Zcash Browser Wallet Library

Hey Zcash community!

ChainSafe Systems has submitted a proposal to expand the ZCash ecosystem by building and offering developers a browser-compatible library offering essential primitives for web wallets and browser plugins.

You can view the full grant application here.

Thank you so much for your support! <3

Bryant
bryant@chainsafe.io

9 Likes

Hi @bryant.chainsafe - Thank you for submitting your grant proposal! We will review it in the upcoming weeks and reach out if we have any questions.

In the meantime, if you have any questions for us, you can post them to this thread or DM us at @ZcashGrants.

Zcash Community - We want to hear your feedback on this grant! You can post your comments to this thread or DM us at @ZcashGrants if you’d like to provide feedback in private.

1 Like

wonderful!

1 Like

It is a library only? A wallet (like Metamask) isn’t part of the grant?
Personally, I am not keen on proposals that don’t have a user facing app.

3 Likes

Can we have a roundup and accounting on all the web/wasm attempts at a Zcash wallet? This is an idea that I have always liked but several people have thrown some hours at the problem without a ringing success (even I). What exactly happened with these efforts and what are the current statuses?

1 Like

FYI for anyone who missed the chainsafe research phase Zcash SDK Implementation [JS/TS] - Proposal - #49 by ec2

4 Likes

Hey! For full transparency our v1 of this proposal actually included the following as part of Milestone 5:
"Implement simple PoC wallet page using API

Upon running the proposal by the foundation it was suggested that we attempt to reduce the scope so as to bring the overall cost of the project down, without limiting the outcome of the project.

With this in mind, we reduced the cost significantly (as highlighted in the cost breakdown here: WebZjs Grant Application Breakdown - Google Docs )

In light of our completed feasibility study (see above) and pending further feedback from the foundation and community, should it be decided that the PoC is still essential in getting this passed, ChainSafe will be willing to support this request.

I hope that this helps!! :slight_smile:
Bryant

Well, I wasn’t referring to a PoC but a full fledged wallet.

Anyway, it is up to the committee to decide.

In my opinion, this is a step forward.

3 Likes

Does the link to the research phase address this concern @skyl ? If not, cc’ing my colleague @Wollum-ChainSafe in here should he have anything more to add. :slight_smile:

I’m not referencing chainsafe or these efforts directly but there were more efforts historically. I think “Zephyr” was one … I think there were more … I can maybe look more closely later but chatgpt found a few things.