Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Translation of the developer comments above, is “we don’t have time to deal with ASIC’s”. I don’t see a point of trying to persuade them as these coins are big business now and deem this irrelevant to their goals. Ethereum and Zcash are too big to do anything for the little guy that supported them from the beginning. Us GPU guys will just have to move on to find the “next big thing.” We’ve “raised another kid” and sent them off into the world…

On another note, for my GPU brethren: It took Bitcoin Gold less than 24 hours to announce they are changing algorithm & a list of coins to mine now that Zcash bit the dust:

(Non ASIC Mining Coins)
Zcoin, RavenCoin, Vertcoin , MonaCoin (I think), XMR (Monero) , BTG . Also, there is BurstCoin if you have lot’s of storage it uses hdd for POW. Please post/msg me any more coins you know of that are non-ASIC-ted.

To the rest of you, good luck in the Bitmain arms race. That game is no fun to play, and they always win. Been there, done that…

6 Likes

What it boils down to is … asic resistance or not … This is the reason I went for my Nvidia setup … Equahash Zcash Asic resistance… basically these few in control at zcash are keeping all us miners on a little line of hope that eventually they will keep to their word of being asic resistant. To be honest the longer this talking and thinking and trying to prove this or that go’s on the more I’m thinking abandon ship… rather jump on the x16r/s bandwagon, or even on the monero at least they looking after their community, those that brought them to where they are now, with good fast and open minded decisions to the benefit of their coin and also their user-base.

Saying we have no time or to busy to keep to our word is no excuse in my opinion

6 Likes

Monero recently forked to remove ASIC miners.

Is anyone here going to contend that Monero network is somehow worse off without ASIC miners?

I think most would agree that it’s much better off. The difficulty is much lower, which makes it profitable for more people to mine. Moreover, the blocks are being found by public pools, instead of private pool. This implies that mining is a lot more decentralized now.

I also disagree with Zooko’s assertion that fighting ASICs is impossible in the long run – it’s the quite the opposite. All it takes is adjusting the proof of work algorithm slightly.

I see very few reasons to oppose a fork to preserve ASIC resistance. Zcash would be more decentralized and block rewards would go to more people. Moreover, I believe it would be much harder for GPU miners to form the kind of cartels that we’re seeing in Bitcoin, wherein miners will manipulate the block times and transaction costs to increase their profits at users’ expense. We see a disturbing example of this in December, and it’s reasonable to believe that Bitmain played a role.

It really seems like a clear cut issue to me: Zcash should modify its proof of work algorithm to prevent ASIC mining.

10 Likes

Totally agree with you new coins to watch will be raven and even pigeon, though pigeon very fresh still but also on x16s I will be switching my rigs over to them as of today do believe zcash don’t care where their founders fee comes from.

2 Likes

10k Sol with 300W is too OP for every f#cking miner
Milions invested from the lower class just thrown out the window. We are not talking bankers or people that can lose money… but youngsters (mostly under 30) that have invested month after month all their savings.

the question here is not asic resistant or not, but more: why sapling release can’t wait more time if there IS a priority.

What is so important in releasing sapling in Q3, why can’t it wait for another year(example)? Movies that come out later are usually better, wouldn’t more time on sapling release give a better impact?

6 Likes

Just want to record my voice. I will quit mining zcash from today and will mine other algorithms and will never pay bitmain a dime to buy their ASIC miners after they started dumping them.

10 Likes

Just got more respect for these guys will support them too https://twitter.com/bitcoingold/status/992085020142723073

4 Likes

People do or don’t do anything for two reasons: One reason is the one they give to others to “justify” their choices. The other reason the is true reason for their actions. At this point, I am tending to consider there are reasons for @zooko’s resistance-to-asic-resistance posture that we are not being told. I find that to be unpalatable if it is true.

Home, hobby, small and indie miners - whatever you want to call us - will be shut out from using ASIC’s unless we are somehow lucky enough to get our hands on any. We’ll be the ones who have to move on, like others have said, to something else. When I am forced to do that, I’ll be left feeling that I’ve been told by zooko, “thanks, man…I appreciate you helping us along and contributing to us making millions, but piss off now…you can’t feed our greed fast enough now…”

While I have faith in ZCash as a crypto, the lack of support and respect for the very ones who got it this far is simply a kick in the crotch.

