Let’s talk about ASIC mining

If I got it right, Zokomotion has already declared that ASIC’s are ok. Basically that it is a honour…
So i take it as “we stay asic conform because we are a company and need to stay in touch with other companies on a at least okayish level”. Because… if there would be the chance of a fork, they you just say “yep we can’t now but will fork later”… Where is the problem? Say something which is possible at a later point. Or do they tell me that the 20% fee is for nuts… ? No manpower?

Oh I need sleep… slowly reaching rant mode… Sorry :wink:

It is possible if they change it they can lure some GPU miners back, but I’m sure they wouldn’t take the risk. I believe that the top people of ZcashCo thinks GPU vs. ASIC miners is a non-issue as long as there are enough miners. I know several devs don’t feel that way, but they don’t make the major decisions.

Not sure if I follow what your saying entirely. But it sounds like your asking what the problem would be with a fork at a later date, even if it were several months away? Well…let’s explore that a second. ASICs get a significant foothold, the hash rate goes way up, the difficultly takes off like a bottle rocket. Home miners, smaller miners get priced out. It literally costs more to mine than the pittance of coins scraps they get. Then the real arms race begins as each batch is bought in bulk and even the largest GPU farms are priced out. By the time they get around to a fork which would be a low priority after the next two scheduled hard forks…there wouldn’t be any GPU miners left, just ASIC miners. They win by numbers and ZCash fails to keep its word, regardless of what Zooko intended, meant, whatever.

I am starting to think this might be the strategy…simply drag feet and claim later there “simply wasn’t enough time”.

@acityinohio Given the timeline (see post above) is there a schedule for the Foundation ballot etc?

He said:

And you will have privacy with coin that will be 99% own by chines company haha …how you will stop chines government to do 51% attack if they want some info

And I pointed out the fact that it doesn’t matter how much the government pressured the developers or miners, the information is not there to be had.

My first post on the forum. English is not my main language, so excuse me for mistakes. A year ago I made a move to mine cryptocurrency.
I started in 2010 as an alternative to Seti@Home. A few years, however, I dealt with something else. After researching, I put on Zcash
for mining due to the clear and solemn assurance of developers that the coin is immune to integrated hardware solutions. I invested in
the first graphics cards, specific to the Equihash algorithm. I have been systematically adding more GPUs for several months. I currently
have a mini farm with a hashrate of 40 kSol/s. For several months I have noticed a stagnation in the development of Zcash and an
unjustified increase in difficulties (reduced profitability). Mining the currency has become almost unprofitable. I now have my machines
somewhere else. I support Monero (after the anti-ASIC fork) and Ethereum because of the bills to be paid (profitability of mining).
So, if Zcash completes the fork that eliminates ASICs, I will return to Zcash, I will invest more own funds and some dollars from investors.
If the Zcash developers continue to behave in a way that is at least ambiguous, there will be distaste, disappointment and the will
to support real libertarian projects. What I recommend and what I wish to all those supporting the Zcash project so far. Not for Bitmain and not for ASICs!

3 Likes

doesn’t bitmain have an ETH ASIC called the E3? not sure why people would go with XMR. XMR is a dog with fleas. XMR’s going to end-up with all the GPU miners. imo, those GPU miners will dump XMR into oblivion.

I’m sorry but Zcash is being judged here. All these coins, including yours have touted ASIC resistance. Miners invest in GPU hardware to mine your coin. If CPU/GPU miners had not committed to mining your coin in the beginning your project would have never gotten off the ground nor would it be worth a dime. This is how you repay the GPU miners? By not supporting them and not committing to continued ASIC resistance after all the support they gave your project since the beginning? Nice… Glad I don’t own any Zcash.

5 Likes

if you don’t own any zcash; why are you posting? seems weird!

