Staked Poll on Zcash Dev Fund Debate

Ah more rhetoric based on emotion and no engagement with the actual arguments people are making. I’m sorry Zooko, I didn’t mean to put words in your mouth, I believe that was an accurate summary of your position. If you feel it miss represents your position, my apologies.

Here is a version using quotes instead.

You: " But, what we have in Zcash already works, and it is a beautiful thing. We used it last time around, and it was a success.”

Everyone else: But thats not the case. The voices we heard last time we did this were tiny and could purchased in their entirety for $600 in interest plus temporary collateral.

You: “But even if there is such an attack, I think that the sincere Zcash coin-holders are much, much more numerous both in terms of number of individuals and in terms of total stake.

Everyone: It would have cost $600 dollars to buy those voices last time, nothing stops someone from buying them this time. We have no way of knowing they are honest and many reasons to think they won’t be. And the attack wouldn’t be to make a point, it would be to manipulation the vote and get more money from removing or keeping the cap. The attacker is very well motivated.

You: “I think it is a speculation, coming from “Perfectionism and Worry (PAW)”. I think that in practice, coin-holders who sincerely believe in the future of Zcash are willing and able to speak with a much louder voice than saboteurs are. If I’m wrong, let’s prove it with cold, hard reality, on the blockchain.”

Everyone: Yeah, that’s not how security works: you look at what an attacker could do. And we know they could have bought the vote for $600. Things aren’t secure based on optimism.

You: " I think that the sincere Zcash coin-holders are much, much more numerous both in terms of number of individuals and in terms of total stake."

Also you “Warning: some cybercoin experts say that doing this would be dangerous and disgraceful! So if you’re the sort of person who responds to that kind of finger-wagging exhortation, you’d better not participate. See also extensive warning labels plastered all over the instructions.”

4 Likes