Protocol For Emergency ZOMG Updates

Actually, what I proposed was resigning and putting my faith in voters on the ZCAP to choose the best replacement for me. Subtle difference, but important for democratic principles I think, so noting here!

Hah! Yes, this would be bad and totally broken/undemocratic!

I’m 100% with you and Shawn on this one, which is why I’m not crazy about “next in line” since in some ways it gives us more say over our replacement than the community—since we get to decide whether to stay or replace ourselves with the next person in line. I don’t think we should have this power.

I wrote up some more thoughts about replacement mechanisms—any thoughts on these?

I actually agree with this, even though I proposed what I did.

Your vote for me expressed a preference that I’d be on the panel, so by resigning I’d be going against your preference and letting you down.

That’s one reason my preference was to have a random approach to one of us stepping down, so that we (ZOMG) could agree on the goal, but not exercise power in how we achieve that goal, or even whether it’s ultimately achieved, or over which voters get let down—since we’d be choosing randomly and then putting our faith in the ZCAP to elect a replacement.

It’s complicated though.

Another way to look at it is that the ZCAP is “hiring” us to do a job, which is sort of what’s happening albeit as contractors paid monthly and not employees.

And every employer knows that if you don’t create a healthy and productive working environment, your best employees will take their very valuable skills elsewhere.

I’m used to managing teams, so this is how Sarah’s resignation felt for me. It felt like losing somebody good. That is, that as a community, we failed to create a good working environment for Sarah, so we lost her. An employer can think of team members quitting as a betrayal if they want to. But their business will do better if instead they look at the loss of a good team member as some failure of their own, and look at why it happened, and try to address the issues to keep it from happening again. That’s how teams/businesses improve and get stronger as they mature. And I think it’s how anyone who voted for Sarah and supported her work on ZOMG should look at this case.