty is 0.11 cent per kwh. Can you imagine also if bitmain has a new scrypt asic which is working more efficiently but instead of releasing it to the public they are mining on it in order to dominate the network (freaky).

Makes sense, having in mind that end of 2018/begin 2019 there will be only about 5 gpu POW coins (from top 75)left it will get pretty hard for gpu miners too in my opinion.

When most of these top 75 coins switch to POS, beginning with ETH, it will be like an earthquake for gpu mining.

I guess this is as well the reason every gpu miner fears about their business investment as their won’t be many top coins/tokens left for gpu mining. Hence this hard “fight” here, it’s all about not losing one of the top gpu coins and fear from the ETH POS change, nothing more, nothing less…

What source? He never has posted a source or any other backup.

Here the todays mining pool distribution and at least i can not see any of 2.5 times of flypool. Again pure FUD attempt.

Actually the mining pool distribution looks way better than some weeks ago for sure.

Mining Pool Distribution some weeks ago:

The unknown hash comes and goes seem’s to be going in a testing phase, when they sell all the ASIC’s they have they (Bitmain) e.t.c. will switch on their mining farms. Stop being so blind unless it is your job, I know you have got to get paid.

2 Likes

I’am not blind, all i know that you are fighting for one of the last pieces of top gpu mining coins/tokens … everything else is just a farce, agenda, and fear of losing investments, clear as day by now …
Will be interesting to see what happens in some months when ETH switches to POS where all the hashrate is going. Millions of gpu cards switching to some of the view gpu pow coins that still will be minable …

And you just continue to offend, lol, desperation pure …

As a long-term GPU miner I plugged in my Z9 yesterday. Averaged 11.32 kSol/s over first 24 hours and draws 278W at the wall. Considering this is a first generation ASIC, I think we can safely say the only thing stopping GPU mining being non-existent is merely the constrained supply in getting hold of these machines.

When overclocked they can do almost 16.5k. Enjoy while it lasts.

1 Like

Here is my report from Zcon0…

4 Likes

Dont correct me just to post something .
Its obviously that is going on and off …testing or what…yesterday network was 850 mh ,now is 570mh .
But its obvious that is has a power for 50% on one place.

I thing that one who has that power read this posts here…when here was post adress that made 500 ZEC a day for more then a week…same day they moved hash power to other address.

1 Like

No …Zcash is farce…BTG is now shifting to parameters Zooko and others promised more then 2 years ago …and Zcash is using parameters that are never intended to be used in Zcash.

Should i repeat their post
"Zooko Wilcox and Jack Grigg | Apr 15 2016
"WHAT’S NEXT?

The next step in our use of Equihash is to write an optimised implementation. Once that is done, we will reset the testnet with higher-memory parameters.

Further down the track, our goal is to have the Equihash solver optimised for running on smartphones. We hope that this will greatly aid the decentralization of mining — users could mine Zcash while their phones are plugged in and unused overnight!"

GPU miners are much less afraid off losing their investment then ASIC …because on all other coin ASIC makes pennies …because bitmain and others make 99% off money there…that is why they need ZCASH so badly.
Also ETH will not go to POS for years and maybe even never …because it would actually kill decentralisation which is main advantage off ETH over other coins and reason is popular…only people with more then 1000 ETH could stake …and how many people have half million $ to buy ETH.

1 Like

It will go POS and mostly with 32 ETH minimum stake, at least that is what they are working currently on.

I have no idea where you all get so much wrong information, seriously. In the Ethereum 2.0 Mauve Paper it’s clearly mentioned that it is 32 ETH, everybody can read about it.

The first time they came up with the idea of POS ETH was US$ 10, that’s why than back they have choosen to go with 1.000 ETH, since than things obviously changed, that’s why it is changed now to ETH 32 and will reduced maybe further.

If you believe ETH won’t go POS, just pe prepared for a supripise than because they go 100% POS and all their Projects build on them are allready well aware of it and preparing too.

Here some details for people interested:

Proof of Stake
BLOCK_TIME: 4 seconds (aiming on the less ambitious side to reduce overhead)
CASPER_ADDRESS: 255
EPOCH_LENGTH: 10800 seconds (ie. 12 hours under good circumstances)
MAX_DEPOSIT_SIZE: 2**17 ether
MIN_DEPOSIT_SIZE: 32 ether
REWARD_COEFF: (3 / 1000000000) * BLOCK_TIME
SKIP_TIME: 8 seconds (aiming on the less ambitious side to reduce overhead)
WITHDRAWAL_DELAY: 10000000 seconds (ie. 4 months)

Totally naive concept , the ASICs company mainly earn the money from selling ASICs. They will not rely on the profit of mining. All the material need cost and they need to pay for it asap( may be within 3mths)

Waiting the ASICs to mine the coins to earn money is the most non profit way for a company. And the coins also take risk to go down. Mining is the risky way for the ASICs company to earn.

They just simple sell the ASICs into the market, get the money, and make the next powerful machine to get the second money.

Don’t use your non business mind to think of the bisiness.

I believe it is down to 32 ETH because of sharding and if Casper is updated to use sharding on a side chain it will delay the release a few months. I hope they delay it to integrate this new idea as it will help reduce the stake as well as increasing amount of transactions/sec. I think it will be next spring/summer before it happens and PoW is to be phased out gradually and not all at once with Casper. I believe they will phase it out over 2 years or so. I believe Casper drops the block reward by 500% though, which is steep.

I read it in their road map…maybe they change since when i read it.

Hi,

Just a quick question,

So, how, in principle would PoS work with z addresses? how can I stake from a z address? the network doesn’t even know how many coins I have until I spend them.

Maybe I am missing something obvious. but I cannot see how privacy coins or coins with shielded transactions can be PoS coins.

thanks.

1 Like

I don’t see how POS will be good for most miners asic and gpu. Maybe big farms and companies like Bitmain. They will have enough coin to stake all they want.

And what’s funny is that BTG is more profitable the Zcash.

1 Like