Zecweb.com - online zcash wallet

Hi tokidoki,

1. Are you saying that you will use zcashd directly with a web interface? Yes
  2. Do you have any working prototype for this? Yes, please visit LEARN , you can see both orchard & sapling transactions completed, each of the eight videos show the usage of our setup. In my experience when helping individuals learn zcash, showing what is involved in a transparent transaction than a shielded transactions is when the light goes on for the new user.
  3. How did you arrive to thinking that this idea is going to work? Consumers need choice! Iā€™ve been using zcash along time, trying to explain it to many individuals, the growth of the blockchain, user experience challenges with light-clients, my dislike for lightwalletd, my belief in the browser, an ultimately the need inside industry for service providers, industry needs assistance. Industry/business are not going to learn inside forums or wait on support tickets.
    Thanks for the post
    Anyway, good luck with your project, you people/individuals are doing some cool things.
1 Like

Hi David_Heisenberg,
Yes, you can visit the site, click learn zcash, watch all eight videos to see some of the features.

Good luck with zcash media, sure your dreaming up some great editorial lines to take!

Is there anything technically stopping you from being able to make transactions with usersā€™ funds without their permission?

2 Likes

David_Heisenberg ā€œā€ Very interesting. Iā€™d say yes. The pros of making zec more spendable outweigh the cons of Flexaā€™s custody as long as the custody situation is made clear to the user when loading the Flexa account. ā€œā€

Cloud service providers are not self custody solutions. Zecweb has communicated this clearly Is zcash risky. We communicate it and have discussed this with clients.

Its interesting, that ywallet is now exploring how to integrate a non self-custody solution, an their poll is currently at 60%-40%,.

THE LAW, we are located in a country with legal standards.

Consumers need choice. Communicate clearly, lets not bar developers from building, an innovating because one segment believes wholly that all users should all the time only use self custody solutions.

As the author of Ywallet, I explicitly said I am in favor of self-custody.
Besides, your proposal lacks any information about how you plan to safe guard customer funds and what secops process will be in place (cold wallet, multi sig, etc.). The law is not a technical safety.
Finally, letā€™s not associate the risk involved in crypto with the risks of giving custody to a third party. FTX was just classic fraud (allegedly) and could have used any asset.

4 Likes

Hi Hanh, Iā€™m not trying to debate what you favor or not. It is to highlight in a small poll which is being conducted, 40% of users are (ok), with a non self-custody solution as long as it is communicated. As most creators in any industry you are trying to understand what are users actually doing.

Good luck with Ywallet

Sorry if my question came off as leading. I was just making sure of the technical parameters surrounding your product.

I would say that not all custodial solutions are created equally. To say this product uses the same framework of trust guarantees as Flexa does not seem accurate. In addition, the Ywallet integration is a potentially nice hybrid of having a self-custody solution with a point of service custodian solution that offers a specific advantage - technology that allow ZEC to be spendable IRL. Users could only load up how much they are willing to spend, similar to a gift card as has been mentioned.

To be happy with supporting a custody solution, Iā€™d have to again say the pros need to outweigh the cons. Pros for me would typically be that the solution has a good chance to increase ZEC usage, which comes from having a provider with a large network, brand, integrations, etc. To me the Flexa solution fits this equation.

For me itā€™s crazy we are entertaining this idea.

Thereā€™s nothing built and every point in the website points to either an amateur (nothing wrong but donā€™t ask for 100k USD) or someone without deep care into what they built.

• The products page lists node connections as a differential factor!!
  • Thereā€™s a limit of Z-addresses per product, which doesnā€™t make sense!
  • The CustomWallet thing doesnā€™t have anything on it.
  • The website doesnā€™t work
  • The website doesnā€™t even send an email of sign-up!
  • The FAQ page with where it lists the supply and the price is not even updated in real-time, itā€™s an HTML with data from 2 months ago.
  • Actually, look at the whole FAQ
  • The ā€œIs Zcash Riskyā€ page says to hold funds in multiple shielded pools??

Nothing wrong in having an early product, being a junior developer or anything like that. But a community entertaining the idea of a $100,000 funding with the ā€œworkā€ shown here is absolutely bonkers. I think itā€™s dangerous and harmful to readers to keep the promotion of visibility on this subject (and wasteful - if thatā€™s how ZCG manages its timeā€¦Iā€™m worried).

Hi tloriato,
Thanks for all your feed back. I like reading your thoughts when they donā€™t get deleted.

tioriato "Zcash isnā€™t ready to be adopted as of right now for multiple reasons (lack of SPV, lack of wallets, lack of HD addresses). "

tioriato ā€œZcashā€™s technological side were ready (it isnā€™t), I sadly couldnā€™t recommend people to deeply use it as I do today with Bitcoin because it simply doesnā€™t make sense.ā€

I take all your points, thanks good luck!

It is possible to evaluate both good and bad ideas with the same level of equanimity.

2 Likes

@kworks, thank you for your submission. After consideration from @ZcashGrants, and sufficient time for the community to provide feedback on the forum, the committee has decided to reject this proposal.

(You can reference the recently posted ZCG Meeting Minutes to see the notes regarding this proposal.(Zcash Community Grants Meeting Minutes 1/9/23))

The committee appreciates your passion for Zcash and your grant submission efforts and encourages you continue as an active member of the Zcash community going forward both here on the forum and the below avenues as well if you are interested.

IMO Zcash really really needs a nice browser wallet. But, it should be a non-custodial lightwallet that runs in the browser.

npm install zcash-wallet

This would create so many possibilities.

What is the status of Zephyr? I was thinking about taking another look at @hanh 's code and seeing if i could try to force it into the browser. Doing that would be worth some serious funds.

2 Likes