2 Likes

Actually you are stubbornly ignoring the point, the point is that for the price of 2x 1080ti, which many miners own and many more are purchasing (so arguing it is out of reach of anyone who is actually a miner, is absurd) you can have the hashrate of 15x 1080ti, at the electric consumption at 10% of same 15x 1080ti.

same hashrate
7x cheaper hardware cost
10x less electric used

sure, you are valid that “whoever can afford to go all in on z9 will use same electric”, but you ignore that they will have spend 7x less on hardware and produced 10x the hashrate with same electric to secure the network.

your arguement is strawmans anyways, I think if everyone wants to have an opinion count, devteam need to make an address, and allow deposit 1ZEC = 1 vote, and see how many ZEC falls on which side of the line. put money where your mouth is or go mine “most profitable coin of the day” as you likely already do and always have.

1 Like

and yes, i started mine years ago with 1x 480 in gaming rig, and built up to 36 card over the years. currently making 13kSol on ~4kw/H

and yes also I buy z9. If ZEC stayed equihash I will sell all 36 my cards and spend the 20k USD on asic, and produce 120kSol/s on same 3600Kw\h.

The one retain their ability to hop coin and dump ZEC any time that ZEC isn’t top of Whattomine is GPU miner.

ASIC miner is the one committed to the ZEC cause by their purchase of dedicated mashine

early post delete from mistake of english, not my native tongue

1 Like

Sounds like your saying that’s what “you” did. I’m sure others did as well. But the majority…we mine/mined Zcash, even if there wasn’t must profit in it, or none at all at times. We believed it would pay off in the end…now our reward is a giant middle finger it seems. Your inviting the lion to dinner thinking I’ll get 120k sols/s for the same power consumption etc etc etc…true, but so will “others”, which will dilute what you can make…and eventually your little ASIC farm will get priced out…just like GPU farms, and all that will be left are the “big fish” all beholding to Big Daddy Bitmain.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for chiming in. :slight_smile: I hear you.

That would be fundamentally flawed and easily gamed. Multiple addresses, deposit on whichever side your for. Yeah what a great idea lol.

@zooko We all hope U hear us!

1 Like

They kept it for months and I bet they planned to keep it for years look at the version number 9 in
Antminer Z9 mini did they have 8 previous miners before this one and no one heard of it?
What made them sell now is because they are afraid of hard fork. When things settle expect them to make Z10 and Z11 with much higher hashrate but they will never sell them

1 Like

I’m inappropriate. I didn’t call anyone names. I didn’t call anyone a troll. I called out troll behavior…and rubbing the ASIC in the mining communities face like “WOOHOO THIS IS AWESOME” on twitter is being a troll Zooko. You know full well you were going to stir people up…but I’m getting censored for calling out your bad behavior.

That’s the Voice and Face of ZcashCo?? We have to be cordial and refrain from saying mean things that might hurt his feels, but he can essentially act like a giant jack A** on every social media platform and that’s ok.

You just proved the point I made about don’t dare say anything that might make ZcashCo (Zooko) think about their actions.

1 Like

I just created account to comment. If do not mine ZEC. So my comments can be seen as outsider.

I currently mine ETH and BTC only. Anything that is not BTC does need community support. Why would people mine/use this currency if the fundamentals are not honored by the dev team? I am not against ASIC mining but against people/team who goes back on the initial specs.

4 Likes

‘same hashrate
7x cheaper hardware cost
10x less electric used’
BITCOIN is worth 165 billion ..Zcash 1 billion …still best off the best bitcoin ASIC miner you can buy will make you only 2-3$ , require 1600W PSU and is loud as airplane …how is that possible…because no one sell money machine if they have it…they keep for them real thing that makes money and sell you some overpriced crap that will just put more money in 2 their pockets.
This ASIC look good its because they want 2 buy miners…so ASIC look good…but just few month down the road they will make it garbage and 95% off coins will be mined by them …like in every other ASIC coin …they control how much will cost you ,how much you can earn or lose …they control everything

1 Like

thanks for the input! shouldn’t you be mining ETC since ETC is the real ETH?