Here’s what I tell people helping me: “I got you”. I do it right away and I don’t mince my words and I act immediately. All this debating is just noise. Either do what others have done and say you support the ones who are mining it or just simply be real and admit that your agenda isn’t helped any longer by us and that we no longer serve your purpose.

For a guy who putatively “lived in in his car for a time”, you’d think you’d be a little more connected to the little guys who are just trying to better their own lives, too.

/end rant.

9 Likes

seems awfully coincidental how it just kind of popped up today and also how I can find no other news stories about it

well i want to share my vision about what to happen to me at least

1.my gpu rig, my lifetime investment will stop producing
2.all coin mined will lose a lot of value due to dumping
3.my family lose their trust to me, because i’m the one convinced them to choose this path (asic resistance value)
4. i got no support left to even mine other coin despite all times spent mining zec and it ends badly

this is frustrating looking at how hard it is for zcash to take a decision while others already on a solid decision, well regrets never come at the beginning tho, got to deal with it no matter how hurts it is.

6 Likes

My opinion is Say No to ASIC
Make a HF asap

1. Any cryptocurrency, once accept ASIC , it will lose the ability to change algo forever.

2. We don’t trust Bitmain. Don’t make Bitmain control the ZEC hash power. Anybody think they do care ZEC?

3. Bitmain MUST have hidden ASIC mining ZEC now.
    they hidden mine zec , sell zec, use the money to make asic, then they sell asic. they eat all.

4. look at Monero(XMR) and SIA (SC).
    XMR kickout 60-70% hidden hashpower.
    SC is a new ASIC coin
    XMR History High: $494 Today: $250 (50.6% of history high)
    SC History High: $0.097 Today: $0.0284 (29.2% of history high)
    ZEC History High: $876 Today: $310 (35.4% of history high)

5. think about this: How many hidden ZEC ASIC now? How many ZEC did they sell everyday ?

6 Likes

@siepsop, what you posted includes what i believe is a scam for a “free 10,000” eth giveaway. I think you posted a fake twitter account.

I saw the scam posts on the topic too but the twitter looks legit with more than one post about it… still looking for more convincing talks about the change but if this is true and they do fork away from asics its a win for me and i will support them.

Excellent post, ZC93. I too have been mining ZCash with my modest 3ksol/s rig to support the network without regard to whether it was particularly profitable (all the while HODLing), and I feel betrayed that the leadership so far does not care about idealistic, small miners… or seem to bother to understand the economics of mining at all in the first place.

Certainly ASIC mining farms tend to dump their coins (after a nice bit of manipulation) and do not care at all about the long-term success of the coin. Then again, if the coin’s developers don’t care about those who have supported them from the beginning, maybe I should do the same and GTFO of here and look for a privacy coin that does care about users.

6 Likes

Great point about being stuck with that algo forever, crazyrooster. What if someone discovers a variation on Equihash that allows for greater transaction throughput, anonymity, whatever? The ASICs will never let you hard fork and the community will experience a sharp schism. (Then again, it’s looking more and more like the devs here don’t care at all about what the community wants. 95%+ of posters here are against ASICs, yet the devs can’t even give us a clear statement one way or the other. I guess devs figure they’ll still get their 20% mining reward from ASICs and they hope that kissing up to Shitmain will give them a temporary price blip)

3 Likes

The scam account is bitcoinigold. There’s an i between bitcoin and gold. It’s different from the bitcoingold account.

Bingo. @Zooko needs to at least have the balls to allow a community vote, so that every investor will see that ZCash will lose 95% of its supporters if it continues to spit on small miners.

The fact that @Zooko is at best so uninterested in our concerns despite getting 20% of mining proceeds really rubs salt in the wound. I’m actually completely fine with the dev reward as it creates an incentive for the team to want the coin to do well, development in the crypto space is expensive, etc. But the ingratitude towards the community displayed by Zooko is just staggering. Makes me wonder if he really cares about the coin long-term at all.

5 Likes

Ok heres the story and as youll see ( at least I believe) alot of it (most really) came from here and doesn’t reference anything other than that tweet https://www.coindesk.com/bitmains-latest-crypto-asic-can-mine-zcash/

And if you think about it it’s completely inconsequential because most of the stuff on this thread is under the pretense that that thing already existed anyways

Vosk talking also mentions BTG to resist asic

@Autotunafish what is your position now(not opinion) regarding ASIC. Would you prefer to fork or keep things how they are?

2 Likes