Railgun Questions (zk-snarks on Eth)

So I recently discovered railgun which claims to bring zcash tech to layer 1 eth. They have plans for DEXs, NFTs, DeFI, everything.

Could this be a threat to zcash if they are using our tech?

Also, does anyone know if they are using Orchard/NU5 or are using a trusted setup?

Their whitepaper seems unfinished which is odd (https://assets.railgun.ch/docs/whitepaper/Railgun%20Project%20Whitepaper%20-%20July%202021.pdf), it ends right at the page of the privacy section. So they don’t really go into how it works.

Their website is railgun.ch.

I’m worried that if ethereum gets the hard work of our devs, that zcash itself would be less necessary, and people wouldn’t want ZSAs etc.

Edit: Also it appears aztec is doing similar stuff as well with zcash tech, though I’m not sure if they are using trustless setup or not

What are people’s concerns with other projects using zcash’s groundbreaking tech, and the affects that could have on zcash itself?

2 Likes

See my reply on other thread re the set up.

In regards to whether or not this is a competitor to Zcash I don’t see it that way. If anything this complements privacy eco system as a whole. It allows Zcash users to hold ZEC in a shielded balance on Ethereum (using renZEC).

1 Like