Zcash Thorchain Integration Grant

@Blazin8888 - Here’s the most recent update from December 5th:

1 Like

After several attempts to communicate with Adi and the Nighthawk team over the past two weeks, with no meaningful response, and in light of the slow progress on the Thorchain grant since its approval in November 2021, the Zcash Community Grants committee has unanimously decided to cancel the remaining milestones of this grant, which total $103,304.

ZCG recognizes the urgent need for DEX support for Zcash and is committed to exploring alternative solutions to meet this need.

13 Likes

and again the nighthawk team has under delivered, i hope this was the last grant that they received!

2 Likes

all sunk costs. just need to keep plugging the leaks.

1 Like

:clap:

[10 char]

5 Likes

The track record has not been very good. From the screenshots you posted at twitter it is clear that you were not very responsive, replying back after weeks to Dan(received message on dec 5 and replied back on jan 18, that also when he contacted you back and then too asked him to get in touch with vamsi). Its seems you have taken this grant for granted.

Btw I am just curious about where are your devs based at? In particular Vamsi?
For a team based out in India, I can easily hire the best of talent for half that you have already received.

Only thing that will change my mind about your team’s work is that if you deliver on the rest of the entire work and then ask for the release of the pending milestone payments.

4 Likes

Too late. Trust and opportunity lost.

2 Likes

Adi posted about it on Twitter after it was already posted here.

Just saw this on Twitter.

:cry: I hope this is a misunderstanding and can be sorted out.

Between the delays, and IMO unlikelihood the TC integration would be accepted, I don’t mind the cancellation. From a fiscal responsibility position, and due to the delays incurred, I believe not only is the grant cancellation fair yet any reinstatement should have all milestones contingent on mainnet deployment.

If the integration was to be developed, yet wasn’t deployed or was deployed distinctly, that’d offer a distinct return on value justifying a distinct discussion IMO.

4 Likes

I don’t want to sound callous, but it’s been 2 years. What difference would a few weeks make?

Edit: I suggest the introduction of a sunset clause like in property development contracts.

6 Likes

I stand by my support of ZCG cancelling it.

Life is cruel, but business is business.

5 Likes

I don’t think you are callous. You are making a reasonable question.

The way I see it, there are two parts in the post from ZCG: problems with recent comms and grant progress

I’m referring to the “lack of communication” part in the last two weeks which is being disputed.

By reading Adi’s posts, there’s an apparent mixup that shall be clarified.

About the progress. I don’t have an insight on that and it’s something that ZCG and Grantees must agree upon so it’s not my place to emit an opinion.

By reading the public info there is in the forums (and now in social media), some progress was being made, delays were acknowledged by Adi’s team and apparently he was looking forward to meet with ZCG.

Also by taking public info, ZCG is communicating they believe there has not been progress adequately reported to them and they have not been able to communicate with the grantee.

Just to be super clear. I’m not taking anyone’s side.

I’m just trying to understand what happened, and hoping that everything can be sorted out the best possible way for the benefit of the ecosystem as a whole.

1 Like

There were other communications somehow left out of the public laundry airing. While it’s certainly possible that there has been a misunderstanding, and while I’m of course sympathetic to the personal issues, Adi’s response was completely inappropriate:

As to the point about compensating employees currently working on cancelled milestones, I’d be curious to see how much progress had been made as of yesterday. There haven’t been any git commits that I’m aware of.

2 Likes

thanks for the insight @ambimorph

i was already thinking why he didn’t write anything here in the forum. but after reading through the old messages from this grant it became pretty clear what was going on.

This X thread is outrageous and full of half truths. It manages to insult the committee (not for the first time), publish some private messages (presumably without consent) while leaving out other relevant private messages thus leaving a false impression of the communication flow, and takes zero responsibility in owning up to ample performance and communication issues.

I assume Adi would not like the private communication he sent to ZF/ZCG earlier yesterday publicly analyzed here, so I won’t quote it.

Suffice it to say that the entire conduct has been unprofessional in the same vein as it was last year when we offered him a reduced (not denied) grant to maintain NH due to budgetary constraints. All wallets had capped funding last year.

While it would be nice to have multiple working wallets, we cannot continue to fund three at the rates we did previously. Right now we simply have to triage. For example, we consider DEX support to be more important than continuing to fully support three wallets.

Think to yourself how you would approach such news after being unresponsive and underperformant. Would you be embarrassed? Would you be apologetic and own up to your mistakes? Would you privately contact ZCG members and explain your circumstances, or would you publicly call them incompetent and ask for sympathy for the employers that you didn’t look out for?

13 Likes

@aiyadt first of all I hope all is ok with you. I think its safe to say the community doesn’t want this grant to fail, or to get canceled, but to bring positive change to Zcash. At the same time, the community must honor the guard rails/rules of the grant system at the respect of the $ZEC holders. Coming from my own experiences, losing a loved one can be challenging :broken_heart:. When you are able and willing, I hope you can clear up any misunderstandings because the last thing we need is everyone mad at each other over things that weren’t communicated effectively. Until this conversation happens, I agree with cancellation, especially considering ZGC mentioned they were moving in this direction for all grantees.

I do have to be honest though, I was a bit shocked when I read your thread on Twitter because I think it would have been more effective as a private conversation. I was planning on staying out of the mix, but I wanted to communicate my support to you once it was revealed you were grieving, shields up.

:zebra: :shield:

8 Likes

From the 01/22 ZCG Meeting Minutes:

deleted by user, merged into relevant thread.

Zcash Media is responsive and in regular private communication with ZCG, never trash talks ZCG or blames their delays on other people, and collaborates with understanding on meeting constraints and adapting to evolving circumstances.

We all get it that you don’t like the grant. I’m talking about professionalism and grace in the face of setbacks.

5 Likes