Zcash Community Grants Meeting Minutes 2/19/2024

Below, please find the latest ZCG meeting minutes and Public Dashboard link.


  • Amber
  • Brian
  • Gguy
  • Jason
  • Michael
  • Alex (ZF resource)
  • Dan (ZF resource)
  • Jack (ZF resource)
  • Deidra M (notetaker)

Key Takeaways:

Open Grant Proposals

  • Zcash SDK Implementation [JS/TS] - This proposal is from Chainsafe. The original proposal asked for $300,000 to implement and maintain a TypeScript SDK to enable more Zcash capabilities in-browser. Jason summarized the amended proposal to reflect the $35,000 feasibility study. The feasibility study will attempt to verify that an SDK could be built out and that any known issues will not impede its completion. This study will involve the following:
    • Verify that the WASM environment will not constrain the browser JS engine and can run as intended.
    • Verify there are no network connectivity constraints and establish communication between the client and blockchain network.
    • Implement a small POC that will showcase the ability to implement the proposed solution, which is a TypeScript SDK that would enable more Zcash capabilities in-browser.
    • ZCG went around to give their votes on the record. Amber voiced the committee’s initial hesitation around this grant. She said past teams with similar goals have had technical difficulties, so having a proof of concept set in place is the best way to move forward.
    • The committee unanimously approved this amended proposal with the caveat that the Chainsafe team reflect the amended proposal in the forum so the community is aware of those changes. Dan will reach out to Chainsafe to ensure this is done.
    • This grant will be categorized as Research & Development, and the frequency reporting requirement will be milestone-based updates.
  • Zcash Grants and Ecosystem Observer - The Grant3 team submitted this proposal, and they’re requesting $25,326 to develop a comprehensive database and user-friendly interface for Zcash grantees and ecosystem projects. The platform aims to enhance transparency and accessibility of grantee information, which would benefit Zcash community members and potential applicants. The deliverables include a fully functional website with grantee listings, an analytics hub, individual grantee pages, and social media spotlight content. Jason said the grantee built a proof of concept and shared it on the forum late last year. Jason provided them with the Dashboard and other information about the grants program, which they used for their website’s data. Sharp P expressed to Jason that he wasn’t looking for a grant for this at the time, but if the community found it helpful, Sharp would apply for a retroactive grant.
    • The committee discussed this at their latest brainstorm and voted to reject this proposal because it is overpriced for what the grant is and out of scope based on limited funding. ZCG will also refer them to apply for the Minor Grants program.
  • Transparent and Shielded DEX with Maya Protocol - Jason outlined this grant. This proposal is from Hanh and asks for $110,000 to integrate Zcash into the decentralized exchange Maya Protocol, a Thorchain fork. Jason gave the history of this proposal. In January, ZCG initiated discussions with the Maya Protocol team, prompted by concerns surrounding the Binance situation. The committee expressed their interest in making DEX support a top priority for Zcash. The Maya Protocol team met with the committee to outline the project’s timeline of a few months for integration. Afterward, ZCG reevaluated the Thorchain grant, opting to cancel the remaining milestones. Recognizing Hahn’s proven track record for delivering results, ZCG approached him with the proposal, to which he expressed interest and subsequently submitted this grant.
    • ZCG members shared their perspectives on the grant. Michael expressed enthusiasm for Zcash’s expanded offerings and emphasized his lack of concern regarding address types. Gguy affirmed the grant’s importance and voted for approval. Amber concurred. Brian supported the grant, citing Hahn’s track record and Y Wallet’s usability, though he expressed some reservations about liquidity and pricing. Jason echoed the committee’s sentiments and emphasized the potential for integration into other wallets like Zingo and Zashi.
    • ZCG unanimously approved this grant with the category Integration and monthly updates.
      • Amber added that because of issues with delays from past and present grantees, monthly updates are better, even if they are quick updates, so there is constant contact with most grantees. Brian and Jason agreed.
    • Jason discussed the importance of liquidity and stated that the primary reason Zcash needs DEX support is to offer an alternative trading platform in case centralized exchanges delist Zcash. There may not be much liquidity at the start, but if delistings on centralized exchanges did occur, some transaction volume would naturally flow to decentralized exchanges, and therefore, over time, DEX liquidity would increase organically. He also said that at the start, ZCG should encourage community members to serve as liquidity providers.

Brainstorm Session Follow-Ups

  • Zingo: Milestone #3
    • Last week, Zancas posted on the forum his intent to adjust Milestone 3 for the same payout of $62,500. ZCG needs to approve or reject Zancas amendments.
    • Jack said that in Zancas’ posts, he mentions that he is awaiting “ZF collaboration” but is unclear on the type of collaboration and his expectations. Zancas’ post was also the first time ZF had heard of such an ask from him. Jack contacted Zancas via the forum to ask for clarification on this.
    • The committee unanimously approved this milestone, contingent upon Zancas’ response to Jack’s inquiry.
  • Zcash Media
    • ZCG reviewed 3 full-length videos and 18 shorts sent by the Zcash Media team. The committee and 37 Laines are set to meet on Feb 20th to discuss the videos and give feedback. So far, there has yet to be a distribution plan set, and Milestone 1 still needs to be completed as 3 more long-form videos are due, all of which will be discussed at said meeting.

When can we watch Zcash Media videos?

We want the videos to come out one by one instead of all at once.

We can’t wait to see the results.

At what point do we call the whole thing off?

1 Like

It took over a year to fix the sandblasting… we’re on track for over a year to get these videos. Seems about right.

1 Like